View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 56 - Monday

Rate this Entry
I woke feeling pretty good this morning and other than one set felt good today. TOdays practice followed the long yardage theme from last week and mixed in some more intensity as I had hoped we would not but in the back of my mind knew we would this week.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
6x400 on 4.40 pull with paddles
8x150 free on 1.45
50 easy
10x50 kick on 55

Warm down
300 with snorkel long stroke working turns

Total 5150scy

I held 4.10-4.15s on the 400s. The 8x150s were hard switching from aerobic to fast swimming. I was holding 1.35s on the 150s but they hurt. I worked the kick and held 40s throughout.

My daughter has a meet on 9-10th Nov but I may be able to swing a quick trip to Houston to do the 1500scm. Patrick got me thinking about trying to do a quick 1500 for a Fina ranking. My wife thinks I am nuts but oh well. I should know how this will work out once they post the event doc for her meet so I can figure out if it's doable or not time wise.

Submit "Week 56 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 56 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 56 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 56 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Stewart, what event are you focusing most on? You have been doing a lot of long-distance short-rest swimming so 500/1000/1650 I suppose??
    I am training for middle distance free events, primarily the 200,400/500 and 800/1000, but will compete in events either side of these, so will do the 50 and 100 and the 1500/1650(basically all the free events). In my distant past the 400/500 was my best event but I think my 200 may end up being my strongest event right now(despite detesting it).Speaking with our coach sometime back he likes building endurance and strength with a combination of aerobic and fast race paced sets. I have really felt an improvement in my overall conditioning this past summer by doing these long aerobic sets on short rest.
    Stewart your workouts are humbling. I think of myself as an aerobic junkie but whew! My last set of 150s was longer but on decidedly more rest - declining intervals down to 2:00 for the last 4 and I struggled to maintain what you were doing on :10 rest! You are absolutely going to kill in your next taper meet. One day I'd like to attempt to draft off you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Stewart your workouts are humbling. I think of myself as an aerobic junkie but whew!
    Thanks Mark. We are definately working hard at the moment. I also really like my daily shot of endorphins. Mix that with some post workout caffeine and I have my fix for the day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    One day I'd like to attempt to draft off you!
    I am sure our paths will cross and when they do I am sure it will be fun to race. You will likely kick my butt!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am training for middle distance free events, primarily the 200,400/500 and 800/1000, but will compete in events either side of these, so will do the 50 and 100 and the 1500/1650(basically all the free events). In my distant past the 400/500 was my best event but I think my 200 may end up being my strongest event right now(despite detesting it).Speaking with our coach sometime back he likes building endurance and strength with a combination of aerobic and fast race paced sets. I have really felt an improvement in my overall conditioning this past summer by doing these long aerobic sets on short rest.
    Well I certainly can't fault your conditioning! Those workouts are just jaw-dropping to me. Your coach seems a bit old-school though. I'd think there would be more long-rest speed work, (maybe 1-2x weekly) if your are looking at the 200 as potentially your best event.
    I'm pretty sure that I am not the only forumite who is looking forward to your next meet report. It should be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Well I certainly can't fault your conditioning! Those workouts are just jaw-dropping to me. Your coach seems a bit old-school though. I'd think there would be more long-rest speed work, (maybe 1-2x weekly) if your are looking at the 200 as potentially your best event.
    I am honestly not sure what old vs new school really is. I have read a lot about the race based training methods, and agree with the premise, but I also swim longer distance races than all the examples presented thus far and have been out so long I feel I need an aerobic base. I get your point about us piling on the yardage and how this would come across as arcane, however I know that my coach's methods worked well before Nationals last spring without a good base under me(I was only back in the pool about 8 months at Nationals, after being out for 22 years or so).

We are doing something similar to the way I trained for Spring Nationals. right now I worked with my coach to set a long term goal(worlds in Montreal next year) and then broke the time down into 3 segments, with a goal meet at the end of each segment. My next big meet is in January when I will shave and taper for the Greater South West Open a USAS meet. For each segment we are working on 3 week cycles. Each cycle has a different emphasis. Some cycles focus on aerobic training like the one we are currently in while others are quality focused, while others are pace endurance focused. We chose 3 week cycles since its the length of my taper and seemed to work well last time(and when I was in college). We are in a long aerobic cycle for the next two weeks, and then we will come down a little in yardage and start to add more quality, before going back up again for one final push before my taper before Christmas.

I'm pretty sure that I am not the only forumite who is looking forward to your next meet report. It should be fun!
    I have really enjoyed the support I have received from fellow Forumites since my return to the pool, and get motivated each day when I read others workouts and achievements.

I can 100% say that there is no way I would have joined USAS if it were not for other Forumites who have already swum/raced the kids. I have my first USAS meet in a couple of weeks and despite being pretty beat up right now as a result of the work the past few weeks I hope to get qualifying times to allow me to compete in the kids A meets.

Thanks for the kind words.
    I can 100% say that there is no way I would have joined USAS if it were not for other Forumites who have already swum/raced the kids. I have my first USAS meet in a couple of weeks and despite being pretty beat up right now as a result of the work the past few weeks I hope to get qualifying times to allow me to compete in the kids A meets.
    I'm nowhere near USAS A-cuts, but I did a USAS meet once last year when I just couldn't make any of the local USMS meets work with my schedule. It was quite fun and I got a total surprise personal best. It should be fun for you and I'm confident you'll get some A-cuts.
    I'm nowhere near USAS A-cuts, but I did a USAS meet once last year when I just couldn't make any of the local USMS meets work with my schedule. It was quite fun and I got a total surprise personal best. It should be fun for you and I'm confident you'll get some A-cuts.
    My coach trains our junior racer group; the A to AAAA 11-12 year olds and I have swum with them a number of times. Its always great fun and another reason why I decided to signup for USAS meets. Our coach gets the kids going by telling them not to let the old man beat them and the kids and I have a blast. At that age its not all about competition, its still fun and in most cases they are great kids.

My only real nervousness about the meet is the possible reaction of the parents. I know a lot of the parents on the team through my daughter and through masters. At the end of the day it will be what it will be and I will have fun no matter what!