View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , September 12th, 2013 at 11:07 PM (717 Views)
LCM@FGCU Aquatic Center
Air temp 84 Water temp 79
Partly cloudy, humidity at 75%

Warm Up
Bands
400 BK as 2(50K,150DPS)
400 RIM as DPS
200 IM kick as 25 fast/25 steady

*Set 1*
1x1000 BK as 10x100, each 100 as 25 Fast/75 DPS
---200 BR K w/snorkel

*Set 2*
5x200 BR on HR rest, 200 as 2(25 Fast/75 DPS) #2&4 w/snorkel
---100 DK/bk

*Set 3*
3x200 FLY on HR rest, 200 as 2(25 Fast/25 DK/bk/50 DPS) :30 rest, right into...
3x200 FLY on HR rest, 200 as 2(75 2RA-2LA-3S/25 Fast) w/snorkel
---100 EZ BK kick/fins

*Set 4*
10x50 FR kick w/fins-snorkel on 1:00, steady desc 1-10 *38-32, 1:00 rest right into...
4x300 FR on HR rest, 300 as 3(25 FAST/75 CU) w/fins-agility paddles-snorkel

Warm Down
200 FR SPL-22/24
200 BK DPS
100 BR DPS
2x50 FR SPL-24

Comments
This week has been mostly IM and stroke base endurance swimming with quality 25s and 50s. Some of the highlights were a 17.6/25 BR, 14.3/25 BK, 12.8/25 Fly, and 12.2 FR all from a wall push. The times were from coach Chuck's watch in a 50 LCM pool, so most likely not that accurate. But I did get a good set of quality 50s in FR yesterday doing 3(4x50 FR, EZ 100 BK) on HR rest at 85%-95% 1-4 doing 33-31-31-30, 32-31-31-30, 32-30-31-29. Finally I was able to see my doctor today for the annual checkup, and all is well, the only problem I have is that I am getting older! I guess it is a good sign to not be taking any prescription medications at age 57. For my birthday yesterday I made my kids some of their favorite menu items for dinner, Beef Chow Fun and Chocolate Cupcakes with vanilla ice cream inside.

Submit "Thursday, September 12, 2013" to Digg Submit "Thursday, September 12, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, September 12, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, September 12, 2013" to Google

Updated September 14th, 2013 at 06:46 PM by fdtotten

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Very good not to be taking any Rxs ... and getting older is not a problem ... it's an opportunity!
    Belated happy birthday.
    I need to know more about these cupcakes!

PS - saw a job opening at FGCU and the first thing I thought was "Oooh, they have a nice pool!" But I'm not going anywhere for at least four more years because I'm tenured and not vested in the retirement system here yet.
    You must eat raw vegetables daily
    1x1000 BK as 10x100, each 100 as 25 Fast/75 DPS
    excellent set.
    5x200 BR on HR rest, 200 as 2(25 Fast/75 DPS) #2&4 w/snorkel
    That would take me a long time.
    3x200 FLY on HR rest, 200 as 2(25 Fast/25 DK/bk/50 DPS) :30 rest, right into...
    3x200 FLY on HR rest, 200 as 2(75 2RA-2LA-3S/25 Fast)
    What were you thinking?! I hope this isn't the key to your good health because if it is, I may be doomed
    10x50 FR kick w/fins-snorkel on 1:00, steady desc 1-10 *38-32, 1:00 rest right into...
    4x300 FR on HR rest, 300 as 3(25 FAST/75 CU)
    sanity returns.
    I count 7000 yds. That's a lot of swimming. Good work and many happy returns of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very good not to be taking any Rxs ... and getting older is not a problem ... it's an opportunity!
    Thanks! and yes, you are right - I really should have that kind of mindset.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Belated happy birthday.
    Thank you so much Stewart! My birthday has become a time to celebrate our family life and make that day a special day for each one of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I need to know more about these cupcakes!

PS - saw a job opening at FGCU and the first thing I thought was "Oooh, they have a nice pool!" But I'm not going anywhere for at least four more years because I'm tenured and not vested in the retirement system here yet.
    At first I thought making ice cream cupcakes would be hard to do, but when I saw this Ice Cream Cupcakes DIY, I just made our regular chocolate cupcakes, then used a spoon inside of the "special tool" to scoop out inside cupcake and insert vanilla icecream. The topping was a raspberry fruit spread I made.

An active and articulate Masters swimmer such as yourself would certainly be welcome here! The good news is that FGCU is preparing to setup a USMS coached based adult fitness swimming and team training program at the Aquatic Center. So I am hoping to become a member of that program and my wishful thinking is that it grows quickly so that eventually we can host a USMS meet at FGCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    You must eat raw vegetables daily
    Yes, some raw vegetables for juicing and shakes. Mostly basic items such as seasonal fruits, frozen & preserved fruit, vegetables of all color, some meat & poultry, more fish & tofu, mix of various rices, some wholegrain breads, cereals, lots of water, nonfat milk, green tea, ginseng & ginger teas, etc. My wife and I cook all meals from scratch, but we do about 50%-75% meal prep on weekends for our weekly menu plan where my cooking rotation is Mon-Fri and she/or we do weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    ...What were you thinking?! ...I count 7000 yds. That's a lot of swimming. Good work and many happy returns of the day.
    Thank you Karl_S for your feedback and comments! I always read all your posts in these forums with great interest.

While I am working on sustainable speed and efficiency in the pool, I enjoy OW swimming and plan to swim another 3K in Sarasota this October, so I try to do 6-7K about once or twice a week.

In LCM swimming BR I find it is actually easier to do longer swims not having to do as many turns and be underwater so much. With swimming LCM butterfly, other than the fast 25s, the rest of the swimming is long efficient strokes, but getting enough air can be a challenge, and it did take me several months to build up to do 200 LCM of any kind of Fly swimming.

Swimming some freestyle daily with fins or/and paddles doing precise drills or doing controlled fast quality swims has been one the most contributing factors towards attaining specific strength, power, technique efficiency. I focus most on swimming efficiency, and when there is more effort/speed, the more I strive to be efficient.

For now I am attempting to balance the workout with some timed interval training with technical sets, perceived effort build swims or negative split swims. When the FGCU LCM pool goes 2xSCY next week on 9/19, most likely I will reconfigure my training in some ways as the increase in the number of turns make me a stronger swimmer in SCY than I am in LCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    At first I thought making ice cream cupcakes would be hard to do, but when I saw this Ice Cream Cupcakes DIY, I just made our regular chocolate cupcakes, then used a spoon inside of the "special tool" to scoop out inside cupcake and insert vanilla icecream. The topping was a raspberry fruit spread I made.

An active and articulate Masters swimmer such as yourself would certainly be welcome here! The good news is that FGCU is preparing to setup a USMS coached based adult fitness swimming and team training program at the Aquatic Center. So I am hoping to become a member of that program and my wishful thinking is that it grows quickly so that eventually we can host a USMS meet at FGCU.
    You should have a meet that coordinates with the start of Red Sox and Twins spring training games and possibly also an FGCU basketball game. I would travel for that.