View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 51 - Thursday

Rate this Entry
I had a good nights sleep and felt good when I arrived at the pool this morning. The workout was a mix of short and long today with th elong being on quite fast short rest type send offs.

Warm up
16x50 free with snorkel on 50

Main set
4x400 on 4.30
16x75 swum as 25 kick with snorkel, 25 catchup drill, 25 swim on 1.10
2x300 on 3.15

Warm down
100 double arm back

Total 4300scy

I descended the 400s going 4.20, 4.17, 4.14, 4.10. I swam the first 4 of the 75s as active recovery and then got into a nice rhythm on the last 12 and felt strong. The 300s was a serious mental effort, but went 3.05, 3.00. I was really tired after this workout and could of done with a longer warm down but ran out of time.

I am swimming the corporate challenge on Sunday so will likely miss weights on Saturday but will probably lift tonight. It's my daughters birthday today so we had birthday cake for breakfast. She has a private coaching class tonight so we decided to do presents last night and then birthday cake for breakfast this morning. What ten year old does not like cake for breakfast! We will go out for dinner after her class so it will be a rush tonight.

Submit "Week 51 - Thursday" to Digg Submit "Week 51 - Thursday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 51 - Thursday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 51 - Thursday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. ekw's Avatar
    Happy birthday to your daughter! I love cake/pie for breakfast. The day after Thanksgiving may be my favorite breakfast all year, though sometimes I have to stash some leftovers out of sight of other family members depending on which branch of the family I'm with. My brother and my cousin can eat, and I say this as someone who is no slouch at eating!
  2. pwb's Avatar
    Stewart, I didn't mention this in my blog, but I saw your workout as I was waiting for the pool to open this morning. I was fully prepared to at least get through the 4 x 400 set of your workout today, but, alas, there was not a functional pace clock. In retrospect, I'm kind of glad as I think your very fast workout times would've put me to shame. You are really cranking.

    What's the corporate challenge and what will you be swimming? Is that a team triathlon type affair? Good luck. Can't wait to hear about it.
  3. Water Rat's Avatar
    Damn, those 400s are smokin! especially with little rest and 4 of them, no less. I'd like to draft off you sometime
  4. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Happy birthday to your daughter! I love cake/pie for breakfast. The day after Thanksgiving may be my favorite breakfast all year, though sometimes I have to stash some leftovers out of sight of other family members depending on which branch of the family I'm with. My brother and my cousin can eat, and I say this as someone who is no slouch at eating!
    Thanks. She had a great time. My wife went out while I was swimming and also bought Chick-fil-a. So she had chicken nuggets and birthday cake for breakfast. She also has a tiara she was given when she did ballet that she wore for her feast. It was very cute. We have round two tonight after her coaching(she is working on turns).
  5. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Stewart, I didn't mention this in my blog, but I saw your workout as I was waiting for the pool to open this morning. I was fully prepared to at least get through the 4 x 400 set of your workout today, but, alas, there was not a functional pace clock. In retrospect, I'm kind of glad as I think your very fast workout times would've put me to shame. You are really cranking.

    What's the corporate challenge and what will you be swimming? Is that a team triathlon type affair? Good luck. Can't wait to hear about it.
    yeah the workout was really tough. I think the hardest part honestly was the gap between the 400s and the 300s because I was really beat and all I could think about was the 300s and how hard they were going to be. That said like most things they were worse in my head than reality(but they were still pretty bad in reality). I survived to fight another day though!

    The corporate challenge is loosely a series of sporting events that a number of companies in our fair city compete in to raise money for special Olympics. It's a great cause and a ton of fun. Swimming is obviously a real sport but I struggle with billiards and fishing. The swimming event is 50free, 50 back and mixed relay. They take the highest places in each age group male and female and best relay times irrespective of age and rank companies on this. My company has a great relay with 4 former college swimmers. My challenge will be getting going over a 50, but it will be fun. This was the event this time last year that got me back in the pool.
  6. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Damn, those 400s are smokin! especially with little rest and 4 of them, no less. I'd like to draft off you sometime
    Thanks. Perhaps if you were to listen to your inner mid d calling I could drag off you? Anytime you come through Dallas your welcome to swim with us and drag off me. I don't get to Pittsburgh very often but if I do I will return the favor.

