View RSS Feed

After a long rest

2013 Corporate Challenge

Rate this Entry
This was the event last year that got me back in the pool. We had a low team turnout with only six of the twelve swimmers who signed up actually showing up. Despite that we had a great time and swam well as a team. The event is part of the City of Richardson Corporate Challenge in which companies in the Dallas/Fort Worth area compete in a variety of events over a three month period with money being raised for the special Olympics. It's a great event and an even greater cause.

The swimming is 50scy free, 50scy back and a mixed 200 free relay. The event is separated into men and women swum ages 29 and under and then in 10 year age groups. They award 1-3 in each age group and then rank individuals independent of age by company division based on time, where companies are grouped by size and number of employees.

Thee electronic timing did not work today so I don't have official times but the timers gave me 22.7 on the 50 free and 27.x on the 50 back. I was very pleased with the free because I had a slow start a poor break out of my turn and did not really get going. I really think when shaved, tapered and focused I have a 21.x In me. I was 22.6 at Spring Nationals. Since I never swam this in college this one is fun because it's an opportunity at a life time best. The 50 back was pretty poor. My start felt good, but I misjudged my breakout and took my first stroke under water. Then on the turn i was too close to the wall and did not get a push off. Despite both of these I was pleased with the time and will be swimming more back in the future. I have a lot of room for improvement on these short races.

We had a great relay and ended up lapping all bar one team and won our division by 13 seconds.

The event was a lot of fun and it's nice to swim some short races every now and again. Back to base training this week!

Submit "2013 Corporate Challenge" to Digg Submit "2013 Corporate Challenge" to del.icio.us Submit "2013 Corporate Challenge" to StumbleUpon Submit "2013 Corporate Challenge" to Google

Updated September 22nd, 2013 at 07:52 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Wow! 22 high on a 50 free in the midst of the heavy, longer-distance oriented work you've been doing is great. I, too, loved trying events in Masters that I never really swam in college like the 50 (well, to be honest, pretty much every event except the 500, 1000, 1650, 200 fly and 400 IM). It's cool doing a lifetime best as an 'old guy.'
    Thanks Patrick. One of my team mates refuses to swim an 800 unless I swim a 100fly, so whether I like it or not I will be trying some events I have not swum for a LONG time. I swam so few fly races I don't even recall my time!