View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sept 12-14

Rate this Entry
by , September 14th, 2013 at 07:30 PM (340 Views)
Thursday:

Spent the day getting our border collie puppy! She's snuggly and adorable. And she even slept from 12-8 last night, was up once the night before. She seems to prefer the kitchen floor to her doggy bed in the pen.

Friday:

RC/scap, 15 min
core, 15 min
spin, 30 min

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt after masters practice

600 various4 x 50 scull w/agility paddles
8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
50 EZ
3 x
5 x 50, descend to 200 pace + 50 EZ
at this point, I knew I felt awful (tired and stressed) so reverted to recovery
5 x
50 scull + :10 + 100 DPS free w/paddles
100 EZ

Total: 2800

Saturday:

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:
600 various
4 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:10
8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
100 EZ

Main sets:

Did a modified Tall Paul workout:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
100 EZ

4 x (25 free @ 100 pace + :5 rest + 75 DPS free
100 EZ

4 x 50 stroke, descend to 200 pace @ 1:10
1 x 50 EZ
100 kick fast, no fins (awful)
150 EZ

4 x 50 stroke, descend to 200 pace @ 1:10
1 x 50 EZ
100 kick fast, no fins (awful again)
150 EZ

4 x 50 free, 1-3 DPS, 4 = 100 pace @ 1:00
1 x 50 EZ
50 backstroke kick fast from push, 32
100 EZ

4 x 50 free, 1-3 DPS, 4 = 100 pace @ 1:00
1 x 50 EZ
50 backstroke kick fast from a push (32)
50 EZ

Total: 3650

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a busy few days. Lil Fort is cheerier at the moment because of her new puppy and her best friend visiting for the weekend. Mr. Fort (and best friend's dad) are in Erie for the Erie marathon, hoping to get their BQs. Mr. Fort was going along well for awhile, but his hamstring has been bothering him again. He may give up marathoning if this one is a bust. He keeps insisting that swimming is so injury free. He has no clue.

Submit "Sept 12-14" to Digg Submit "Sept 12-14" to del.icio.us Submit "Sept 12-14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sept 12-14" to Google

Comments

I think it is more compared with running or cycling, swimming is fairly injury-free. Yea if you do enough of it you can have shoulder problems, possibly other things. And when you factor in other swimmers, you can have head-butts (like mine a few weeks ago). You generally don't hear of swimmers getting a sprained ankle or having a fall that sidetracks them from a race--in the water at least

That's great that your puppy is settling in. Did you name it yet? How old is it?
    We had a collie mix growing up, and she was really great. She lived close to 20 years, and most of that living outside, even in the cold NE PA winters. I walked her quite a bit and even ran with her a few times.

If you want a crate that doesn't have to go in the middle of the room, we found this end table/crate thing:

It took Holly a few weeks to warm up to it (it had a strong wood smell when we first got it, and I don't think she liked that). Many times during the day she'll nap in that, or sometimes one (or 2) of the cats will. But she always sleeps in the bedroom at night (we have a routine, let her out to pee, then she comes in).
    We still have the old crate, but it just took up so much space in the middle of the living room.
    The puppy is doing very well so far -- no accidents! She is almost 9 weeks old now, so very small. Border collies are very smart, a big plus when it comes to training. That is a nice crate! We have her (Quinn, Lil Fort picked the name) in her crate for some naps and whenever we're not in the house.

I know what you mean about running. But I seem to know a lot of swimmers with shoulder issues.