View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 58 - Thursday

Rate this Entry
I woke with no pain in my lower back today. It's sort of ironic because I have the urologist appointment tomorrow and I now feel back to normal(amazing how quickly pain can come and go). I had the MRI yesterday which was uneventful until I saw the charges. OMG. I guess I will get all the money back according to the imaging center but they don't work my insurance and as such I have to pay the fee and then claim it back. Honestly, I have been very disappointed in this whole episode in terms of quality of care and the corresponding cost. I thought we have the best health care anywhere but now I wonder!!

Today's workout was both mentally and physically very tough. After yesterday's workout my coach told me we were doing a T30 today. We have done a number of T20s but this is the first T30. On Tuesday and Thursday we typically have sparse attendance and this week I knew would be less because there is a meet in Shennandoah, Tx. As it turned out it was myself and one other guy in the pool for most of the workout before some high school students turned up.

Today's workout

Warm up
20x50 with snorkel on 40
200 easy

Main set
T30 with tempo trainer

Warm down
6x100 easy perfect stroke on 1.30

Total 4600scy

I did not feel great but I ended up holding a good solid pace throughout the T30 and ended up going 2800. The life guard counted for us and I by 10mins I went 950,900,950scy. I saw I turned at about 10.45 on the first 1000 but lost it after that. The tempo trainer just about drove me nuts by the end of this swim. I am also not used to swimming with a cap so I got very hot. I was very pleased with the distance. I plan on lifting tonight and focusing on my legs.

Submit "Week 58 - Thursday" to Digg Submit "Week 58 - Thursday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 58 - Thursday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 58 - Thursday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Damn solid. By my calculations that's holding just a hair over a 1:04 pace.
    Thanks. I found out before i swam this that the senior racer group in our club swam the same T30 last week and the fastest guy on the team(who just committed to Texa) went 2850 and my goal was to try to get as close as I could to his distance. I fell short but I gave it a good try. I was especially pleased with the last 10 minute section where I picked up the pace.
    Nice going!!
    I've done both the T30, and 3000 for time in college. For some reason I did better at the 3000 for time vs. the "see how far you can go" in 30 minutes. It's more mental, 'cause in the T30 you can complete 2000 yards and still be done. My fastest 3000 was 30:10, whereas my best T30 was only 2900 yards. We had the big timeclock that's used for meets running on the wall for both, so I was able to watch splits easily along the way which I think helps as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice going!!
    I've done both the T30, and 3000 for time in college. For some reason I did better at the 3000 for time vs. the "see how far you can go" in 30 minutes. It's more mental, 'cause in the T30 you can complete 2000 yards and still be done. My fastest 3000 was 30:10, whereas my best T30 was only 2900 yards. We had the big timeclock that's used for meets running on the wall for both, so I was able to watch splits easily along the way which I think helps as well.
    Thanks. Isn't it funny how you can do two very similar sets yet get a drastically different performance? When I did T20's long course over the summer and recently scy, I too looked at the clock, but I know I syched myself out of swimming faster by not just going for it, and instead trying to hold a specific pace. Today I deliberatly did not look at my pace on the clock, but rather focused on the beeps from the trainer and counting my lengths and only looked at the clock at the first 1000. Luckily I had a counter today so I did not have to worry about my final distance but my counting did line up with his.

We used to do a fair number of T30's in college and each season did several T90's(typically soon after we got back in the pool in the fall; I learnt after my freshman year not to take 3 weeks off before fall training started). I dont recall any of my times but I do recall how bad I felt(especially my freshman year). When my coach told me yesterday that we were doing a T30 my heart sunk. The reality was not as bad as my mind made it out to be last night(quite often the way).
    That's a great swim. It's kind of too bad you just didn't do the timed 3,000 as you could've entered the USMS postal event. I doubt you feel like it, but you have until Nov 15th to swim that, so maybe next Thursday, you could do a T3,000 and then enter!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's a great swim. It's kind of too bad you just didn't do the timed 3,000 as you could've entered the USMS postal event. I doubt you feel like it, but you have until Nov 15th to swim that, so maybe next Thursday, you could do a T3,000 and then enter!
    You are 100% right. If my coach sets it I will do it, but it definately would not be my first choice workout. In hindsight today was a missed opportunity. I did see your 3k and it was very impressive, and I would be lying if I said I did not use it as a motivator this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I've done both the T30, and 3000 for time in college.
    Cue Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days."