View RSS Feed

Blog

9|23|13 piecemeal buildup to lower back shutdown

Rate this Entry
by , September 23rd, 2013 at 04:28 PM (360 Views)
I did squats about 2 weeks ago. Felt tolerable after, but the following day during fast swims from the block I had a sharp jolt of high current lumbar pain as my feet pushed off. I cautiously continued on for the week hoping it would heal, and in fact it was on my way, then I decided to run continuously for 30 minutes. This was 84 hours ago and at times I've been in some pain. Sometimes I'm OK, other times I'm incapable of walking upright or barely at all, but I believe the worst is over.

I had today off, which is good since I've only had 2 other days off this month. I couldn't let this beautiful day go to waste on my back and had to get out. Since I was doing a little better after an hour of soaking in hot Mg salts, 1g ibuprofen, 2 hours on my belly with a gallon bag of ice on top I decided to go to the gym. The water was too cold to loosen up and swim and the lower back would probably go into spasm as it did last week. So I therefore decided to take the dryland (lower back friendly workout) route.

I did 9 sets of the following block of exercises in circuit style, without rest between:

1. Pullups (bodyweight) 8 reps
  2. Dips (bodyweight) 10 reps
  3. Leg extensions (flutter extensions) (increasing weight per set) 20 - 10 reps
  4. Seated calf raises 7 reps

Though I did not take time to rest between exercises, my HR did not climb, for the extra time it took me to move from station to station was more than enough to recover being miserable and slow. I managed the workout fine and feel better both spiritually and physically, accomplishing a rather awesome workout. I also discovered when I'm in pain my tolerance to the workout experienced pain increases.

Off to DC tomorrow for my wife's abctec Teacher of the Year award reception. She is scheduled to meet with some senators and other important people in the board of education. I will be going with her for the events, primarily for the food, however I'm starting to get the butterflies like I do before a meet lol. I just hope my back will be improved by then. That reminds me, I need to buy some shoes. About shoes, last week when I dropped my jacket and pants off to get tailored and cleaned, I find a moth has chewed a 1mm hole into the sleeve of my jacket! That sucks, I paid almost a grand several years ago on this outfit and have worn it once! It was even zipped up inside its cover bag. WTH. It's not noticeable but it needs repairing. There's a dude in Chicago that can weave spare fabric in when we get back. But Yes, moths do eat clothes

Submit "9|23|13 piecemeal buildup to lower back shutdown" to Digg Submit "9|23|13 piecemeal buildup to lower back shutdown" to del.icio.us Submit "9|23|13 piecemeal buildup to lower back shutdown" to StumbleUpon Submit "9|23|13 piecemeal buildup to lower back shutdown" to Google

Updated September 23rd, 2013 at 05:44 PM by __steve__

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow, congrats to your wife for that award. That's a bummer about your back and the moth hole. Hope the back heals quickly... you should really think about some yoga or stretching... squats and running create a lot of compression in the lower back, and require some stretching to decompress.
    Yes, I 've been laying off the benefits of yoga. Been stretching my hips though. Kicking has improved.

Thanks Alex