View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Saturday 2nd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx

Rate this Entry
I woke up feeling pretty good this morning. I ran and grabbed chick-fil-a breakfast for everyone and ate breakfast watching the early English Premier League game. Half my family(the black sheep) support Chelsea(it pains me to even write the name) and the other half(the cool side) support Arsenal. It was great to watch Newcastle beat Chelsea while enjoying my breakfast burrito.

My daughter and I headed to the pool 30 minutes early. We went to walk onto the pool deck where I was stopped and asked if I was officiating and when I said no they said no parents were aloud on deck. I explained I was a swimmer and the woman laughed but did eventually let me pass.

We did a pretty crowded warmup as follows:

500swim
4x4x50 IM order swum kick, drill, pull, swim
4x50 build
100 easy

My first swim was not until about half way through the meet which sucked, but finally I got to swim and I actually did not have much rest between my swims.

50 Free - 22.77
100 Back - 58.31
200 Free - 1.50.96
500 Free - 5.07.16

I was pleased with everything except the 500. My splits were all over the place which was very disappointing. I was very pleased with the 50 free and 100 back. I think I would have been at least a second or more faster on the back if I had not jammed my turns. This was as quick as my rested and shaved time from spring nationals, with really crappy turns so there is plenty of room for improvement. The 200 felt good, but I hoped to go under 1.50. My splits were pretty good on the 200 and I felt strong throughout.

Overall I am pleased with the meet so far and got 4 A cuts today which will enable me to go up a level where I will get some strong competition. It was interesting today being in the first heat with NT's. I lapped most swimmers in my heat in the 200, and lapped everyone 2-3 times on the 500 in my heat. I think the kids were quite intimidated by the old dude and I did not hear any negative comments from any parents, in fact quite the opposite with many of the parents on deck congratulating me and thanking me for swimming which was very nice.

Submit "Saturday 2nd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx" to Digg Submit "Saturday 2nd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday 2nd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday 2nd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx" to Google

Updated November 3rd, 2013 at 08:09 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

I'm glad they let you on the deck! Given how much you've been training, the speed you showed on the first 3 events was very impressive. I agree your 500 can be better; doing it at the start of or earlier in the meet and also swimming in a heat where you're not lapping swimmers will certainly help. I'm glad your first USAS experience was good. I almost always get positive comments from parents when I do swim them (though I'm currently banned by my teenaged daughters from swimming meets where they are also swimming )
    I usually have good conversations with parents from all sorts of different teams when I was swimming in USAS meets. Always good comments, and some even cheering for me to beat their own kids, especially in the "old guy not supposed to be swimming events" like the 200 Fly and 400 IM. When will you be swimming those ones? I'm sure your coach will get you in them one day.
    Nice job Stewart! Was very satisfying to watch Chelsea lose. I hate them for the same reason I disliked arsenal about ten years ago: they are a FOTM team. All these people wearing Chelsea gear rooting for them just because they have had recent success. Arsenal certainly is the story of the league this year...5 points clear at the top after it was all doom and gloom THE SKY IS FALLING after they lost their opener. It's hard not to smile and appreciate Wenger's sometimes eccentric sometimes overly conservative approach to coaching.

Sorry that was more a post for a soccer blog lol!
    Stewart those are great end-season times, not to mention that you swam them mid-season and extemely unrested. Think you'll fly at Nats
    Awesome job! 22.7 50 free with all that arduous aerobic training?! Definitely bodes very well for the future.
    Great swims yesterday! Just think what you will go when you are tapered. Good luck today.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I'm glad they let you on the deck! Given how much you've been training, the speed you showed on the first 3 events was very impressive. I agree your 500 can be better; doing it at the start of or earlier in the meet and also swimming in a heat where you're not lapping swimmers will certainly help. I'm glad your first USAS experience was good. I almost always get positive comments from parents when I do swim them (though I'm currently banned by my teenaged daughters from swimming meets where they are also swimming )
    My daughter was against me swimming in her meets at first but she has been the biggest supporter since she saw me swim fast this summer. I think at first she thought she would be embarrassed by her slow old dad.

