View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 56 - Friday

Rate this Entry
I decided to not do leg exercises in the weight room last night since I was still sore from Tuesday. Instead I did my normal circuits but focused on back and chest. I lifted pretty hard but for some reason I never have the same soreness as I do with legs. My wife affectionately calls me chicken legs!

I woke feeling pretty good this morning and had a great workout. My legs felt better today and I had little to no after affects with my chest and back. Today had more speed than any workout so far this week but we still kept the yardage up.

Weights last night was 3 circuits going 10,8,6 reps per circuit.

3x(bench press, inclined bench, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lower back extensions, lat pull down hands inside, lat pull downs hands outside, medicine ball throws gainer the wall)

todays swim

warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

main set
8x200 pull with paddles on 2.30 descend 1-4 with snorkel and 5-8 without paddles
8x75 IM order no free on 1min
10x100 kick with fins on 1.20 holding under 1 min alternating back and with kick board
10x50 free best average on 1 min

warm down
400 free

Total 5600scy

i felt really strong today. On the pull set round 1 I went 2.10, 2.07, 2.05, 2.03. Round 2 I went 2.05, 2.03, 2.00, 1.57. The IMs were touch and go; initially I went 55 but came in around 58s for most of these. The kick set I went out a little quick and went 56 on the first back 100 but then held 58s and 59s. The best average free 50s I felt really strong and held 26s on all of these. My coach said that for each 50 I was slower than 27 he would make me do an extra 50 and I was determined to not do any extras. There was also a young guy swimming with us who my coach kept ragging about letting the old guy(me) beat him and again I was determined not to allow him to beat me. I was really excited about how I felt and swam today. My best average 50s on 26 was great and what made it even better was that this came after a lot of long fast swimming. I think the weights are starting to pay off!

I have my first USAS meet next weekend and I will have another long week yardage wise before then. It's looking like this week will be another 32k week.

Submit "Week 56 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 56 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 56 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 56 - Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

You are just an animal these days!

Bench press, inclined bench, military press ... Wow, lots of shoulder wrenching exercises. I haven't been to the gym for awhile, but I avoid all of those. Upper body lifting is way more taxing for me, but I don't have chicken legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You are just an animal these days!

Bench press, inclined bench, military press ... Wow, lots of shoulder wrenching exercises. I haven't been to the gym for awhile, but I avoid all of those. Upper body lifting is way more taxing for me, but I don't have chicken legs.
    Some days are harder than others but I am having fun again. My animal lane instincts are still there

Despite being quite a long thin guy(as oppossed to a long thin guy with a pot belly as I once was) I have a strong upper body. My chicken legs another story. If I can get my legs into half way decent shape I think my 200 and 500 will improve dramatically. Obviously you and I focus on different races but I would love to have 1/4 of your fast twitch muscles and strong kick but alas I dont and never will. I just need to make sure that as I do my weights I dont do anything stupid and injure myself. I keep telling myself I need to keep good form and stop when I fail as oppossed to pushing through the failure; its tough though.
    I don't know how you do all these long workouts and lift weights! I been living on my heating pad since we started. I was so tired about halfway through practice today. Great workout today! Hope you do great in your 200 at your first USA swim meet!
    I think I am a glutton for punishment.

You are doing awesome. Keep pushing but don't overdo it and make sure you stay healthy. I ice pretty heavily after practice when I get sore shoulders. I felt the best today I have felt since we started this cycle. I plan on working legs tomorrow after practice so will likely be pretty pathetic on Monday.

Thanks for the support.
    I've been making sure I don't overdo it. One shoulder surgery is bad enough I don't want another one. Thanks for all your support