Dolphin kick work:
8 x 25 DPK shooter w/fins @ :40-:45
50 EZ
10 x 25 power kick (SDK to 15 m) (4 belly, 4 back, 2 right side), no fins @ :45
50 EZ
4 x 30 AFAP to 15 m off the blocks
50 EZ
4 x 25 burst SDK + cruise @ :20
-- I had though about turning this into a Rushall set, but just can't do more than 4 with a 1:1 work to rest ratio. Too much oxygen deprivation staying UW 12.5
100 EZ

4 x fast broken 100s w/fins done as 4 x 25 @ :30
fly (11s) + 100 EZ
back (11-12s) + 200 EZ
breast (13-14s) + 200 EZ
free (10-11s) + 200 EZ

pause for some drill work
4 x 25 breaststroke kick on back
4 x 25 breast, 1 regular stroke + 1 stroke UW
4 x 25 breast dolphin
100 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
-- 2 free, 3 kick
100 EZ

Total: 3950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ended up taking two days in a row off. I was still pretty dead after just one day off. I think I need to do more recovery workouts. Before the 2 day break, I had done speed/weights/speed/speed/speed. That seems to set me up for exhaustion. Part of the problem is that it would be great to just hop into a nearby pool for a recovery workout, but there aren't any really. I dropped in at the Upper St. Claire Rec Center awhile ago and there was a $15 drop in fee, which is really steep. Part of is probably poor scheduling on my part. I'm still getting used to life in Pittsburgh -- the land of not one single decent indoor pool open to the public. I did get in 45 minutes of stretching & RC/scap work yesterday. Having not stretched at all in months, I had lost some flexibility. Boo.

On a happier note, I booked my hotel and flight for NE SCM Champs. Not so sure about my 50 free focus. My left shoulder is better, but still tender, and too much straight arm freestyle is contra-indicated. Here is the order of events: https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1997&smid=4983. I am completely baffled as to what to enter as is somewhat typical.

Sat: 50 fly, 100 back, 50 breast and 100 free.
-- The first three events are back to back with only a relay before the 50 breast, so 100 back may get cut. I wish I hadn't gotten DQ'd in the 50 evil at the Albatross meet (1 hand touch on turn) or I'd do the 100 back for sure. I could also skip the 50 fly since I already have a good time and start with 100 back but my fly feels really good right now. And I guess if I really wanted to swim 50 free when most rested, I'd enter the 200 free, which is the first non-distance event of the day but that sounds unappealing.

Sun: 200 back, 100 IM, 50 free, 100 fly, 50 back.
-- I might do a 50 split request in the 200 back rather than leaving it to the last event of the meet. On the other hand, that would make 50 free the 3rd event, which is not desirable. And I do already have a good time in the 50 back from March (30.6), so could also just stand on that time. (I certainly wouldn't bother with the 50 back if I did swim the 100 fly). Alternatively, I could do a split request for the 100 back and forget the 100 IM. Decisions, decisions ...

Good article on what methods improve recovery time: http://www.strengthandconditioningre...overy-methods/. If only we all had access to cryogenic or hyperbaric oxygen chambers ...

This is odd. Why does the USMS event rankings for SCY not recognize that we are in the 2013-14 season?

Submit "Thursday, Nov. 7" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Nov. 7" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Nov. 7" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Nov. 7" to Google

Updated November 7th, 2013 at 05:41 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

You're missing the best start to the meet: 7 Women 200 M Breast
    What better way to start the meet? And you'd still get to sleep in, since the men's 400 free is prior

I'm considering the 800 free Friday night, but then the 400 free is first the next morning... Talk about a rough start for the meet! Then the 200 breast shortly after.... Heck, those 3 events would be enough to call it a meet
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    You're missing the best start to the meet: 7 Women 200 M Breast
    What better way to start the meet? And you'd still get to sleep in, since the men's 400 free is prior

I'm considering the 800 free Friday night, but then the 400 free is first the next morning... Talk about a rough start for the meet! Then the 200 breast shortly after.... Heck, those 3 events would be enough to call it a meet
    I've sworn never to do a split request in the 200 breast ever again! It's way too hard to finish. As for swimming it straight, well that is not even an option.

Yep, those are three tough events to start the meet with. But you D types can do it!