View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:05-12:05pm

Rate this Entry
Today I arrived at the pool to find the parking lot very very full, as compared to normal. Then I noticed a lot of Velocity Swimming stickers in the backs of car windows, and realized they were back to their Saturday morning practices. The younger kids were just getting out when I got there, and making all kinds of noise in the locker room like normal. As I go in, I say "Hey all you kids, keep it down in here!" (jokingly of course). THey all respond with "JAMES!!!" "Are you coming back to swim with Velocity??" from a few of them. I replied with no, unfortunately. It's good to know I was well liked and missed by them though.

I got to swim today with my dentist who was already in the pool warming up. I swam my own thing, but swim similar things to what he was doing, so in a way were were pacing each other. He swims with short fins all the time, but holds a consistent 1:15 pace on 30x100s @ 1:30. Not bad shape for a 65+ dentist. He told me that he enjoyed having my next to him to keep him moving. I was thinking the same thing as I did my swim.

Warmup:

500 Free
10 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00
(1000/1000)

10 x 100 @ 1:30 (25 Fly, 75 Free) - ranged from 1:08-1:10s
My interval happened to coordinate great with my lanemate, as I was flipping at the 50, he was pushing off about a second later...it was good to have the competition next to me.
(1000/2000)

200 EZ Kick w/ board
(200/2200)

8 x (Odds 100 Free Pull, Evens 125 Free Pull) @ 1:35
I took it EZ on the 100s, and pushed the 125s going approx. 1:20s. It was good to swim alongside someone today who was basically doing the same thing.
(900/3100)

100 EZ

-----------------------------
3200 Yards

In other good news: I found out that I'll be off work for the weekend of my college Alumni Meet in two weeks, so I'm 90% going to be making the trek down there. On the Facebook announcement, I'm the oldest swimmer to respond as "going" to the event this year. In fact I'm the only one from the 20th century as well (1999 is my class). Most of the kids are from the most recent 2-3 years since graduation, so they'll be good for the 50s. I'm going to do the 200 Fly in the 200 Free event, and probably a whole slew of other stuff. Probably will take down my full leg suit as well for the floatiness in my legs. It's about 6 hours away, but I can stay with my sister or grandparents as well. The only obstacle may be snow in the mountains in southern Washington, but I'll just check pass reports and plan ahead.

Submit "Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:05-12:05pm" to Digg Submit "Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:05-12:05pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:05-12:05pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:05-12:05pm" to Google

Comments

As I go in, I say "Hey all you kids, keep it down in here!" (jokingly of course). THey all respond with "JAMES!!!" "Are you coming back to swim with Velocity??" from a few of them. I replied with no, unfortunately. It's good to know I was well liked and missed by them though.
    Seems you weren't the only one that benefited from all that swimming. A great example for the kids - they can see through adults and you must have left a very positive impression - paying it forward. Good luck at the alumni meet and hope the snow holds off - yikes its only mid Oct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Seems you weren't the only one that benefited from all that swimming. A great example for the kids - they can see through adults and you must have left a very positive impression - paying it forward. Good luck at the alumni meet and hope the snow holds off - yikes its only mid Oct.
    If I could do it, I would still be swimming with the team. I loved almost everything about it. I still keep up with what the kids are doing with the local team, their high school teams, etc. Facebook is great for a lot of that too.
    As for the college kids at the Alumni Meet...I'm bringing the pain. Hope they're ready for it.