View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , October 9th, 2013 at 04:15 PM (352 Views)
SCY@FGCU Aquatic Center
Air temp 76 Water temp 81
Sunny & partly cloudy, humidity at 72%

Warm Up
Bands
400 RIM
200 DK/bk
200 BR K/bk
12x25 MF on HR rest as SDK

*Set 1*
12x25 Fly on :40 @SPL-6 *16-14, RI...
6x100 BK on 1:40 @SPL-12 *1:15-1:10, RI...
8x25 BR on :40 @SPL-6 *19, RI...
8x100 FR on 1:20 @SPL-12 *1:08-1:06
---100 BK

*Set 2*
2(8x25 on HR Rest) from Dive at 75%, 8 Fly/8 FR
8x25 on 1:30 as 25 SDK Fast *15s-14s

*Set 3*
600 BR as 8(25K/50S) w/snorkel
---100 BK
600 FLY as 8(25K/50S) w/snorkel

*Set 4*
5x200 IM on HR rest, build 200 by 50 1-4

Warm Down
4x100 FR EZ SPL-8

Comments
Over five days recently, a range of allergy symptoms accumulated within me, a nasal post drip, watery eyes, sneezing, aching back, etc., & etc.,... building to a miserable, tired and cranky peak on Monday, where after dinner I told my wife I was going to lie down for a minute then return to clean up the kitchen, but I never did until I awakened on Tuesday morning. Since then I seemed to be gradually returning to a better level of wellness. Perhaps that was my problem last week, rather than overtraining.

Today I felt OK in the water as I am transitioning towards more IM and stroke sets. In Set 2, I did 8x25 as timed underwater SDK to see where I was at in terms of speed. I suppose 15s and 14s are a solid effort, but I am hopeful that with continuing practice I can become better adapted to the hypoxic component as well as faster.

Submit "Wednesday, October 9, 2013" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, October 9, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, October 9, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, October 9, 2013" to Google

Updated October 9th, 2013 at 08:43 PM by fdtotten

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Set 3 sounds brutal to a freestyle guy. If 600 breast is not bad enough, following it up with 600 fly is brutal, even if you did kick and stroke. My shoulders and knees would have been shot. Your transition to stroke and IM looks great.
    Set 3 sounds intimidating to me as well!

Allergies can really drag you down. I hope you are on the upside swing!

I think those times are extremely respectable for 8 x 25 SDK, especially following the 16 x 25 from a dive.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Set 3 sounds intimidating to me as well!

Allergies can really drag you down. I hope you are on the upside swing!

I think those times are extremely respectable for 8 x 25 SDK, especially following the 16 x 25 from a dive.
    Actually for many years until recently, I did not even realize I had allergy issues, rather I thought those kind of irritating symptoms were a minor cold or so. I can only blame myself because I only would see the doctor for the annual checkup, and on those days I always felt great.

Thanks for the your SDK comment, as I am quite the novice at this point. SDK is not only a significant competitive racing skill, but also provides excellent conditioning and fitness in general. I believe your success in racing with SDK as well as your consistent training with SDK has inspired many adult swimmers to try it out for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Set 3 sounds brutal to a freestyle guy. If 600 breast is not bad enough, following it up with 600 fly is brutal, even if you did kick and stroke. My shoulders and knees would have been shot. Your transition to stroke and IM looks great.
    As always, thank you Stewart for your continuing support and encouragement.

About Set 3, it actually only APPEARS more difficult than what it really is, just a kick-swim set with the snorkel. While swimming fly with the snorkel can be challenging to learn, it is actually easier to swim moderate pace butterfly with less effort than with regular breathing. I use the snorkel to work on DPS for BR and Fly along with the high elbow pull.