View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Friday, September 27, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , September 27th, 2013 at 09:13 PM (458 Views)
SCY@FGCU Aquatic Center
Air temp 76 Water temp 78
Sunny, cloudy, humidity at 75%

Warm Up
Bands
200 BK K-DR-S
200 BR K-DR-S
200 Fly K-DR-S
300 FR K-DR-S
400 MF as 4(75 K/bk, 25 SDK)

*Set 1*
6x75 FR Pull on 1:10, desc 1-3, 4-6 *51-48s
---100 BK ez on 1:30
20x50 FR on :50 *31-30 SPL-11/12 w/snorkel
---100 BK ez on 1:30
6x25 FR on :50 BC-1 Fast, *12-11s
---100 BK ez on 1:30
10x50 FR on 1:00, 1-9)*29s @SPL-12, 10)*27
---200 BR Kick
---200 BR SPL-6

*Set 2*
3(6x25 on :50) 1)Fly *13-12, 2)Bk *14-13, 3)BR *17-16
---200 BK
2(4x25 FR on 1:00) BC-0 *11s
---200 BK

*Set 3*
1000 FR KDS as 5(50K-RS/LS, 125CU, 25 FAST DPS)
/with ap-fins-snorkel

Warm Down
200 IM EZ
100 IM EZ

Comments
Finally a day without rain. After doing the bands on deck, I thought that my legs and arms seemed moderately tired, but I swam better today than I expected.

My first SCM master meet ever will be the Shark Tank SCM Meet, Nov 9-10 in Sarasota. On Saturday I will need to choose between 400IM/200FR/100Fly as my first event, then 100IM/100BK/50FR as my second event, with the 400 FR as a possible 3rd event. Sunday starts out with the 1500 FR , but I lean towards the 200 IM and then two events later the 50 Fly. Although I am tempted to try the 200 Fly, perhaps the 100 Free and the 50 BK might be more reasonable, which are before and after the 200 Fly.

Submit "Friday, September 27, 2013" to Digg Submit "Friday, September 27, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, September 27, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, September 27, 2013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. ekw's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure Patrick is going to tell you to do the 400 IM and James is going to tell you to do the 200 fly.
  2. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    You will swim awesome and I am sure you will like SCM. Growing up in England SCM was my normal setup. I loved it because you have a comparison against LCM and invariably swim quicker swimming SCM compared to LCM.

    Its always fun swimming something different but it's also nice swimming events you can compare against previous swims, so it's a tough choice. The great thing about your training is you have trained for all these races and no matter what you swim I am confident you will swim really well and have a lot of fun.
  3. Celestial's Avatar
    Good luck on your meet! My second SCM will be Oct 11-13 at the Rowdy Gaines meet in Orlando. Went last year and wasn't real crazy about the temp in the warm down pool, but it was crazy fun. We even have 25s of each stroke!
  4. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I'm pretty sure Patrick is going to tell you to do the 400 IM and James is going to tell you to do the 200 fly.
    Actually, no

    I'd vote for 200 free - 100 IM - 400 free on Day #1 for you. From my reading of your blog, you seemed most jazzed and intense about your freestyle, so start off with a day that has free at the start and end and something completely fun in the middle. With that said, unless you JUST want to do the 1,500 on Day #2 (it wastes you for everything else), I'd agree with your 200 IM, 50 fly and 200 fly order. The 200 fly SCM is eminently doable as long as you remember to sleep through the first 125-150 and then build the last 50-75.
  5. __steve__'s Avatar
    Have you done any practice runs in the choices?
  6. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I'm pretty sure Patrick is going to tell you to do the 400 IM and James is going to tell you to do the 200 fly.
    No doubt their preferences are well known. But I would always be thankful to receive any comments and insights from USMS forumites.
    Updated September 28th, 2013 at 04:48 PM by fdtotten
  7. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You will swim awesome and I am sure you will like SCM. Growing up in England SCM was my normal setup. I loved it because you have a comparison against LCM and invariably swim quicker swimming SCM compared to LCM.

    Its always fun swimming something different, but it's also nice swimming events you can compare against previous swims, so it's a tough choice. The great thing about your training is you have trained for all these races and no matter what you swim I am confident you will swim really well and have a lot of fun.
    I am looking forward to SCM competition. I hope to participate in at least two SCM meets before the end of 2013, the Shark Tank SCM Meet 11/9-10, and then later on Dec 14-15 possibly the TBA Coral Springs SCM meet, and if not, I will do the Florida Senior Games State Championships on the same weekend in SCY being held in Fort Myers.
  8. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Good luck on your meet! My second SCM will be Oct 11-13 at the Rowdy Gaines meet in Orlando. Went last year and wasn't real crazy about the temp in the warm down pool, but it was crazy fun. We even have 25s of each stroke!
    Thanks! I was going to enter the RG scm meet in Orlando this October, but then there was an unavoidable conflict. The 25s would be a lot of fun, oh well, maybe in 2014.
  9. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Actually, no

    I'd vote for 200 free - 100 IM - 400 free on Day #1 for you. From my reading of your blog, you seemed most jazzed and intense about your freestyle, so start off with a day that has free at the start and end and something completely fun in the middle. With that said, unless you JUST want to do the 1,500 on Day #2 (it wastes you for everything else), I'd agree with your 200 IM, 50 fly and 200 fly order. The 200 fly SCM is eminently doable as long as you remember to sleep through the first 125-150 and then build the last 50-75.
    Thanks for those comments! Yes, the 200 FR, 100 IM, 400 FR do appear to be good selections for Saturday. Actually I would consider a 1500 as a training swim if it was the last event. But for Sunday I also like the 200 IM, 50 Fly, with 200 Fly as a competitive practice for SCY 200 Flys early 2014 (yes I will sleep through the first 150!). I can away TT the 50s of each strokes in practice anyway, and will be doing dive 100/200 FR on some of my training quality sets.
  10. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Have you done any practice runs in the choices?
    No time trials specific in SCM or to these events. But I have been timed by coach Chuck in LCM for 50 FR at 27.64, 100 FR at 1:02.7 in late August. During the next two weeks I will time trial an SCY 200 Fly, 200 IM, 100IM, 50 Fly, and 500 FR. Also there will be quality training sets where I will be doing dive 100 and 200 FR as negative split swims. I think I would like to have done a 200 IM in a meet before doing a 400 IM in a meet (along with doing a pre-competition 400 IM time trial).