View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Working on 200 pace with 50s; 400 IM with 25s

Rate this Entry
by , September 12th, 2013 at 08:46 PM (1337 Views)
Yesterday I was pretty sore and stiff form the drylands and 3K workout on Tuesday, so I just got in to try to loosen up a bit. I did a lot of drill, don't think I swam anything continuous for more than 50 yards and was out before the lunchtime crowd even had time to change. 1500 yards.

Today had to be a little more challenging, but until my body adjusts to the new drylands routine, I'm trying to keep the reps short (avoid the form falling apart in anything over 50) and focussed on 200 pace. Here's what I did:

WU (1000):
400 ez swim (fr and back; some catch-up drill) on 8:00
4 x 100 IM on 2:15 (descended 1:42, 1:40, 1:39, 1:38)
4 x 50 fr on 1:00 (:39-:42)*

*I was watching form here, had Scotty watching from underwater... he confirmed the left arm was crossing over and that it did look like the core wasn't nailed down and working in unison from hips to shoulder; so I have to pay extra attention to my head position breathing to the right and the hip/shoulder rotation... in rotating to that side I tend not to rotate my hips enough... this is probably also an issue with my legs/kick and some extra tightness that I've always had in that left leg.

MS (1400):
-16 x 50 on 1:00, 800 IMO (went :45, :48, :50, :51 for fly; :50, :49, :48, :47+ on back --surprised I had enough energy after the fly to descend these; basically :55-:56 on breast; then :45, :39, :40, :41 on fr)
-Master's minute
-200 IM, hard (came in 3:18... not bad considering how I've been feeling of late)
-16 x 25 on :40, 400 IMO (went :20-:22 fly, :20-:22 back, :25s for br, last one in :26, and mostly :17 for fr)*

*this would actually be dream pacing for the 4IM for me, bringing my fly in 1:28, back in 1:28, 1:40 for the breast and 1:08 for the free. We can always dream can't we?

CD (600)
3 x 100 fr on 2:00--mostly catch-up drill
6 x 50 fr on :55

3000 SCY in about 70 minutes?--we lost track of time, because they pulled us out of the pool during warm-up with a tornado sighting... so we spent about 20 minutes trying not to cool off in the "shelter" of the locker-room and sauna.

I did some drylands afterward too:
40-50 supine leg-lifts and flutter kicks
45 seconds in prone plank position
3 x 12 hanging leg-lifts
3 x 12 squats
3 x 12 push-ups
3 x ~5 kipping chin-ups
3 x 12 push-presses
3 x 6 pull-ups
2 x 12 seated rows
2 x 12 lunges w/ dumbbells
sun-salutation sequence x 2 to cool-down + another 5 minutes stretching.

Submit "Working on 200 pace with 50s; 400 IM with 25s" to Digg Submit "Working on 200 pace with 50s; 400 IM with 25s" to del.icio.us Submit "Working on 200 pace with 50s; 400 IM with 25s" to StumbleUpon Submit "Working on 200 pace with 50s; 400 IM with 25s" to Google

Updated September 16th, 2013 at 12:33 PM by mcnair

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Based upon my limited reading of Rushall's work on ultra short race pace training, that main set looks right on target for the kind of pace work he preaches -- and definitely the right thing to do to keep your form strong and connected.
    I agree with pwb, but Rushall specifically notes that his US sets (nx25, nx50, etc) should be of one stroke, NOT mixed strokes. I'm not arguing that there is a problem with the set that you did, but it isn't UST in Rushall's definition. Note, "There should be no mixing of strokes as one might think appropriate for medley training." See: http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/energy39.pdf
    Thanks for the comments, guys, I had read that Rushall piece last spring if I remember right; but I must have missed the bit about not mixing strokes. I have been incorporating more single stroke sets (as in 20 x 25 fly), but still like to work on all 4 strokes in a given workout (so 4 x thru 20x25--one set per stroke), mostly because two of them are still fairly new to me and I feel like I have to work at them constantly... but on the other hand, doing 50s and 100s on anything but back or free now, my form will fall apart too quickly (4 x on short interval seems to be the limit now for fly and br, but I can cycle back around to those strokes if I throw bk and fr into the mix; or recovery swims between sets). Maybe I should be modifying that.

I noticed in going back over the article that Rushall mentions :20 as the appropriate rest for 50s at 200 pace... maybe if I did my 50s fly or br on 1:05-1:10 instead of 1:00, to get that full :20; I could hold something closer to a :45 (or :50 for br) pace with good form, then begin extending the set out a little further each time I do it (5-6 x 50, then 7-8 x 50). What do you guys think of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    I noticed in going back over the article that Rushall mentions :20 as the appropriate rest for 50s at 200 pace... maybe if I did my 50s fly or br on 1:05-1:10 instead of 1:00, to get that full :20; I could hold something closer to a :45 (or :50 for br) pace with good form, then begin extending the set out a little further each time I do it (5-6 x 50, then 7-8 x 50). What do you guys think of that?
    I can't do anything close to 20x50@200 pace on :20RI. Even 4x50@200 pace is pretty darn hard. Forget what Rushall says about avoiding buildup of lactic acid. Any attempt at such a set is a lactic acid bath for me. His 20x25 is exhausting, but does seem to avoid lactic acid buildup. Your idea of building up from 5x50 seems reasonable. Rushall says to skip one when you miss the target, then get back into the set. When you can complete all 20, you need to tighten the interval or lower the target time.
    Here is a set I like:
    Nx{
    4x50@200 pace with interval set to give ~:10 RI (for me an example is 4x50 back/:45)
    something else (maybe 200 AR or 4x25 drill)
    }
    I'm plenty exhausted after N=4 or 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    I can't do anything close to 20x50@200 pace on :20RI. Even 4x50@200 pace is pretty darn hard. Forget what Rushall says about avoiding buildup of lactic acid. Any attempt at such a set is a lactic acid bath for me. His 20x25 is exhausting, but does seem to avoid lactic acid buildup. Your idea of building up from 5x50 seems reasonable. Rushall says to skip one when you miss the target, then get back into the set. When you can complete all 20, you need to tighten the interval or lower the target time.
    Here is a set I like:
    Nx{
    4x50@200 pace with interval set to give ~:10 RI (for me an example is 4x50 back/:45)
    something else (maybe 200 AR or 4x25 drill)
    }
    I'm plenty exhausted after N=4 or 5.
    I hear you. I have been using those 4 x 50 at race pace sets (usually on :10-12 sec rest) for 200 pace and I AM usually spent by rep #4. I'm thinking that if I increase RI to :20 I might be able to complete a longer set... so, for now, 10 x 50 on 1:05 for fly (my goal pace for 200 fly would be :45/50) and then skip a rep when I miss the target... as Rushall prescribes. The other thing I'm going to try is to do the set 3 times over the course of a week... I would normally do a set like this once a week. But Rushall prescribes repeated exposure to race pace in order to produce the overload necessary for physiological adaptation. I'm willing to give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    .... I'm thinking that if I increase RI to :20 I might be able to complete a longer set... so, for now, 10 x 50 on 1:05 for fly (my goal pace for 200 fly would be :45/50) and then skip a rep when I miss the target... as Rushall prescribes. The other thing I'm going to try is to do the set 3 times over the course of a week... I would normally do a set like this once a week. But Rushall prescribes repeated exposure to race pace in order to produce the overload necessary for physiological adaptation. I'm willing to give it a try.
    Over the summer I was doing the 20x25 sets at least twice a week. Some day I'm going to write up about it and post to the "Ultra-Short Rushall" thread, but I've been too busy. It does seem appropriate/reasonable to do them 2-3 x weekly. Like I mentioned though, I found sets of Nx50 to involve too much lactic acid to do regularly. I'll be interested to hear about your experiences. Keep us posted.