View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 55 - Monday

Rate this Entry
I felt much better this morning after a good weekend. My daughter swam great at her meet and had some big time drops in both the 200 free and the 200IM. I worked on deck all weekend and enjoyed myself.

This week is the start of a big yardage 3 week training cycle and I need to make sure I stay positive and healthy over the next 3 weeks. I am thinking of taking a week off work in a couple of weeks to really hit the aerobic base once more before we move to more emphasis on quality.

Todays workout was our 10x300 test set with some more fast aerobic work at the end of practice!! I felt much better today than the last time I did this set, and stayed strong throughout with no fall off on speed.

Warm up
400 free without snorkel(I have misplaced my nose clip)
6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
10x300 on 3.20 pull with paddles
100 easy
10x50 kick on 50 swum no slower than 45
3x(2x100 on 1.05, 1x100 on 1.30)

Warm down
100 easy

Total 5200scy

I held 3.04s on all of the 300's. I relaxed more on the first three, concentrated on not shortening my stroke on the middle 3, and hung on for dear life on the last 4. I was very pleased with this set. I read an article about the importance of kicking as hard as poissible on kick sets, and worked the kick as hard as I could, holding 40-42's(mainly 40's). The last main set was mentally hard but I made all the 100's holding 1.02-1.03s on the fast and about 1.15s on the recovery 100's. I felt good today.

Submit "Week 55 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 55 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 55 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 55 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Man, you guys are training like age groupers! Very impressive both volume and speed.
    Since I signed up for USAS I strictly am an age grouper I guess I am the up in 15 & Up. We are definately in a high yardage cycle and my coach is emphasizing pace based sets. I think long term this will really help me with pace endurance, but right now it's tough. As I write this response I am icing again after another long workout. Something else that's new for me is the focus on aerobic strength training in the weight room. The circuits with no rest with increasing intensity are awesome for tearing you up. The good thing is we only have a few more weeks of this type of base training before we move into some quality cycles.

On a separate note it looks like I won't be able to make the Grunion meet in Commerce due to a conflict with a USAS meet my daughter and I will be swimming in. It too runs Friday through Sunday; it's the COR classic. One of these days we will get an opportunity to meet in person and swim in the same pool.