View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 52 - Tuesday

Rate this Entry
It was hard getting up this morning. We had some drama last night with my son related to us finding out he had not turned in some homework and now has detention later this week. That part was fine but his continued refusal to do the makeup homework caused a massive argument between him and my wife. She believes he should do the homework, he believes he has accepted the punishment and as such should not have to do the homework. On one hand I like his logic but on the other he needs to do his homework. We have so much drama over his stubbornness. I don't know where he gets it from. Anyhow back to the swimming, I could have done with an extra hour in bed but powered through and hauled mself out of bed and headed to the pool. Today's workout was tough but I was under instructions to ease off on intensity and just make the times and that's what I did.


Warm up
6x200 on 2.45 swum 150 free, 50 back
10x50 streamline kick with snorkel on 50

Main set
8x150 on 1.45
100 easy
4x(200 free on 2.15, 4x50 back on 45)

Warm down
100 easy

Total 4700scy

I ended up getting about 7 seconds rest on the 150s. On the 200s I swam with no equipment on the first two and then put my paddles on the last 2 and focused on long strokes, strong kick and breathing and went 2.08, 2.05, 2.03, 2.01. I had quite a lot left in the tank and resisted the urge to go for it and by the end I actually felt quite good.

Submit "Week 52 - Tuesday" to Digg Submit "Week 52 - Tuesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 52 - Tuesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 52 - Tuesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. Water Rat's Avatar
    I felt the same this morning but I thought "What would Stewart do?" and rallied!

    How old is your son?
  2. Karl_S's Avatar
    IMO, detention is not a substitute for homework. If he fails to do it twice - he should get the punishment twice. But I can imagine that he might use the strategy of being so delinquent in doing his homework that it is impossible to receive more punishment. For example, if one missed assignment means one day of detention. He knows that he can't get any more punishment after the number of missed assignments exceed the number of days of school. I like the idea of coming up with a punishment that is so undesirable that doing the homework looks like the better option. My mom and dad were terrific at this. The mere hint that they might take away some favorite activity would motivate me to do just about anything, and they rarely showed any signs of a difference of opinion in front of me. Some kids don't have such a good "hook" though.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Some kids don't have such a good "hook" though.
    I found taking away the cell phone or TV or computer worked decently well, though my girls were always more attached to their cell phones than my son.
  4. ekw's Avatar
    I remember my brother once didn't do his reading for class because it was The Diary of Anne Frank and he "didn't want to invade her privacy by reading her diary." I thought that was a good try but my parents didn't buy it.
  5. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I remember my brother once didn't do his reading for class because it was The Diary of Anne Frank and he "didn't want to invade her privacy by reading her diary." I thought that was a good try but my parents didn't buy it.
    If my kid said that, I know my wife and I would still make our kid do the reading, but then, when we had a moment alone, we'd be very proud of the smart-ass creativity of the excuse.

    As for your son, Stewart, I have no clue. I only have daughters. Like Leslie, the best punishment for our daughters has been removing the cell phone. It takes some surgery to remove the sutures between the cell phone and the hand ... and then the whole family suffering through a few days of their cell phone detox delirium tremens, but they survive and learn their lessons well.
  6. Calvin S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    IMO, detention is not a substitute for homework. If he fails to do it twice - he should get the punishment twice. But I can imagine that he might use the strategy of being so delinquent in doing his homework that it is impossible to receive more punishment. For example, if one missed assignment means one day of detention. He knows that he can't get any more punishment after the number of missed assignments exceed the number of days of school.
    Reminds me of people I knew in college that would get a parking ticket on campus and then leave the ticket on the windshield while they continued to illegally park in the hopes that the officer that day would "skip" their car because it already had a ticket. 1% of the time, it worked every time, and that 1% was enough to keep people trying it!
  7. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I felt the same this morning but I thought "What would Stewart do?" and rallied!

    How old is your son?
    You made my day! One of the really nice things about Masters is that there is a community feeling to it and I suspect all of us want to swim quick and win races, but the fact that everyone supports each other is awesome. I use others successes as inspiration too(your's in fact after Nationals).

