View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sprint Classic, Oct. 27

Rate this Entry
Back from a long, restorative weekend in VA. The highlights of the meet were seeing all my PV friends and defending my title in the Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters. I was pretty pleased with the meet results. I've only competed one day since Indy Nats and the rust showed with a fair number of technical miscues. In retrospect, I wish I had rested a couple more days. And I will no longer get deep tissue massages 5 days before a meet; I wasn't fully recovered.

50 fly, 26.4

This was probably my worst race and the furthest off my PR. Got off the blocks fast, but went in a little on the left side of the line and then had an iffy first breakout. I pushed off too shallow on the turn, was forced to take 2 kicks less than planned, and had an even worse breakout. It was capped off by having to kick in to the finish. Still, last year my in season time was a 26.8 before dropping to time at zones and nationals. With a taper and better execution, I could easily chop half a second off. And anytime you're under 27, that's pretty darn fast.

50 free, 25.1

This was a solid race. Teen Fort had some friends in the stands (watching their HS coach compete in his first masters meet!) and they video'd the race for her. I had a good start (12 SDKs), breakout and fast turn. The only issue was that my flutter kick completely peetered out the last 10 yards. This could be either due to the legs not being rested or to the fact that I need to work more on flutter kick endurance. This is slightly faster than the 25.2 I posted in mid-season last year, probably due to taking more SDKs.

50 breast, 33.1

Uh, I had to take another look at the clock on this one. 33.1 in my third event of the day with only about 30+ minutes rest after the 50 free?! That's only .3 off the PR of 32.8 that I swam at Indy Nats and my second fastest time ever. I had extremely good breakouts in this race, rare for me in breast. But I had to short stroke both walls. So I was happy to see this time; I expected to swim at least .5+ slower. I may check this event off my list for the year and not worry about it.

Battle of the Drop dead Sprinters:

Fall didn't make it to the meet, but I had a good battle with a 24 year old college swimmer. I ended up with a cumulative time of 52.02. I won the battle with a large 1 second margin in the 25 back. Both fly and free were extremely close.

25 fly, 11.98, 1st

Perfect swim, and the first time I've ever been under 12. Last year, I was 12.30. I took one less stroke than usual, so was somewhat worried I was past the 15.

25 back, 13.08, 1st

Another very good swim, same time as I went last year.

25 breast, 15.20, 1st (.05)

Solid swim, great start, had to glide into the wall a bit. Barely hung on to beat a real breaststroker a few lanes away.

25 free, 11.76, 1st (by .05)

This was a bit of a half hearted effort. I knew I would win at this point and was freaking exhausted. I had a super long glide at the finish. Should definitely have taken another stroke. Just didn't feel like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall very pleased with the results. I was dead after the meet and really feeling it this am. 250 AFAP yards of racing is about my max for 1 day. All my starts were very good this meet, so practicing them at Pitt probably helped. I really should get in a recovery swim today, but that will likely have to wait until tomorrow. Lots of errands to do! It was great to see all my friends in VA. I did lunch with Speedo who says he may hit some Patriot Masters practices this winter.

Submit "Sprint Classic, Oct. 27" to Digg Submit "Sprint Classic, Oct. 27" to del.icio.us Submit "Sprint Classic, Oct. 27" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sprint Classic, Oct. 27" to Google

Comments

Nice swims. Way to represent our age group! I am envisioning the college girl in awe and shock.
    Should definitely have taken another stroke. Just didn't feel like it.
    Very nice swims. Even had you not had all of the stressors of your move, that would've been a great meet, so you gotta be happy with this.

Remind me to never race you in sprint breaststroke -- that's smoking!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Nice swims. Way to represent our age group! I am envisioning the college girl in awe and shock.
    Thanks!

She did seem a little surprised when I beat her in the first 25 fly (after she beat me by .2 in the 50)! She said "it's on!" and then I spanked her in the 25 back.
    Updated October 28th, 2013 at 01:18 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Ha! Most of my finishes were sub-par this meet. Jeff Roddin did ask why I didn't take another stroke. Nuthin left.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very nice swims. Even had you not had all of the stressors of your move, that would've been a great meet, so you gotta be happy with this.

Remind me to never race you in sprint breaststroke -- that's smoking!
    Yep, considering everything, quite happy.

I don't think you have to fear my all pull no kick evilstroke!
    Glad you're back. and congrats on the really solid meet. See you Wednesday
    Who posted this?!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Who posted this?!!!!
    I know, ironic, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Who posted this?!!!!
    Hi! Hi! Hi!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I know, ironic, isn't it?
    Sassy. For the record, I finish races- it's just not pretty. Really nice work this weekend, Leslie!
    For the record, I finish races- it's just not pretty.
    For the record, I finished that race -- it just wasn't pretty. -- Sassy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    For the record, I finished that race -- it just wasn't pretty. -- Sassy
    I see what you did there.
    Awesome swims Fort!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Awesome swims Fort!
    Thanks Steve! Still hoping for better free times in the future, just like you!
    You did awesome, especially with the challenges you have faced over the summer and fall. Congratulations on a great meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You did awesome, especially with the challenges you have faced over the summer and fall. Congratulations on a great meet.
    Thanks Stewart. Yes, challenging it has been and will continue to be. All things considered, pretty happy with those swims.