View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Finally! Thursday, Sept 5

Rate this Entry
by , September 5th, 2013 at 05:56 PM (2434 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:

600 various
6 x 50 scull/drill w/agility paddles @ 1:05
12 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40 -- I did an actual back shooter for the first time in months!
100 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
100 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
-- relieved to see that my times were about the usual on these

6 x (50 AFAP + 150 EZ)
-- fly (23 high), breast (28), fly-back (24), 3 x kick (25+s)
-- these times weren't too bad either, but technical execution was way off

8 x 50 DPS free w/paddles @ 1:00
100 EZ

Total: 3900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally swam in a nice pool today -- Pitt -- for the first time since June. Deep, cool, digital clocks everywhere. Ahhhh ... Also tried doing some real AFAP work for the first time in awhile. I felt pretty discombobulated. My breakouts were also atrocious. Shallow pools create bad habits, I guess. Unfortunately, that was the only decent part of the day. Lil Fort is not adapting well. The magnitude of change is great -- new city, new house, new school, new everything. She had her first XC race today with her middle school team. She tried to refuse to race and claimed she didn't feel well. Her coaches (who are great) somehow jollied her into it and she did win. I was worried she was going to tank it on purpose. So there is no happiness in mommy land right now. I think it's going to take a looong time. I'm not sure how focused I'll be on training until she's more settled.

Submit "Finally!  Thursday, Sept 5" to Digg Submit "Finally!  Thursday, Sept 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Finally!  Thursday, Sept 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Finally!  Thursday, Sept 5" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Well, at least one Fortress female was happy today. So, I gather, as a Pitt Masters coach, you get easy/all-access (?) to the pool during lap swimming hours. If so, that's awesome.

You know that moves are huge stressors on adults, but I have to believe that for kids, especially in middle school, it's even harder. Getting out there and racing, though, is going to help her. Glad you're happy with the coaches.
    you are right, shallow pools make for bad habits. My UW are horrible right now without access to a deep pool. That is a shame that your daughter isn't adjusting too well. It is hard to move to a different city at her age. Also, she left the DC area. That is depressing at any age.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Well, at least one Fortress female was happy today. So, I gather, as a Pitt Masters coach, you get easy/all-access (?) to the pool during lap swimming hours. If so, that's awesome.

You know that moves are huge stressors on adults, but I have to believe that for kids, especially in middle school, it's even harder. Getting out there and racing, though, is going to help her. Glad you're happy with the coaches.
    It's a little vague. But the AD seemed to agree that I could have access during rec swim hours. It was never an issue before bc the am coach doesn't really swim anymore. Today, I was there anyway taking a water safety/CPR course. Tomorrow, I'm just going to swim after practice.

The move has definitely been more stressful on me than I anticipated. A lot of that spinning was just because I didn't even want to leave the house and venture into the world. But, yes, middle school/puberty years are really poor times to move. We were just waiting for Teen Fort to go off to college.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    you are right, shallow pools make for bad habits. My UW are horrible right now without access to a deep pool. That is a shame that your daughter isn't adjusting too well. It is hard to move to a different city at her age. Also, she left the DC area. That is depressing at any age.
    Yes, very convinced that shallow pools can create bad habits. One doesn't have to worry about breakouts in 3-4 feet of water.

It's leaving her friends that has caused all the angst. She was in the same elementary school for 7 years, same soccer team for 7 years, same summer league team for 7 years. She's never had any real change, and tended to dislike any small change.
    I am glad that you were able to enjoy a good swim session in a great facility today, although it was just a temporary quiet moment from your devoted efforts to encourage and comfort your emerging teenager daughter immersed in a difficult swirl of awkward adjustment and discomfort with nearly a 99% different world as she knew it. There is really no simple way out. You will have to be patient and persevere as you have been doing. It will take time, but she will eventually adapt with the support of your family and hopefully new friends.

I agree you will not have any real inner peace to focus on your swimming until your daughter appears to be making progress towards accepting your new life as it is. When we came to FL, both my daughter and son wanted to go back to their previous home and schools in GA for about the first 10 weeks of school, then over time they appreciated that we made the move, (our daughter continues to make occasional comparisons to the past). During our first several months in Florida, my wife and I were anxious and concerned, but we always told our kids they were doing great and will adjust. My daughter eventually made new friends, but that is easier for a younger child. Our son still maintains online friendships with previous elementary school classmates from Princeton-NJ, and previous middle school classmate from Augusta-GA, in addition to his current Fort Myers High School friends.

Question regarding UW and SDK. As I have become better at kicking, I can go faster and farther under water than I could previously. Now in butterfly I have trouble timing the breakout because I am too deep on the first stroke, this will occur from push offs and more so from dives. Any tips?
    We moved in '65 from Bay Shore, LI, NY to West Hartford, Ct. when my Dad was transferred; "greasers" were it in Bay Shore at that time, and West Hartford, Ct was all "preppies." I had finished 9th and my younger sister was heading into 6th (I think). Quite a culture shock, plus losing all of our friends and teammates from many years of AG sports and other activities.

For me sports was a saving grace, providing a place for a relatively shy kid to create a name for himself - yes new teammates in soccer, swimming, and track, but lots of opportunities to make new friends. Teams require cooperation, joint experience of success and adversity, and that generally leads to friendships. My sister bumped one of the long time favs off the vaulted 11-12 AAU girls fr and med relays, and she paid a bit of a price for that with a few of the catty types, but she made friends outside that group anyway. Sports can provide some level of acceleration in the relo adjustment and continuing to encourage her is a good idea. Glad to see her coaches saw it that way too - it certainly helps that it all doesn't have to come from mom.

My sister stayed in touch with many of her old friends from LI for many years - thru HS, college and even after she got married (our LI swim coaches daughter). I stayed in touch with friends for a little while, but pretty much moved on within about a year or so; nonetheless, feeling homesick from time to time and not adjusting quickly to work at school. That worked itself out too. She'll have a chance to work through the relo before HS, where things count more, even though she doesn't know or see that.

What are you thinking will be the goals for your Pitt Master's team and practices? After swimming in a shallow pool, I appreciate even the crappy deeper pool at the Y now. Keep spinning when you can't get into the water - I think your quads and calves will say thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    I am glad that you were able to enjoy a good swim session in a great facility today, although it was just a temporary quiet moment from your devoted efforts to encourage and comfort your emerging teenager daughter immersed in a difficult swirl of awkward adjustment and discomfort with nearly a 99% different world as she knew it. There is really no simple way out. You will have to be patient and persevere as you have been doing. It will take time, but she will eventually adapt with the support of your family and hopefully new friends.

I agree you will not have any real inner peace to focus on your swimming until your daughter appears to be making progress towards accepting your new life as it is. When we came to FL, both my daughter and son wanted to go back to their previous home and schools in GA for about the first 10 weeks of school, then over time they appreciated that we made the move, (our daughter continues to make occasional comparisons to the past). During our first several months in Florida, my wife and I were anxious and concerned, but we always told our kids they were doing great and will adjust. My daughter eventually made new friends, but that is easier for a younger child. Our son still maintains online friendships with previous elementary school classmates from Princeton-NJ, and previous middle school classmate from Augusta-GA, in addition to his current Fort Myers High School friends.

Question regarding UW and SDK. As I have become better at kicking, I can go faster and farther under water than I could previously. Now in butterfly I have trouble timing the breakout because I am too deep on the first stroke, this will occur from push offs and more so from dives. Any tips?
    Yes, I'm pretty consumed with worry for Lil Fort. She can't seem to fall asleep at night either, partly from staying up in the summer. I'm not going to worry too much about my training right now, just do the best I can. The kids at the school seem very friendly. She is just not in the mood to make new friends right now. She can be shy at first. The online friendships make it simultaneously better (you don't lose your friends) and worse (you can't let of them and make new friends either). Our best friends whose daughter is Lil Fort's best friend are coming up for a visit (and a marathon race) next weekend.

I find breakouts difficult in fly too. I'm usually too shallow on my breakouts and have gotten into the bad habit of lifting my head ever so slightly to see the water. Do you do a tight streamline with hands behind the head? This can make it slightly more difficult to feel the water. You just have to do them in practice and try to feel the water on your shoulders/back/arms. It helps to figure out what the ideal kick count is before breakout and stick to that. Of course, that can change depending on the depth of the dive, which for me never seems to be exactly the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    We moved in '65 from Bay Shore, LI, NY to West Hartford, Ct. when my Dad was transferred; "greasers" were it in Bay Shore at that time, and West Hartford, Ct was all "preppies." I had finished 9th and my younger sister was heading into 6th (I think). Quite a culture shock, plus losing all of our friends and teammates from many years of AG sports and other activities.

For me sports was a saving grace, providing a place for a relatively shy kid to create a name for himself - yes new teammates in soccer, swimming, and track, but lots of opportunities to make new friends. Teams require cooperation, joint experience of success and adversity, and that generally leads to friendships. My sister bumped one of the long time favs off the vaulted 11-12 AAU girls fr and med relays, and she paid a bit of a price for that with a few of the catty types, but she made friends outside that group anyway. Sports can provide some level of acceleration in the relo adjustment and continuing to encourage her is a good idea. Glad to see her coaches saw it that way too - it certainly helps that it all doesn't have to come from mom.

My sister stayed in touch with many of her old friends from LI for many years - thru HS, college and even after she got married (our LI swim coaches daughter). I stayed in touch with friends for a little while, but pretty much moved on within about a year or so; nonetheless, feeling homesick from time to time and not adjusting quickly to work at school. That worked itself out too. She'll have a chance to work through the relo before HS, where things count more, even though she doesn't know or see that.

What are you thinking will be the goals for your Pitt Master's team and practices? After swimming in a shallow pool, I appreciate even the crappy deeper pool at the Y now. Keep spinning when you can't get into the water - I think your quads and calves will say thanks.
    I was faintly terrified of middle school too and moved around that time (though locally, out in the country). I hoped that XC would help, but right now she doesn't want to interact with the kids. She does grudgingly, but doesn't get any joy out of it. I am very glad there are a couple years until high school.

Pitt Masters have traditionally done a distance day, stroke day with longer yardage and speed day (of sorts, not what I'd consider a speed workout). I'll probably work within those parameters. There are lots of triathletes and not that many of them compete.

I may hop on the bike today. It's any easy way to squeeze in a workout at home.