View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Sept. 3

Rate this Entry
by , September 4th, 2013 at 04:32 PM (800 Views)
Drylands:

RC/scap, 10 min
power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
crunches on yoga ball with feet on wall, 2 x 25
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
twists w/30 lb ball, 2 x 15
captains chair leg raises, 2 x 15
hip abductors, 100 x 4 x 8
low row negatives, 70 x 3 x 8
glute isolator, 70 x 3 x 8 each leg
tricep press, 80 x 4 x 8
overhead squats w/bar, 15
knee tuck jumps, 10
handstands, 10

Swim/SCY/ Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
8 x 50 w/agility paddles @ 1:10
odds = front scull
evens = caterpillar fly drill
8 x 25 shooters w/fins
50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
100 EZ

4 x (100 AFAP + 200 EZ)
-- broken for :10 @ 25s
-- the last length of fly was dreadful and I wasn't even going real AFAP

6 x 25 w/chute @ 1:00
150 EZ

Total: 3050

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was first back to back dryland + swim double since .... May? April? I was pretty tired after, especially since I had done a hard workout the day before. I'm kind of sore today. I noticed that I did 11 spins between 60-90 minutes in August. I can't say it helped my swimming even one little bit!

Tonight is my first night coaching Team Pitt Masters. It's stroke night and this is the workout the A lanes are doing. It's somewhat different than what they're used to doing ... hope I'm not unpopular.

WEDNESDAY: STOKE, A GROUP

Warm up:

2 x through
100 free
100 stroke
100 Pull
100 Kick, work UWs

Main Sets:

5 x 200 free w/paddles @ 2:30
1:00 rest

3 x (5 x 100 stroke) @ 2:00
R1 = swim, first 50 fast @ 100 pace, second 50 smooth
R2 = IM, option: 5-7 SDKs off each wall for fly/back/free
R3 = kick, first 25 fast
100 EZ

8 x 75 (25 drill + 25 perfect stroke + 25 fast) @ 1:20
-- 2 of each stroke
50 EZ

1 x 200 AFAP stroke, broken @ 50s for :10
200 EZ

Total: 4450

Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 3" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 3" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 3" to Google

Comments

You are a very versatile coach, I'll have you know. That looks like a great stroke workout even if the yardage is a little high for my weakened state these days. I'm bookmarking it as I have to gte back to IM training after I do my OW race in La Jolla this weekend.
    I like the workout It's got a nice mix of speed and distance. I may borrow this one for one of the public swim sessions I periodically have to do. If you reduced the interval on the 100s it would look a little bit like an animal lane work out.
    Thanks guys! I got some curious looks about what SDK and AFAP were, but it seemed to go down fairly well. Definitely could be adapted for a pure animal workout.
    Terrific "A Lane" workout with excellent organization, flexibility, and options that allows an array of adult masters swimmers with various stroke preferences to personalize the stroke and drill sets. I would think that any Masters 'swammer' or the advanced late starter would have enjoyed this workout.

Many times over I have learned that there is nothing like swimming to get in shape for swimming! Of course dryland, PT, and various cross training activities are useful, but there is no substitute for water. I have also done spinning sessions, which are a great workout, particularly if one is an active Cyclist.

As you get established in your daily activities and eventually find the best ways to do your dryland and swim sessions towards consistency, you will rebuild and redevelop yourself as the awesome fast swimmer that you are, and even more so!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Terrific "A Lane" workout with excellent organization, flexibility, and options that allows an array of adult masters swimmers with various stroke preferences to personalize the stroke and drill sets. I would think that any Masters 'swammer' or the advanced late starter would have enjoyed this workout.

Many times over I have learned that there is nothing like swimming to get in shape for swimming! Of course dryland, PT, and various cross training activities are useful, but there is no substitute for water. I have also done spinning sessions, which are a great workout, particularly if one is an active Cyclist.

As you get established in your daily activities and eventually find the best ways to do your dryland and swim sessions towards consistency, you will rebuild and redevelop yourself as the awesome fast swimmer that you are, and even more so!
    Thanks Frank. Your posts are always so thoughtful. Right now, getting my daughter settled is the most important thing on my mind. She's pretty miserable so far. Training seems relatively unimportant in comparison. But I hope to get in decent sprint shape by Dec. We will see!
    This looks like a good option for me, though it may be a bit much on the IM for me currently. I've been mainly doing all freestyle lately, but I could switch it up a bit today. I may have to try this and see how far I get, provided I have the lane space with the
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    This looks like a good option for me, though it may be a bit much on the IM for me currently. I've been mainly doing all freestyle lately, but I could switch it up a bit today. I may have to try this and see how far I get, provided I have the lane space with the
    Looks like you did a good job on it! I may have to keep posting my stroke workouts here!