View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 49 - Thursday

Rate this Entry
Today I awoke sore and tired like the rest of this week.i was pretty sore and tired throughout this workout but was pleased with the fact I pushed through this one. This was one of the tougher workouts I have done in a while both physically and mentally.

warmup
600 free with snorkel
10x50 catchup on 50

Main set
4x(3x100 on 1.10, 2x50 on 30)
3x(2x50 kick with fins on 1min, 100 kick with fins on 58)
4x200 free on 2.40 with snorkel long and easy on 2.40

Warm down
200 easy

Total 4300

I held 1.00-1.01 on the fast 100s and 28s on the fast 50s. I was very pleased with this set especially since I felt so sore throughout. The kick was good and I used the 50s as active recovery and went 54s on the fast 100 kicks with fins on my back, with good SDKs off the walls. I am very muscle sore right now and not looking forward to weights tonight.

Submit "Week 49 - Thursday" to Digg Submit "Week 49 - Thursday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 49 - Thursday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 49 - Thursday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

When do you plan on doing weights? I need to join because in unmotivated to do it myself. Nice workout today!
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    When do you plan on doing weights? I need to join because in unmotivated to do it myself. Nice workout today!
    I just got back and I am sore already, dread to think how bad I will feel tomorrow at practice. I am going to try to lift on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6.30-7.30. Abi is going to do a stroke lesson on Thursday evenings at that time with Tom, so it makes sense for me to do it when she is swimming. My only challenge will be work and my ability to leave at 5 to make it by 6.30.
    Nice workout with the fast broken 1600 FR swim, then fast fin kicking, followed by an efficient technique snorkel swim.

For myself, if my muscles are very sore coming in to a dryland strength session, I would substitute active stretching with bands, basic core activities, etc., or skip the session. The water training is the most important and I would not want my dryland to dilute my effectiveness there. The more quality swimming I do, the less dryland strength I can do the same day, so my dryland quality days are on my easier swim days.

If your acute soreness fades after several days or a week, I would think all is well. Last year I think you went through several training phases of aching soreness and rugged adaptations, so perhaps now these training transitions will be faster and less painful, (or maybe just overly optimistic thinking!).
    I think you are right about me having similar soreness when I upped my distance previously. I am pretty sure its just normal ache and pain, and nothing to worry about. I hope I adjust pretty quickly. This week was a short week with no practice on Labor day but our yardage has gone up and will continue to go up for the next two weeks. I suspect by the end of the two weeks I will be back into the swing of longer workouts.