View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Short Axis Pulse

Rate this Entry
by , September 8th, 2013 at 05:55 PM (911 Views)
I was cruising through the forums last night and was looking at the butterfly lane for tips and drills, since I hadn't been there for a while and found reference to the Short Axis Pulse (or SAP) drill along with half-fly. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.h2oustonswims.org/article..._papillon.html

This article is on half-fly for increasing endurance, which makes use of SAP and has a link to an article on that drill. So today I decided to incorporate it into the workout. I initially planned to do a lot of drill anyway, because the short sprints always leave me stiff and not feeling like doing anything tough the next day. For the SAP drill I would take about 3-5 pulses, do a breast stroke (arms only) for breath, then go right back into SAP, and repeat as many times as needed to get to the other side of the pool. This really helped me to engage the hips in a way that I hadn't ever before. I think I was generating most of my kick from the thighs (except in BK dolphins, where for some unexplained reason it seems more natural to work the hips and core--I remembered this b/c yesterday my underwaters on the back set really gave me an awesome core burn).

I also lifted weights a little bit this afternoon AFTER the swim, while I was still warm (one of the problems I think I probably had earlier this week was that I jumped right into my lifting without any cardio before hand, so I was working out a cold body... then when I got into the pool afterward, instead of being warmed up I was just tired and stiff, which made for a miserable slog... not very productive... hindsight is 20/20, but how long am I going to be making these rookie mistakes?! I mean, I know better... I my brain just wasn't there... must have been somewhere else at the time!).

I tried adding kipper pull-ups and push-presses from the X-fit repertoire to my normal routine... I still don't like weights. I'm sure as I stick with it and can do more sets and reps of each exercise it will seem like less of a pain and more of an enhancement to my swimming routine.

Here's what I did in the pool beforehand:

400 EZ swim (alternate 100 fr and 100 pull w/ buoy)
4 x 25 SAPs on :45
4 x 25 breast pull w/ buoy on :45
4 x 25 breast kick w/ board on :45
100 1-1-1 fly drill (4-5 SAPs, 1 full stroke fly, 1-arm fly stroke (r), 1-arm fly stroke (l), repeat)
4 x 50 modified fly on 1:15 (4-5 SAPs 2-3 strokes fly, 2-3 SAPS [or 1-arm fly], etc. on first length; reduced the number of SAPs or 1-arm each length, until the final 50 was all full stroke--still feeling relaxed, engaging hips more)
2 x 100 IM on 2:15
200 IM
400 EZ (alternated 100 fr and 100 bk)

TOTAL: 1800 SCY/45 minutes

Submit "Short Axis Pulse" to Digg Submit "Short Axis Pulse" to del.icio.us Submit "Short Axis Pulse" to StumbleUpon Submit "Short Axis Pulse" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments