View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 52 - Friday

Rate this Entry
Last night I was ditched by my son in favor of playing with one of his school friends. I still lifted and it gave me a chance to change my lifting based on feedback from my coach. He wants me focusing on power, and wants circuits to be 10,8,6 reps, with a good starting weight, max and fail weights.

5 minute vasa swim bench warmup
3x(bench press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, leg extension, lower back machine, leg curls per leg, inclined bench, military press, lat pull down with hands inside, lat pull down with hands outside)
10 minute vasa swim bench warm down

On the the last circuit I was failing at rep 4 or 5, stopped and finished the sets. I was shaking pretty bad at the end.

Today I was incredibly stiff, but luckily loosened up after the warmup. We did some much shorter sets today with more intensity which felt good.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45
8x100 kick with fins on 1.25

Main set
3x(2x100 on 1.05, 1x100 back on 1.10 back, 50 free on 1min)
10x100 free with fins on 1min
100easy
3x100 from blocks AFAP on 3 ins

Warm down
400 easy

Total 4450scy

I felt ok on the first main set and held 1.01s on the free, 1.07 on the backs. The fast fin set was tough as usual and I made 7 before missing. My arms hurt so bad. I finished the set out after 30 seconds rest. The 100s from the blocks were fun and despite jello arms I swam surprisingly well. I went 53,52, and 51. My coach kept telling me he wanted 49(he has high expectations). Considering I only went 50.x at Spring nationals this was awesome. I think I will swim a good 100 in this next taper. My coach said my stroke looked strong but needed to tighten my turns and get over quicker. I am pleased with how I am swimming right now. My 1 year back in the pool anniversary is Monday. I am tempted to swim in the shorts I wore last year but I am afraid I won't be able to keep them up on my waist which could be quite embarrassing

Submit "Week 52 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 52 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 52 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 52 - Friday" to Google

Updated September 27th, 2013 at 08:24 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

You are looking pretty good in the water! Coach really does have high expectations but I like that it pushes! You should celebrate your 1 year anniversary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    You are looking pretty good in the water! Coach really does have high expectations but I like that it pushes! You should celebrate your 1 year anniversary.
    I am not beating my Nationals rested, shaved and tapered times like you in practice but I am definately trying. I think Tom is awesome. One of the qualities in a great coach is seeing beyond what you are currently doing and he definately sees this in all of us. He is awesome.

I was thinking of wearing my shorts from a year ago over my swim suite just for fun on the warmup.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I was thinking of wearing my shorts from a year ago over my swim suite just for fun on the warmup.
    Yes! Do it.
    Do you have any videos of your nationals(or any) races?
    This is awesome Stewart. When's ur next shave/taper meet? You will blow away your Nats performance
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Do you have any videos of your nationals(or any) races?
    i don't know if my spring nationals swims are still on the web site but I swam in the 40-44 age group and swam the 50,100,200,500 and 1000 free and the 100 back. Probably the best video i saw since they zoom in on me is the 200 free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    This is awesome Stewart. When's ur next shave/taper meet? You will blow away your Nats performance
    Thanks Mark, I was really pleased and honestly very surprised. My next shave and taper is going to be 17th-19th January at the Greater South West Open(this is a USAS meet) and it will be especially fun because its at my home pool, my parents from the UK will be visiting and also my kids have never seen me compete at a shaved and tapered meet. I am really hoping to drop some time on all my events.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Yes! Do it.
    My wife said I would embarrass myself; to which I replied its hard to go lower than a year ago when I actually fit in the shorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am not beating my Nationals rested, shaved and tapered times like you in practice but I am definately trying. I think Tom is awesome. One of the qualities in a great coach is seeing beyond what you are currently doing and he definately sees this in all of us. He is awesome.

Yes but I also have doubled up the amount I'm swimming and have lost 25 pounds since nationals! I'll be happy when I can start doing lifetime bests. Also I have been more into swimming since nationals. Give yourself credit your doing great and your going to wow at worlds
    Great workout Stewart! The 3x100s AFAP results are terrific, but even more so coming at the end of that set! There was no doubt in my mind that your results from the 2012 USMS Spring Nationals were just your starting point for masters taper/shave competitive swimming performances. This most recent workout certainly reflects your increasing fitness and capacity towards attaining masters PRs in all events at your next taper/shave competition.
    Yes but I also have doubled up the amount I'm swimming and have lost 25 pounds since nationals! I'll be happy when I can start doing lifetime bests. Also I have been more into swimming since nationals. Give yourself credit your doing great and your going to wow at worlds
    Your hard work will pay off. Great habits lead to great things and swimming fast in practice in my experience leads to swimming fast at meets. You are still able to do a life time best. Keep pushing and working hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Great workout Stewart! The 3x100s AFAP results are terrific, but even more so coming at the end of that set! There was no doubt in my mind that your results from the 2012 USMS Spring Nationals were just your starting point for masters taper/shave competitive swimming performances. This most recent workout certainly reflects your increasing fitness and capacity towards attaining masters PRs in all events at your next taper/shave competition.
    Thanks so much Frank. It's hard to believe its only been 3 weeks since labor day but I have been pushing hard since then and I am definately feeling muscularly tired. I recall your kind words after Nationals and want you to know know much I appreciate your support. I am very excited about the next 12 months but have to keep reminding myself that no matter what the outcome, I have to enjoy the journey. This year has been so much fun and I don't want to loose my love for the sport again.
    Awesome!