View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 57 - Thursday

Rate this Entry
This has been a strange week sleep wise. I almost overslept this morning by hitting snooze on my alarm" I don't recall doing it but it put me back 10 mins right out of the gate. I then had a slight delay due to rain and slick roads so arrived a little later than normal. When I finally got on deck I was also in slow motion mode and struggled to get going during the warmup. I finally got going on the main set and overall felt much better than yesterday. One more really long workout tomorrow and we will be through this cycle. I don't know what the plan is for Saturday in terms of working out before the meet and I would not be surprised if I was asked to practice ahead of the meet.

Todays workout was long.

Warm up
8X100 with snorkel on 1.20

Main set
3x1000 on 11.30 descend 1-3 pull with paddles
12x100 swim with fins on 1.02.5

Warm down
300 easy

Total 5300scy

the warmup Felt tough but I gradually descended as I warmed up from 1.15 to 1.07. The first 1000 continued to feel tough and I touched in 11.05. I was worried that the remaining 2x1000s were going to suck, but on the second one I finally started to feel ok and by the end of the last one felt pretty good. On number 2 I went 10.50 and the last one I went 10.40. These we quicker than I went on a similar set before nationals and I was pleased with these especially given how I felt at the beginning. The 100s with fins was interesting and I held 1min throughout.

Submit "Week 57 - Thursday" to Digg Submit "Week 57 - Thursday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 57 - Thursday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 57 - Thursday" to Google

Updated October 31st, 2013 at 09:45 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Good luck this weekend. What are you swimming? Is this a prelims / finals meet?
    I would not be surprised if I was asked to practice ahead of the meet.
    I think you have the toughest Masters coach in the country. Who coaches you, by the way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Good luck this weekend. What are you swimming? Is this a prelims / finals meet?
    Thanks Mark. I am entered in 8 events; 50 free, 100 back, 200 free, 500 free(saturday), 100 free, 200 back, 200IM and 1000 free(Sunday). This one is going to be quite interesting, its a BB/B/C meet and I am entered on NT for every event, so will be in the slowest heats. My only aim is to get A cuts on each event so I can compete in the A meets. Luckily this one is just heats no prelims and finals. My taper meet in Jan will be heats and finals. The most interesting thing will be how I hold up with that number of events in a short meet. My coach did the entries and had 3 more events than I was planning on swimming, but for some reason he wants me to do the IM and back events.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I think you have the toughest Masters coach in the country. Who coaches you, by the way?
    My coach is Tom Applegate. Besides being the Masters coach in Rockwall, TX, Tom is also the head age group coach for RACE. Neil Walker(UT superstar) is our aquatic Director.

Despite the distances and intensity we have been doing recently I really like Tom's coaching style and approach. Tom and I sat down together and planned out the next year around my goals; he asks lots of questions and is very accomodating. He builds my program around my goals and explains the program so I know its not just garbage yardage; there is a purpose, which has helped me a lot. Its interesting that when he gives out workouts he often is managing 5 or 6 different workout groups each with different sets(I dont now how he does it).
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    My coach is Tom Applegate. Besides being the Masters coach in Rockwall, TX, Tom is also the head age group coach for RACE. Neil Walker(UT superstar) is our aquatic Director.

Despite the distances and intensity we have been doing recently I really like Tom's coaching style and approach. Tom and I sat down together and planned out the next year around my goals; he asks lots of questions and is very accomodating. He builds my program around my goals and explains the program so I know its not just garbage yardage; there is a purpose, which has helped me a lot. Its interesting that when he gives out workouts he often is managing 5 or 6 different workout groups each with different sets(I dont now how he does it).
    That is so awesome to have an engaged coach. I used to have such a coach at the pool a mile from my house -- and credit her, Laura Winslow -- with the awesome times I did from 2008 to spring of 2010 -- but a variety of reasons have her not coaching there anymore.

Does Neil ever jump in to workout with you guys? That would be fun.
    Neil does get in from time to time. He swam a couple of workouts with me before Sping Nationals and based on not having been in the water for a really long time he did great(much better than I would do being out so long)