View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Freestyle Night at GMU, Nov. 4

Rate this Entry
by , November 5th, 2008 at 12:58 PM (1100 Views)
The family was sitting around watching election results, so I went to my team practice to complete a "triple" for the day. Very rare for me to show up on a Tuesday night, especially since Tuesday is usually distance free night. Fortunately, we weren't doing 400 repeats or anything quite so nasty. I didn't feel too tired on the way to practice despite spinning and lifting, but I could feel the prior workouts the moment I hit the pool. Still, got in a good conditioning set, one that I would NEVER do on my own. Most treated the repeats of 4 x 50 kicks as active recovery. I didn't. I swam smooth backstroke on the 150s and 300s and worked the kicks. My shoulder is still a tad sore, and freestyle bothers my shoulder. So I substitute backstroke frequently for free, like Quicksilver.

Warm up:

300 free
300 stroke
200 kick
100 fly drill

10 x 25 drill on :30 (2 fly, 2 back, 2 breast, 2 free, 2 scull)

Main Set:

3 x 100 free on 1:20
4 x 50 kick on 1:00
30 seconds rest
2 x 150 free on 2:00 (backstroke with fins)
30 seconds rest
1 x 300 free on 4:00 (backstroke with fins)
30 seconds rest
2 x 150 free on 2:00 (backstroke with fins)
30 seconds rest
3 x 100 free on 1:20 (I did them backstroke kick with fins fast, went 1:05, 1:05, 1:00)

Warm down:

6 x 75 active recovery with 10 RI

Total: 3900

Submit "Freestyle Night at GMU, Nov. 4" to Digg Submit "Freestyle Night at GMU, Nov. 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Freestyle Night at GMU, Nov. 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Freestyle Night at GMU, Nov. 4" to Google

Updated November 5th, 2008 at 02:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice one, Leslie. Looks like some good work there
    "So I substitute backstroke frequently for free, like Quicksilver."

I've been trying to do more freestyle recently. Oddly enough I swim 200's and distance sets better on my my back.
    (And my shoulders don't feel tight after practice when I do backstroke days.)

Mixing up the muscle groups isn't really such a bad thing. I think most people who avoid backstroke maybe just never got the hang of it.
    Those kick sets are going to make you fast off the turns.

Your Amazonian nemesis is in for a big surprise this year.
    Hahaha. Hmmmm .... do you know specifically who I refer to? I can beat her in the 50 back, but she usually takes me down in the 100. She is very, very tall, and I am very very not.
    I've heard you speak of her before. It sounds like you have a good rivalry.

But height doesn't always mean having the advantage. Your kicking skills can be a huuuge secret weapon.

I bet if you trained more 100's and 150's she'd have a hard time shaking you off in the 100.
    I have some backstroke 150s planned for today! I won't have my match up until SCY Zones though. I'm not swimming the 100 back at SCM Zones, but she is, so we'll see who's virtually faster this year.