View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, Nov. 1

Rate this Entry
Drylands:

RC/Scap, 15 min (did this last night too)
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
flutter kicks on back on bosu, 3 x 50
captains's chair leg raises, 2 x 15
low row negatives, 75/90 x 3 x 8
good mornings, 45 x 3 x 8
free motion lifts, 50 x 3 x 8
fast leg press jumps, 90 x 3 x 8 (weird machine, you're basically laying on your back)
kettleball swings, 25 x 1 x 15
med ball slams, 30 (forward, twisting, reverse)
box jumps, 10

Swim:

easy continuous 1000 yards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tried not to overdo at the gym, but tweaked my left hamstring a tad.

Got my Swimmer mag today. I wrote an op/ed piece for Both Sides of the Lane Line. Little did I know that the opposing piece was written by my PV buddies Mollie Grover and Jeff Strahota!

Got a pair of Speedo's new laser elite goggles to product test. They look pretty cool, smaller than those largish goggles that Phelps/Lochte were sporting at the Olympics.

One other things I thought was interesting about the Jimby-Rushall conversation is Rushall thought that there was a decided advantage for a masters athlete who had never been out of the sport or taken little time off. As an example, he noted that Jenny Whitely of Aussie is beating Shane Gould (who took 17 years off). I have always felt that was a huge factor for me, having taken 24 years off from the pool. There is no way I could develop the aerobic base of say Karlyn Pipes or Laura Val, both of whom took little time off. That's one reason I focused on sprinting. I guess one good thing that came from time off was being open minded enough to learn a new stroke -- dolphin kick -- and try different training methods.

Happy weekend everyone!

Submit "Friday, Nov. 1" to Digg Submit "Friday, Nov. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Nov. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Nov. 1" to Google

Updated November 1st, 2013 at 04:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I've wondered about the advantage of not taking time off too but I consider the fact that I'm swimming faster now than I ever did a huge psychological advantage. I'm sure had I swum in college (instead of doing quite the opposite), I'd be bummed to be slowing down in my 40s. Guess I'll never know! Ignorance is bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I've wondered about the advantage of not taking time off too but I consider the fact that I'm swimming faster now than I ever did a huge psychological advantage. I'm sure had I swum in college (instead of doing quite the opposite), I'd be bummed to be slowing down in my 40s. Guess I'll never know! Ignorance is bliss.
    The ability to blank out college times is key. I never think about mine (from only 1 year). It doesn't serve any purpose and the people who obsess about them are definitely at a psychological disadvantage.

Still, like me, you have basically focused on sprints, your 200 free being the only non sprint even you've swum. (Which I think is a waste!!!) It would be interesting to see how you stack up against the aerobic machines in mid-D and D events.
    I wrote an op/ed piece for Both Sides of the Lane Line. Little did I know that the opposing piece was written by my PV buddies Mollie Grover and Jeff Strahota!
    I agree with all three of you!