View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 56 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
I rushed home last night to attend one of my sons concerts only to find out that my daughter was over at a friends house and I was told by my wife to stay and wait for her to come home before coming to the concert a little later. Long story short I fell asleep in the chair and my wife somehow picked up my daughter after the concert and I slept through it. I ended up going to bed when they got home and woke bright and early this morning feeling pretty good.

Todays practice was a little surprising and a nice change up from the rest of this week. We still did long yardage but we did some best average 100s(remember I said this was my coaches favorite set and they suck-well they did today). Despite the intensity I did great and I am feeling really good about where we are currently.

Todays swim:

Warm up
6x200 with snorkel on 2.40 working turns and stroke

Main set
6x100 free best average on 3mins with an active recovery 50 between 100s
200 easy
10x50 kick on 50
1000 pull with snorkel
1000 swim with snorkel with every 4th length streamline kick
8x50 free working on getting my right hand to enter little finger(pinky-despite living in the US for most of my adult life I still struggle calling it my pinky)

Total 5100scy

I felt really strong on the best average 100s. The first one I went 55 and then held 54s(mostly 54 lows according to my coach) until the last one where I went 53. 54 best average is the best I have done on this set and I felt good throughout. I did feel my stroke shorten and my coach told me I had a couple of turns where I did not go straight over but rather around(I had this challenge prior to nationals and thought I had worked it out). On number 4 and 5 my kick fell off on the last length too, so still have a lot to work on.The kick hurt pretty bad but I held mainly 41-42s, which again is really good for me. The long warm down was due to lots of other age groups coming in early and pool space got cramped due to a high school meet later today moving start time forward. I ended up finishing up by doing the warmup of another group.

After the swim I lifted and focused on legs today, which was tough both physically and mentally after a fairly long workout in the pool. I did my normal 3 circuits with 10,8,6 reps per circuit with increasing weights. I am significantly increasing weight on all exercises which is great to see. I am also feeling this progress psotively affecting my swimming which at the end of the day is my only reason for lifting and rewarding to see and feel.

Weights
3x(leg extensions, leg curls, leg press, lungs, bench press, inclined bench, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull downs hands inside, lat pull downs hands outside)

I had about 20 minutes between my workout finishing and when I had to turn around and take my daughter back to the pool(I live about 10 mins from the pool) for her workout. She is swimming as I type and she is doing awesome. Today is an awesome day but I suspect it will fly by!

Submit "Week 56 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 56 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 56 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 56 - Saturday" to Google

Updated October 26th, 2013 at 12:14 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Great 100s. Were those from the blocks or a push?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Great 100s. Were those from the blocks or a push?
    Thanks Patrick. They were from a push. I wish they were from the blocks; that would have been much easier but alas my coach does not believe in easy