View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sunday, Sept 8

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:

600 various
4 x 50 scull w/paddles @ 1:00
50 EZ
3 x (4 x 25 shooter w/fins @ :30-:40 + 50 EZ)
50 EZ

Main Sets:

12 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
100 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP back from the blocks + 25 EZ)
150 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP w/fins, 24 -- ugh!
150 EZ

5 x through:
4 x 25 DPS free w/agility padddles @ :30
1 x 50 kick @ 200 pace
1 x 100 IM, 75 smooth + :10 rest + 25 fast free @ 2:00
1 x 100 EZ @ 2:00

100 EZ

Total: 4000


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm feeling pretty dead, and that after a day off yesterday. I think I went from 0 to 100 mph last week, doing a lot of speed workouts after a couple months of maintenance cruising. I guess I should have eased back into the speed work more gradually. The 100 IMs felt horrible today. I think the temp being 4-5 degrees cooler than I'm used to may affect my lungs slightly too.

The latest Rushall article on USDT: http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullet...0NON-TAPER.pdf. What do you guys think?


Was thinking of using this workout for distance day at Pitt. What do you all think? Is it distancey enough?

MONDAY: Distance

Warm up:

500 choice
4 x 100 kick w/fins, descend to 200 pace @ 1:30
2 x (4 x 25) @ :30
1 = moderate 2 breath
2 = build to fast, 2 breath
3 = moderate 1 breath
4 = fast no breath
50 EZ

Main Sets:

6 x 75's free @ 1:10, descend 1-3 & 4-6
100 kick @ 2:00
1 x 500 broken (5 seconds rest @ each 100, descend each 100)
100 kick @ 2:00
6 x 75's @ 1:15, IM switch
1 x 100 kick @ 2:00
1 x 500 broken =
50 @ 200 pace + R:05, + 4 x 100's smooth/low stroke count + R:05 between each 100 + 50 fast (200 race pace)
1 x 100 kick @ 2:00
6 x 75's choice @ 1:00, descend 1-3 & 4-6
1 x 100 kick @ 2:00
1 x 500 fast w/fins and/or paddles
200 EZ

Total: 4650

Submit "Sunday, Sept 8" to Digg Submit "Sunday, Sept 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, Sept 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, Sept 8" to Google

Updated September 8th, 2013 at 06:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Interesting article. I must be old school, because I just don't know how you can be quick all the time swimming. I get how you can maintain, but I have always been of the mind that big drops in time are based on longer programs that require more traditional methods. Also not sure how this will work with the distance events, where aerobic stress seems key to me.

    The workout looks great. This is the sort of workout we typically do on Fridays where it's a good distance but you change up the sets and throw in some speed, which adds even more challenge to the workout. It's definately not an aerobic distance workout but that's good.
  2. tjrpatt's Avatar
    This workout gets my vote. It is distancy with a quality angle.
  3. jaadams1's Avatar
    I like the workout too. Especially good if you can keep them all going on interval throughout the entire thing.
  4. KEWebb18's Avatar
    Very interesting. How many people actually do all USRPT other than the Andrew kid? I think that you have to go with what works best for you as an individual swimmer, and maybe a traditional taper would be more beneficial for us older folks. I'd be interested to see an older swimmer break records without a taper following USRPT.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Interesting article. I must be old school, because I just don't know how you can be quick all the time swimming. I get how you can maintain, but I have always been of the mind that big drops in time are based on longer programs that require more traditional methods. Also not sure how this will work with the distance events, where aerobic stress seems key to me.

    The workout looks great. This is the sort of workout we typically do on Fridays where it's a good distance but you change up the sets and throw in some speed, which adds even more challenge to the workout. It's definately not an aerobic distance workout but that's good.
    We are probably all old school to an extent. I can't really opine on training for distance events anymore. USDT would actually be more aerobic work than I'm used to!

    Thanks. I do worry that they will be expecting an aerobic distance workout. I can tweek it some more I guess. But if you did the intervals straight through, without any masters minutes, it could be taxing.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    This workout gets my vote. It is distancy with a quality angle.
    Thanks for the input, Tom!
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I like the workout too. Especially good if you can keep them all going on interval throughout the entire thing.
    Excellent. I will try!
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Very interesting. How many people actually do all USRPT other than the Andrew kid? I think that you have to go with what works best for you as an individual swimmer, and maybe a traditional taper would be more beneficial for us older folks. I'd be interested to see an older swimmer break records without a taper following USRPT.
    I definitely wouldn't even consider not doing a taper while training USD. I think it would still wear most masters down enough to warrant/require a taper. I wonder what the scientific basis is for that claim?
  9. sglines's Avatar
    I am a stronger believer of taper....I have ripped alot of time with a good taper!!
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sglines
    I am a stronger believer of taper....I have ripped alot of time with a good taper!!
    Well, especially for masters. Rushall must be referring to USS kids with his no taper claim. I like a lot of rest before big meets too!