View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

80 x 25 workout

Rate this Entry
by , September 7th, 2013 at 06:41 PM (464 Views)
After a day of complete rest yesterday (not even a short recovery swim) I was itching to get back into the pool. I think I might have suffered a minor cold earlier this week and just not noticed it--resting heart rate was up 2-4 beats, and I noticed some crud in my sinuses--and maybe that was draggin me down a little bit. I needed a good tough workout, some speedwork to get my confidence back.

Scotty and I met at the Kenosha YMCA this afternoon after my son's XC meet (more on that later), and after a quick warm-up we jumped into a workout that always seems to help me blow the cobwebs off: 20 x 25 on :45 for each stroke. Here's what we did:

WU (600):
400 EZ (alternated 100s fr and bk)
2 x 100 IM on 2:00 (these were in 1:39-1:40, so I knew I was feeling better)

MS (2500):
--20 x 25 fly on :45 (these were mostly :21-:22 at the beginning and I did a pretty good job of holding :22-:23 even toward the end; a few months ago these would have been :24-:25)
--100 IM for recovery
--20 x 25 bk on :45 (these were mostly :19-:20, some :21s in there too; my abs were begging for mercy toward the end of this set, b/c I was really working the under waters to stay ahead of Scotty... bk is the only stroke I can consistently take him on!)
--Master's minute
--20 x 25 br on :45 (this is where Scotty just kills me, but I did a better job of staying up today, found a better rhythm in my stroke and actually pulled off a bunch of :23s in the last half)
--Master's minute
--20 x 25 fr on :45 (these were mostly :17, but I saw :15 or :16 a couple of times)
--Master's minute
--400 IM; I swam this in 6:53 (meh) and didn't feel that great, but it was the end of a hard workout. Scotty actually PR'd his swim, which is awesome given the set that we had just done. My splits were 1:39 for fly, 1:45 for bk, 1:59 for br (yuck), and 1:30 for fr (double yuck!). My bk needed to be better, but my br is still holding me back.

CD (500): 100 fr, 100 bk, 100 fr, 100 bk, 100 fr all EZ focusing on long strokes, and body position.

TOTAL: 3600 SCY

I'm going to try some of those ankle stretches in the recent Swimmer magazine, I'm hoping that will help the breast stroke kick... maybe the dolphins. I'm also committing myself to get into a routine with Yoga, which I have only been doing sporadically over the last year. There I wrote it, so now I have to do it.

Anthony (my middle son) ran well today in his cross country meet. I don't know how he feels about the race, he might have even been a little disappointed at running a few seconds slower than last week, but the course was more hilly and it was a lot warmer this week. Plus, I think he took off several minutes from his time at this same meet last year. Here he is coming into the finish today (on the far right):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo09071140.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	7937

And here he is after the race, which started at 11:15, so they really did have the heat to contend with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo09071145.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	7938

Submit "80 x 25 workout" to Digg Submit "80 x 25 workout" to del.icio.us Submit "80 x 25 workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "80 x 25 workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments