View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

200s Time Trial

Rate this Entry
by , September 22nd, 2013 at 03:08 PM (423 Views)
After a hard week and a couple of recovery days, Scotty and I figured it was a good time to time-trial some 200s to get a benchmark. Friday I was still pretty stiff from the Thursday set of 50s and the strength training in the weightroom so I only did 2000 in drills. Saturday I went in to get another recovery workout in... didn't want to swim too hard, so I could save it for today's time trials, but I did want to get in a little bit of up-tempo work. Here's what I did:

400 EZ swim
4 x 100 IM
4 x 50 fr fr
8 x 50 on 1:00 in 4IMO (:45, :48, :50, :50, :53, :53, :46, :44)
200 recovery
8 x 50 on 1:00 in 4IMO (:46, :48, :47, :47, :53, :54, :45, :43)
200 recovery

I wasn't too disappointed with this effort, wasn't pushing 100%...felt more like I was at 85%. The 400 IMs were both under 6:30 when you add up the times... so it was good pace work for me; a bit of a confidence builder going in to today. After two days without doing any weights, I hoped to be recharged enough to put in some good times. Here's what I did today:

400 EZ swim (alternated 100s, fr and pull)
4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (not blazing at all swam thee in mid 1:40s; last one in 1:39-40)
4 x 50 fr on 1:00 (:37-:43)
Master's minute

200 FLY (off the blocks, 3:22)
200 recovery
200 BACK (off the blocks, 3:08)
200 recovery
200 IM (off the blocks, 3:13)
200 recovery

200 pull
4 x 100 IM on 2:00
200 pull

I was a little disappointed in the 200 fly (I swam 3:21 from push at the beginning of August), but given that this was done without any sort of taper and after some hard drylands over the last few weeks, I'm not entirely displeased. I tried to relax as much as possible, I felt a little slow, but at least now I know what my target pace in practice should be now.

I was much happier with the 200 bk... I started losing steam in the last couple of lengths, but my average pace of :47 was right where I thought it would be... hoped it would be, honestly. I can work to improve that over the next few weeks too.

For the final time trial I did 200 IM while Scotty did 200 breast. His breast was on fire today and I couldn't keep up. Still, I matched my 200 IM personal best from last spring.

Now that I have a benchmark, we'll see if I can keep up the pace work in practice and retest again in about three weeks.

Got into the weight room afterward, but only had twenty minutes, so I did one set of everything instead of three... probably needed a "step-down" session anyway.

Submit "200s Time Trial" to Digg Submit "200s Time Trial" to del.icio.us Submit "200s Time Trial" to StumbleUpon Submit "200s Time Trial" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congratulations for marked progress in 200 bk. Were you working the UW's or just maintaining momentum from turns to breakouts?
    You've made a lot of advancement in your swimming over the past year. I remember reading about your freestyle only long drawn out swims (non-stop 2 hours, etc.), and now look at what you're doing: 200 Flys and more off the blocks?!!? IM workouts!!! Congrats.
    Thanks guys! It really is gratifying to see the improvements and to be proficient in all four strokes (though some might debate whether what I call breast stroke is actually proficient). I really am starting to work the underwaters more off the back turns.... something I didn't used to be able to do that well after the start and maybe the first turn. I edged out Scotty in his 200 back by maybe a few inches and he said the difference was definitely in my back dolphins... though it was hard to stay under coming out of those last couple of turns, and I certainly wasn't getting as much distance off the dolphins at that point.