As you know, we are training very hard right now and to be swimming as quick as I am is very encouraging and i believe a good indicator i will have a great season.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I usually have good conversations with parents from all sorts of different teams when I was swimming in USAS meets. Always good comments, and some even cheering for me to beat their own kids, especially in the "old guy not supposed to be swimming events" like the 200 Fly and 400 IM. When will you be swimming those ones? I'm sure your coach will get you in them one day.
    Funny you should mention those two events. My coach said yesterday that if I don't get my A cuts on all my events he will enter me in those two events in a future BB meet. Luckily I had a good meet and missed having to swim those two events (for the time being)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Nice job Stewart! Was very satisfying to watch Chelsea lose. I hate them for the same reason I disliked arsenal about ten years ago: they are a FOTM team. All these people wearing Chelsea gear rooting for them just because they have had recent success. Arsenal certainly is the story of the league this year...5 points clear at the top after it was all doom and gloom THE SKY IS FALLING after they lost their opener. It's hard not to smile and appreciate Wenger's sometimes eccentric sometimes overly conservative approach to coaching.

Sorry that was more a post for a soccer blog lol!
    No need to apologize about the EPL post. I am almost as crazy about football/soccer as I am about swimming. I went to see my first Arsenal game when I was 7 where Arsenal beat Bolton 1-0 at Highbury. Throughout middle and secondary school I went up to Arsenal every other week and have all sorts of great memories(good, bad and down right scarey). I always love to see Arsenal win(for obvious reasons) and Chelsea to loose. This was a great weekend to be an Arsenal fan on both fronts!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Stewart those are great end-season times, not to mention that you swam them mid-season and extemely unrested. Think you'll fly at Nats
    I was very pleased with the meet on lots of levels especially swimming quick after all our yardage and aerobic cycle we just finished.

I am actually going to skip Nationals next year in favor of Worlds over the summer but the sentiment and appreciate your kind words.

I will follow up with Izabel today to see if she was able to find you a pool in SP.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Awesome job! 22.7 50 free with all that arduous aerobic training?! Definitely bodes very well for the future.
    Sort of a weird meet in the sense that I seem to have some decent speed but my pace endurance is off. Sort of counter to what we have been working on. I think if I can stay healthy I will have a great season and I am excited about the year ahead. This meet was definately a confidence boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Great swims yesterday! Just think what you will go when you are tapered. Good luck today.
    Thanks Nkki. You would have been proud of my 50 fly on my IM!!

Two more cycles before i taper; so I am looking forward to working on some quality sets in the next cycle and then doing a training camp with one big push on base work.

Thanks for all the support.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Thanks Nkki. You would have been proud of my 50 fly on my IM!!

Two more cycles before i taper; so I am looking forward to working on some quality sets in the next cycle and then doing a training camp with one big push on base work.

Thanks for all the support.
    See now you have motivation to swim the 100 fly especially since I'm doing the 800 free next weekend. What was your 50 fly split time? Thanks for always pointing out things in my stroke I don't notice until you say something!
    Sort of a weird meet in the sense that I seem to have some decent speed but my pace endurance is off. Sort of counter to what we have been working on. I think if I can stay healthy I will have a great season and I am excited about the year ahead. This meet was definately a confidence boost.
    It could be that the lifting has helped your 50!

Very nice 200 back today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    See now you have motivation to swim the 100 fly especially since I'm doing the 800 free next weekend. What was your 50 fly split time? Thanks for always pointing out things in my stroke I don't notice until you say something!
    Fly split was 27 flat. The difference between you swimming the 800 and me doing the 100 fly is that you can get world cuts whereas I don't have a hope in hell.Your welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It could be that the lifting has helped your 50!Very nice 200 back today.
    Thanks I was pleased with it and my splits were very consistent.I definately think the weights have helped my overall strength. I plan on upping my focus on my legs over the next 6 months.
    Fly split was 27 flat. The difference between you swimming the 800 and me doing the 100 fly is that you can get world cuts whereas I don't have a hope in hell.Your welcome.
    I think you could manage a 1:16 for the 100 fly qualifier but a deal is a deal! That is a good 50 fly split!
    Funny you should mention those two events. My coach said yesterday that if I don't get my A cuts on all my events he will enter me in those two events in a future BB meet. Luckily I had a good meet and missed having to swim those two events (for the time being)
    I need to talk to your coach.