View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013 ...a page from Leslie

Rate this Entry
I was looking through the blogs the other day, and saw that Leslie had written a workout for the "A Group" masters practice group at Pitt, and it looked pretty good. I decided to give it a shot on my own this morning at the Y, and luckily had a lane to myself.
I have to admit, I'm more out of shape than I thought, 'cause I had to bail on the workout after 3000 yards. Thanks Leslie!

Warmup (slightly modified from her assigned one):

100 Free
100 Stroke (Back)
200 Free Pull
200 SDK w/ short fins on back
100 Stroke (Back)
100 Free
(800/800)

5 x 200 Free Pull w/ TYR Catalyst paddles (her plan was paddles only) @ 2:30
ranged from 2:20-2:22
I hit on the first one at 2:20, and knew this was going to be a killer, especially in my "out of shape" state that I'm currently in. Glad there was only 5 of them...though 3 would've been better.
(1000/1800)

about a minute rest

5 x 100 Free (50 Fastish / 50 EZ cruise) @ 2:00
my total times were around 1:13s, but the first 50 was up-tempo
5 x 100 IM @ 2:00 (held around 1:25s)
I was just swimming these, and couldn't put forth much more effort.
(1000/2800)

200 EZ and out

------------------------------
3000 Yards in ~45 minutes

=======================================

There was another round of 5 x 100s after the IMs but I couldn't remember what she had in the sequence. Yeah, I tried to remember the whole thing, and did decent at that. I knew there were some 75s stroke after that, and a AFAP 200 broken, but I wasn't having any of that today.

I did go and renew my YMCA membership today. I figure with my new job on swing shift, and getting done at 11:00pm, plus winding down after work, I don't get to be till about 12-12:30am. I can't realistically think I'm going to be able to get up and swim, then function afterward for a 5:00am masters practice! I'm taking another page from Leslie and saying that! I'll just enjoy the later morning/lunchtime lap swims available at the Y pool. Yeah, it's warmer water, and yeah I may have to deal with noodler-type swimmers on occasion, but it's not really that bad. Plus I'm on more of a "relaxation period" with my swimming, as competition may not come around as often for me for a while.

Submit "Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013 ...a page from Leslie" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013 ...a page from Leslie" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013 ...a page from Leslie" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013 ...a page from Leslie" to Google

Comments

I'm looking forward to trying that workout from Leslie, as well. Maybe she'll put her name in the hat to be the online stroke/IM coach for 2014!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I'm looking forward to trying that workout from Leslie, as well. Maybe she'll put her name in the hat to be the online stroke/IM coach for 2014!
    It was a good one! I just wish I was in better shape than I currently am. Sometimes "my head overloads my butt"...to quote my father.
    Glad you gave it a whirl! I might try it myself sometime, but I would chop off those 5 x 200 free at the beginning.

Early morning is for sleeping! You know it!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Glad you gave it a whirl! I might try it myself sometime, but I would chop off those 5 x 200 free at the beginning.

Early morning is for sleeping! You know it!
    Oh Leslie...you know the rule: You write the workout, you show that you can do the workout! Those 200s did me in...

Now that I'm a night owl, it's just painful to wake up early. Even trying to see my kids before they go off to school is rough!
    My Y is going to be hell for 3 weeks when I have to work second shift. Thanks for reminding me with this post. Well, at least, you are able to do 5 x 200 free on 2:30. You aren't that out of shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    My Y is going to be hell for 3 weeks when I have to work second shift. Thanks for reminding me with this post. Well, at least, you are able to do 5 x 200 free on 2:30. You aren't that out of shape.
    Thanks Tom. On paper, it shows how I made the 5 x 200s with about 8 seconds rest, but my body was NOT ready for that at all! It drained me completely, and I was wishing I could just end it early. Oh wait, I could've... no coach on deck anymore