    My son is soon to be 13. He is not into sport in any way, and is very bright. He excels at Math and Science and we tend to not have much trouble motivating him these subjects. English is his worst subject by a long shot and he hates having to put his thoughts on paper; he says he does not see the point.
  8. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    IMO, detention is not a substitute for homework. If he fails to do it twice - he should get the punishment twice. But I can imagine that he might use the strategy of being so delinquent in doing his homework that it is impossible to receive more punishment. For example, if one missed assignment means one day of detention. He knows that he can't get any more punishment after the number of missed assignments exceed the number of days of school. I like the idea of coming up with a punishment that is so undesirable that doing the homework looks like the better option. My mom and dad were terrific at this. The mere hint that they might take away some favorite activity would motivate me to do just about anything, and they rarely showed any signs of a difference of opinion in front of me. Some kids don't have such a good "hook" though.
    My wife uses that tactic but I think we need to confiscate his computer and computer games for longer. I think the punishment should be comensurate with the crime(and with the age). He gets things taken away just like his sister but I think he needs to loose them for longer and think this will have a bigger affect.

    He will not win this one! His mother is on a war path and she is even more stubborn(she will kill me if she reads this) than he is, and I guarentee he will loose!!!! Watch this space.
  9. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I found taking away the cell phone or TV or computer worked decently well, though my girls were always more attached to their cell phones than my son.
    Dont get me going about my kids and cell phones; I dont know why my 12(soon to be 13) year old needs a phone, his mother and I dont disagree on many things but this is one of those.........That said, I get the idea. I think his computer is our best bet.
  10. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I remember my brother once didn't do his reading for class because it was The Diary of Anne Frank and he "didn't want to invade her privacy by reading her diary." I thought that was a good try but my parents didn't buy it.
    Thats exactly the sort of smart ass comment my son will make, and on one hand I really admire him but on the other I just want him to do his homework.
  11. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    As for your son, Stewart, I have no clue. I only have daughters. Like Leslie, the best punishment for our daughters has been removing the cell phone. It takes some surgery to remove the sutures between the cell phone and the hand ... and then the whole family suffering through a few days of their cell phone detox delirium tremens, but they survive and learn their lessons well.
    I wonder if the cell phone is a boy vs girl difference. I think my daughter will have a hard time loosing a phone(if she gets one) but I think my son would care more about his computer and video games.

    Where I am with my phone I would welcome someone taking mine away!!!
  12. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Reminds me of people I knew in college that would get a parking ticket on campus and then leave the ticket on the windshield while they continued to illegally park in the hopes that the officer that day would "skip" their car because it already had a ticket. 1% of the time, it worked every time, and that 1% was enough to keep people trying it!
    I can see my son being just like that. He is too darn smart for his own good. He hates writing but based on his oral skills last night I see a future in politics. His logic was great. He accepted the punishment and as such in his mind he did not need to make it up. If I was not so tired I would have probably laughed, but at the point he started argueing I just wanted him to take the path of least resistence which was to do his homework. My wife is still mad at him and definately did not see anything funny in his actions(unlike yours truelly).
  13. mcnair's Avatar
    My favorite response to the long drawn out arguments that tend to happen between my wife and the older boys about things like missing homework is "You know, you've spent so much time arguing with your mother now that you probably could have finished the homework already!"

    Unfortunately, I think they like arguing more than they like homework.
  14. fdtotten's Avatar
    Stewart, you can workout so fast and strong then still have so much energy for your job and family!

    When my son was in middle school he was not in to sports, did not like to write essays, etc., but he was in the advanced math class. There was not much I could hold over him that he cared about, other than his online games (Runescape), which I restricted according to grade performances by managing the IP addresses in the router.
    Updated September 25th, 2013 at 06:33 AM by fdtotten
  15. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Unfortunately, I think they like arguing more than they like homework.
    I must admit at times I think that maybe part of our problem too.
  16. Karl_S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    ...There was not much I could hold over him that he cared about, other than his online games (Runescape), which I restricted according to grade performances by managing the IP addresses in the router.
    That's a slick way to handle it. Thanks for the tip!
  17. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Stewart, you can workout so fast and strong then still have so much energy for your job and family!

    When my son was in middle school he was not in to sports, did not like to write essays, etc., but he was in the advanced math class. There was not much I could hold over him that he cared about, other than his online games (Runescape), which I restricted according to grade performances by managing the IP addresses in the router.
    So my son was going to have detention tonight. My wife just called and said apparently he got out of detention because he turned in the homework(apparently they get 1 of these per semester). Long story short, he is very happy right now and my wife said he understood why she made him do the makeup work. We shall see if this understanding sticks or if it is him just trying to get his mother off his back.

    I like your idea and will see if I can outsmart him by blocking his games.