View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 51 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
I felt good today, but once again it was a tough workout, both speed and endurance; we have another 2x 3 week cycles of endurance work so this is going to be the norm for a while.

Warm up
8x100 free on 1.20 with snorkel
10x50 free on 40

Main set
8x100 kick on 2mins best average
100 easy
5x250 pull on 2.45
10x50 on 50 swum 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 swim, 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 swim

Warm down
100 easy

Total 4050scy

I went 1.15 on the first 100 kick, then 1.19 and at this point I knew this set was going to suck. I managed to do 1.21s on the next 4. On number 7 I tweaked my neck on the first turn and eased off. On the last one I wore my snorkel and dropped the kick board and went 1.21. Overall I was pleased with my times holding mainly 1.21s, but this really hurt. I continue to work on leg strength and this really needs to improve if I am going to achieve my goals. The 250s were tough and despite being pull I had a lot lactic acid pumping through my system so these just continued to hurt. I was getting about 10seconds rest but felt pretty bad as this set went on.

I met with my coach yesterday and we worked on a meet schedule upto my next shave meet, which we decided would be the great west classic at our pool on 17th Jan. I have never done a taper over Christmas before but with the goal of hitting top form for worlds this seemed to make a lot of sense. I will try to do a camp style week(2 swims and 1 dry land per day) in November to ramp up my base before we start to focus on quality. I will be swimming 3 USAS meets this fall before the taper meet. We also discussed ramping back up after the meet in January. I won't be doing Spring Nationals instead focusing on Worlds in August and trying to get back into long course as early as possible. I will definately be doing 800,400 and 200 at worlds but have not decided on the shorter free events or the back. I suspect I will do the frees but will compete this fall and spring in some back events to see how that goes. I am really enjoying setting some goals and approaching the next year. I want to enjoy the journey which has been the biggest change in my swimming experience this go around.

Submit "Week 51 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 51 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 51 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 51 - Saturday" to Google

Updated September 21st, 2013 at 11:43 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. Water Rat's Avatar
    wow another awesome workout. i really like your focus on training and competing. I need to do more of a plan like that. I have a couple amorphous long term goals like a Spring taper meet, probably Nats or NE Zones and the either Worlds or LC Nats. I have the Rowdy Gaines meet coming up that I'm shaving for but I just don't think I'm where I should be headed into a taper.

    Do you swim with other people as fast as you in practice?
  2. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    wow another awesome workout. i really like your focus on training and competing. I need to do more of a plan like that. I have a couple amorphous long term goals like a Spring taper meet, probably Nats or NE Zones and the either Worlds or LC Nats. I have the Rowdy Gaines meet coming up that I'm shaving for but I just don't think I'm where I should be headed into a taper.

    Do you swim with other people as fast as you in practice?
    Before I got back in the pool last year I fought the idea of having personal goals(outside of retirement planning). I think it was all those years of goal setting as a kid and my work is very goal oriented, so I just wanted a part of my life where I sort of floated. I thought I was enjoying this, but then I got back in the pool and set some goals(out of necessity related to my weight and general health) and to my surprise I really started to enjoy the structure associated with my life again. After Spring Nationals we went into a base building period where I had no real goals and this summer I had some really blue days/weeks. I still had my long term goals for worlds next year, but struggled with short term focus. I talked to my coach who has been very helpful and he has worked with me on goal setting and relating my training to my goals. I feel very motivated right now and I am having fun. I still have tough days and sometimes wake up still tired and hurting from the prior days workout, but having a focus and a target has been very helpful.

    Like most masters programs we have a diverse group of ages, and abilities. We have the luxury of a fantastic facility that when setup for short course has about 22 lanes. We typically have 1 or 2 people per lane. We also have groups of lanes who tend to train together. There are about 6 of us who typically train together on similar sets but I tend to do more reps on faster times than the others. I will say though that despite us being on different reps and times we are all very supportive of each other and their are a fair number of high fives, whistles and good job calls when the sets get tough. We have about 8 people who have qualified for worlds but I suspect we will have 4-6 of us there.
  3. jaadams1's Avatar
    That's just a great workout!

    Your warmup is something I would do for my main set now. <--That almost sounds like a quote I've seen on a swimming shirt before, except the reverse: "Our warmup is your main set".
  4. pwb's Avatar
    Stewart,

    I, too, like your short, medium and long-term planning. More than that, you seem to do a better job and are more consistent in sticking to the plan. It certainly helps having a great & supportive coach. I used to have an awesome coach at a pool that was a mile from my house and she & I would strategize on training, competition plans, etc. It was great. I have access to a great coach now in Paul Smith, but rarely get to swim with him because I just can't squeeze in the extra 45 minutes in my day to drive to & from.

    I hope my summer works out next year to get to Worlds; it'd be great to meet and see you rock the pool. I've got a hotel booked and would try to swim a couple of days, but the summer's going to be crazy as I'll be sending my oldest daughter off to college next fall and then working with my next daughter to plan her college for fall of 2015. My 'ace in the hole' is that #2 daughter is considering McGill, so I'm going to try to work a college tour for her around Worlds

    Is the great west classic a USAS meet?
  5. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    That's just a great workout!

    Your warmup is something I would do for my main set now. <--That almost sounds like a quote I've seen on a swimming shirt before, except the reverse: "Our warmup is your main set".
    My coach generally(yesterday aside) comes up with some tough workouts. We tend to do a standard warmup most days, which I actually like. Saturday's he always seems to mix it up which is fun too.

    Talking of great swimming shirt slogans, my junior year our distance coach always used to say "rest is overrated" and we had that on shirts. On the 250s today it reminded me of this.
  6. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I hope my summer works out next year to get to Worlds; it'd be great to meet and see you rock the pool. I've got a hotel booked and would try to swim a couple of days, but the summer's going to be crazy as I'll be sending my oldest daughter off to college next fall and then working with my next daughter to plan her college for fall of 2015. My 'ace in the hole' is that #2 daughter is considering McGill, so I'm going to try to work a college tour for her around Worlds

    Is the great west classic a USAS meet?
    That would be great to meet. It would be awesome if we had an opportunity to race sometime too.

    Its our 20th wedding anniversary next year and we plan on bringing the kids with us to Montral. We will also have some family coming from England to watch and cheer. Our plan is to do worlds and then go up to,Quebec City for a week vacation. I wanted to swim Summer Nationals also but I can't make it all work either.

    You are a little further along with your kids than me, and on one hand I am dreading the kids growing up but on the other really enjoying the journey with them. I suspect getting them ready for college is pretty stressful, but probably fun also. How did your wife handle it when your eldest went to college?

    The great west classic is a USAS meet hosted by our team, RACE. It will be a quick meet and is a heats and finals meet.
  7. Calvin S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    That would be great to meet. It would be awesome if we had an opportunity to race sometime too.

    Its our 20th wedding anniversary next year and we plan on bringing the kids with us to Montral. We will also have some family coming from England to watch and cheer. Our plan is to do worlds and then go up to,Quebec City for a week vacation. I wanted to swim Summer Nationals also but I can't make it all work either.

    You are a little further along with your kids than me, and on one hand I am dreading the kids growing up but on the other really enjoying the journey with them. I suspect getting them ready for college is pretty stressful, but probably fun also. How did your wife handle it when your eldest went to college?

    The great west classic is a USAS meet hosted by our team, RACE. It will be a quick meet and is a heats and finals meet.
    Went to Quebec City on my honeymoon. Gorgeous city, very cool (was also in Montreal for a few days). Not sure about worlds yet, although, Stewart, our club team did discuss traveling to Dallas for a club meet in early December.
  8. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Went to Quebec City on my honeymoon. Gorgeous city, very cool (was also in Montreal for a few days). Not sure about worlds yet, although, Stewart, our club team did discuss traveling to Dallas for a club meet in early December.
    My wife went as a kid to Quebec City and said it was awesome. It should be a lot of fun.

    I wonder if the meet is the COR Classic. If so I will be swimming it also. Let me know as it gets closer and if it's not the COR meet I may be either swimming or watching my daughter. Either way it will be great to meet in person.
  9. Sojerz's Avatar
    Went to Quebec City on my honeymoon
    We honeymooned in Quebec too and really enjoyed it - a few days in the city and a few outside at a Mt. resort. That was '74, so a lot has probably changed. We were in Montreal for the '76 Olympics and had a great time there too (although it was impossible to get into the swimming venue. They seemed very different cities, Quebec with it's old world charm and Montreal with the night life.
  10. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    We honeymooned in Quebec too and really enjoyed it - a few days in the city and a few outside at a Mt. resort. That was '74, so a lot has probably changed. We were in Montreal for the '76 Olympics and had a great time there too (although it was impossible to get into the swimming venue. They seemed very different cities, Quebec with it's old world charm and Montreal with the night life.
    I am really looking forward to the trip. I have heard great things about the region and I am looking forward to both the meet and doing some exploring of the region.

    I also read somewhere on the forums that they maybe erecting some temporary pools on site to accommodate the numbers of expected swimmers. That was one of my concerns altering reading about the last worlds in Riccion. I am not a night owl anymore and swimming at midnight would be a major challenge for me.
  11. chowmi's Avatar
    Hi SAC! Do you mean Greater Southwest? And you know now that it's at Rockwall? That would be awesome. I love your pool! Bummer there isn't an Oct USA meet this year. And the A meet in Nov and COR classic are at Loos. I can't take our local USMS DAMM SCM meet seriously. Maybe because I work out there and it's familiar. It's bad when I know where all my own hairballs are on deck. I really hope your team hosts more masters meets!!!!
  12. Calvin S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    My wife went as a kid to Quebec City and said it was awesome. It should be a lot of fun.

    I wonder if the meet is the COR Classic. If so I will be swimming it also. Let me know as it gets closer and if it's not the COR meet I may be either swimming or watching my daughter. Either way it will be great to meet in person.
    I think it IS the COR classic, but I probably will not go, as I plan to travel to Oklahoma City for the Elite Pro-Am December 19-22.
  13. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Hi SAC! Do you mean Greater Southwest? And you know now that it's at Rockwall? That would be awesome. I love your pool! Bummer there isn't an Oct USA meet this year. And the A meet in Nov and COR classic are at Loos. I can't take our local USMS DAMM SCM meet seriously. Maybe because I work out there and it's familiar. It's bad when I know where all my own hairballs are on deck. I really hope your team hosts more masters meets!!!!
    Yes you are right its the Greater Southwest Open. On our calendar we have the COR classic being swum at our pool this year for sme reason

    http://www.teamunify.com/EventShow.j...8889&team=ntrs

    My daughter is swimming The ATAC meet the same weekend as the SCM meet in Shenandoah so I won't be doing that meet but will be signing up for the DAMM meet at Baylor. From prior years it does not look like its very well attended but it will likely be my on SCM meet this year.

    we just got a couple new swimmers join us and we are getting more swimmers who want to compete so I hope we get some more meets too.
  14. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    I think it IS the COR classic, but I probably will not go, as I plan to travel to Oklahoma City for the Elite Pro-Am December 19-22.
    Our paths will cross one of these days.
  15. Calvin S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Our paths will cross one of these days.
    and one of us will rue the day...I mean, I can't wait :P
  16. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    and one of us will rue the day...I mean, I can't wait :P
    I know what you mean and agree it will be fun.