View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 53 - Monday(1 Year Anniversary)

Rate this Entry
I woke feeling pretty good this morning. I was hoping we would do the 300 test set and my wish was answered. The old expression of watch what you ask for came true today. We dropped the send off time and I was hurting really bad. Overall this was a really long workout and I hurt bad, but I was able to hold a good pace.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45
10x50 on 50 swum 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 swim, 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 swim100 easy

Main set
10x300 pull with paddles on 3.20
100 easy
3x(3x50 kick on 45, 3x50 free active recovery on 45)

Warm down
100 easy

Total 5400scy

My 300s were pretty good but I fell off on 8,9 and 10. I went 3.01,3.03,3.03,3.03,3.03,3.03,3.03,3.05,3.08,3.09. The kick set was hard and I held 38-40s. I am thinking of swimming an open water swim this weekend. A couple of guys on our team are doing it and we suggested putting together a relay. So i will do the swim, a friend from work will do the bike and then one of the guys I swim with who is doing the swim on a sprint will do our run. The relay will be a Standard triathlon. Everyone keeps telling me how much fun it will be so I will give it a go. One year back in the pool and despite feling really beat today I don't feel half as bad as I did one year today. It's been an awesome year and I have had a lot of fun. Hopefully I will have many more years of enjoyable swimming.

Submit "Week 53 - Monday(1 Year Anniversary)" to Digg Submit "Week 53 - Monday(1 Year Anniversary)" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 53 - Monday(1 Year Anniversary)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 53 - Monday(1 Year Anniversary)" to Google

Updated September 30th, 2013 at 01:41 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

What happened to wearing your shorts? Nice workout today!
    Happy anniversary.
    How would you have performed that test set one year ago?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    What happened to wearing your shorts? Nice workout today!
    I went looking for them yesterday and I dont believe I have them anymore. DeAnna got rid of a bunch of my stuff sometime back and I suspect they went to helping hands.

Thanks. It was tough one. You did great; always impressive when you do your longest workout to date in your comeback and you did just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Happy anniversary.
    How would you have performed that test set one year ago?!
    Thanks.

The earliest one of these sets I can find on my blog is week 16 and I was going off 3.45. I recall an earlier set where I was going off of 4mins and struggling. I dont think I will ever forget how bad I felt that first month. I have definately come a long way.
    Great set of 300s, for sure.

Team triathlons are very fun. There was a period when my wife was running with a group and they often needed a swimmer for their team tris; both they (generally runners and runners who could bike) loved having me and I loved the swims. I assume you'll be in some sort of lake?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I went looking for them yesterday and I dont believe I have them anymore. DeAnna got rid of a bunch of my stuff sometime back and I suspect they went to helping hands.

Thanks. It was tough one. You did great; always impressive when you do your longest workout to date in your comeback and you did just that.
    I really felt it at the end of the 10x300s and my arms were jello. I just hated not having an interval since I couldn't see the clock! I'm going to be going to watch the triathlon so I'll be cheering you on. A lot of our team is competing. At least 4 I think
    Once again, a great workout! There is no doubt you will be able to compete well in all the FR races from 1500/1650 to the 50, and based on how well your kicking is developing to support your already very strong pull, your sweet spot racing distance may be the 200 FR, and I foresee that with the right race execution, very impressive 100s and 50s FR as well. As goes the FR, your BK appears to follow.

About team triathlons, as Patrick commented, they certainly can be fun and thrilling events. In the middle 1980s, myself and two friends did the Wildflower Triathlon for a number years, where I was the swimmer on those team efforts. At that time the WT participation was about 300-400 entries with a team division, however that is no longer the case, and it has become a huge "I was there" event. I think what you are doing will be a wonderful experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Great set of 300s, for sure. Team triathlons are very fun. There was a period when my wife was running with a group and they often needed a swimmer for their team tris; both they (generally runners and runners who could bike) loved having me and I loved the swims. I assume you'll be in some sort of lake?
    The event is the US Open Triathlon http://dallastri.lifetimetri.com/It's in a local lake called lake Ray Hubbard. It should be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    I really felt it at the end of the 10x300s and my arms were jello. I just hated not having an interval since I couldn't see the clock! I'm going to be going to watch the triathlon so I'll be cheering you on. A lot of our team is competing. At least 4 I think
    I really like this test set and arms like jello is good on this one. Not being able to see the clock sucks. I have been swimming in the optical goggle for quite a while now and recommend them.Next year we need a few RAM relays that would be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Once again, a great workout! There is no doubt you will be able to compete well in all the FR races from 1500/1650 to the 50, and based on how well your kicking is developing to support your already very strong pull, your sweet spot racing distance may be the 200 FR, and I foresee that with the right race execution, very impressive 100s and 50s FR as well. As goes the FR, your BK appears to follow.
    I have never really considered myself a 200 swimmer but I actually think you maybe right about the 200 potentially being my best event(at least right now). My endurance is ok but it's definately not where it once was and i never was a true long D type even in the day. My favorite event was always the 500/400 and I think this is how will always measure my progress. My coach has challenged me to set some time goals and he has implied the 200 is where he thinks I can surprise myself. I just signed up for the DAM short course meters meet and due to the order of events will be doing both the 400 and 200 free and then chose the 50 back and 100 IM. I am quite looking forward to swimming some off events. I plan on doing a 200 back at some point in the future too.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    About team triathlons, as Patrick commented, they certainly can be fun and thrilling events. In the middle 1980s, myself and two friends did the Wildflower Triathlon for a number years, where I was the swimmer on those team efforts. At that time the WT participation was about 300-400 entries with a team division, however that is no longer the case, and it has become a huge "I was there" event. I think what you are doing will be a wonderful experience!
    I don't know what to expect but plan on enjoying the event and having some fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I really like this test set and arms like jello is good on this one. Not being able to see the clock sucks. I have been swimming in the optical goggle for quite a while now and recommend them.Next year we need a few RAM relays that would be fun.
    Relays would be fun!