    I genuinely think you can go up one distance and be very competitive. It won't even require any additional yardage you would just have to pace your swim. A discussion for another day I guess.
  7. Calvin S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Thanks. Perhaps if you were to listen to your inner mid d calling I could drag off you? Anytime you come through Dallas your welcome to swim with us and drag off me. I don't get to Pittsburgh very often but if I do I will return the favor.

    I genuinely think you can go up one distance and be very competitive. It won't even require any additional yardage you would just have to pace your swim. A discussion for another day I guess.
    Nice times there Stewart! I am fully expecting a sub 5:00 500 in the near future!
  8. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Nice times there Stewart! I am fully expecting a sub 5:00 500 in the near future!
    Calvin, you're letting Stewart off easy by only expecting sub 5. I'm expecting sub 4:50
  9. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    The corporate challenge is loosely a series of sporting events that a number of companies in our fair city compete in to raise money for special Olympics. It's a great cause and a ton of fun. Swimming is obviously a real sport but I struggle with billiards and fishing. The swimming event is 50free, 50 back and mixed relay. They take the highest places in each age group male and female and best relay times irrespective of age and rank companies on this. My company has a great relay with 4 former college swimmers. My challenge will be getting going over a 50, but it will be fun. This was the event this time last year that got me back in the pool.
    That sounds very cool and fun. Do you know if it's a Dallas only thing or is there an umbrella organization that puts these events on in other cities? I'd be interested in a link. My company's HQ'd in NJ and, while I'm the only swimmer, we've got some other athletes (and a world-class harmonium player, though I doubt the arts fit into it in any way).
  10. ekw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That sounds very cool and fun. Do you know if it's a Dallas only thing or is there an umbrella organization that puts these events on in other cities? I'd be interested in a link. My company's HQ'd in NJ and, while I'm the only swimmer, we've got some other athletes (and a world-class harmonium player, though I doubt the arts fit into it in any way).
    Agreed, this sounds very cool. We have a running corporate challenge here but that's it, as far as I know.
  11. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Nice times there Stewart! I am fully expecting a sub 5:00 500 in the near future!
    Thanks Calvin. I hope I can do just that. It was my only really disappointing swim at Spring Nationals. Despite that it's still my favorite distance.

    Have you been watching any of the English Premier League games? Arsenal are doing great right now and the Ozil signing is going to make us very strong.
  12. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Calvin, you're letting Stewart off easy by only expecting sub 5. I'm expecting sub 4:50
    Now that would be exciting.

    I think I have a long way to go!
  13. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That sounds very cool and fun. Do you know if it's a Dallas only thing or is there an umbrella organization that puts these events on in other cities? I'd be interested in a link. My company's HQ'd in NJ and, while I'm the only swimmer, we've got some other athletes (and a world-class harmonium player, though I doubt the arts fit into it in any way).
    No harmonium event this year!

    I am not sure if there are other city corporate challenges. Here is the link to the City of Richardson Corporate Challenge website:

    http://www.cor.net/cc/

    The event is great fun and generates daily conversation at work.
  14. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Agreed, this sounds very cool. We have a running corporate challenge here but that's it, as far as I know.
    Its really good fun too. Our first year it was tough getting people to participate but each year the numbers have gone up and participation is fairly high. We should have about 12 people swimming with a good mix of ages and genders.
  15. Calvin S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Thanks Calvin. I hope I can do just that. It was my only really disappointing swim at Spring Nationals. Despite that it's still my favorite distance.

    Have you been watching any of the English Premier League games? Arsenal are doing great right now and the Ozil signing is going to make us very strong.
    Happy arsen wenger climbed off that pile of cash and spent some! Happy for Özil, being German and a long time Die Mannschaft supporter, anything that keeps the national team players playing at top level is good in my book!