View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 51 - Friday

Rate this Entry
We had power cuts throughout the night and a pretty big storm with heavy rain all night. My wife saw on her phone that power was out throughout our town so I decided to wait for the power to come back on before heading to the pool. The drive took 15 mins longer than usual and when I arrived the pool was already full except my lane which people had left open for me. Today's workout was long and a little boring but I was tired by the end.
Warmup
400 free with snorkel

Main set
80x50 swum as 2x(10x50 free on 35, 10x50 kick on 45, 10x50 drill on 50, 10x50 back on 40)

I ran out of time after doing 68 of the 80.

total 3800scy

Submit "Week 51 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 51 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 51 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 51 - Friday" to Google

Updated September 20th, 2013 at 08:50 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Even I think that's a boring workout and I like mega sets. But it is equally as challenging as it is boring. the kicks on :45 especially. I'd be going to my frog kick for sure.
    I've never understood coaches who put drills on intervals. When I drill, I really slow down to focus on the drill. Adding an interval seems to defeat the purpose.

I could possibly see doing 40 x 50 like above, but maybe replacing the drills with fly-breast 50s. Above that and I'd need to ask for a lap counter
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Even I think that's a boring workout and I like mega sets. But it is equally as challenging as it is boring. the kicks on :45 especially. I'd be going to my frog kick for sure.
    This one in particular was very atypical. This is the first time I have done a set like this with this coach. In college we had a distance coach who would come to morning practice with a newspaper, a can of doctor pepper and an apple and give us sets like 7x1000 on 11. followed byinstructions like,"GO". He would proceed to eat, drink and read until we were done. Those were really boring. This was just lots of annoying short stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I've never understood coaches who put drills on intervals. When I drill, I really slow down to focus on the drill. Adding an interval seems to defeat the purpose.
    i would tend to agree, however he is juggling about 5 different skill levels across 20+ lanes and I suspect his real reason is that he knows when to come back to each group. We have some swimmers that if you gave them no time they would not do anything. they need a time just to get them to do something. A few of us don't have a motivation problem and as such he probably could just say 10 seconds rest.
    I like this workout except I would modify 80 to 8. I'd do 2 rounds of 4 x 50's of each stroke from the block, and look around/loosen up in between.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I like this workout except I would modify 80 to 8. I'd do 2 rounds of 4 x 50's of each stroke from the block, and look around/loosen up in between.