View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sunday, Nov. 10

Rate this Entry
by , November 10th, 2013 at 03:43 PM (784 Views)
Swim/SCY @ Sewickley Y

Warm up:

600 various
100 scull
4 x 50 fly drills

Main sets:

Jim and John were doing steady state 1 x 400, 2 x 200, 4 x 100, 8 x 50, 16 x 25, mostly on a 1:30 base. I followed along but modified as follows:

6 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ) @ 1:05
2 x 200 flutter kick w/board & fins, alternating 25 up tempo + 25 EZ @ 3:00
4 x 100 DPS free @ 1:30
6 x 50 flutter kick w/board & fins @ 200 pace
50 EZ
16 x 25 @ :40
odds = fast fly w/fins
evens = EZ
100 EZ

8 x 75, done as 50 EZ @ 1:15 (John and Jim did 75s) + 25 fast @ :45
100 EZ

Total: 3550

Hottub & steam room -- best feature of the Sewickley Y!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did enter my first mud hole Y circuit meet next Sunday afternoon. I wasn't wild about the schedule for that day, so just entered 25 back, 100 breast and 25 fly. Hopefully, I won't crash on my backstroke start.

Submit "Sunday, Nov. 10" to Digg Submit "Sunday, Nov. 10" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, Nov. 10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, Nov. 10" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

mudhole meets(chuckle)..that's as good as it gets around here..not that its bad..
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    mudhole meets(chuckle)..that's as good as it gets around here..not that its bad..
    That's what Jim calls them. I think it's an apt description for racing in sh*tty pools where times don't count.
    The original Amish Mudhole was this pond deep in Western PA Amish company where I went to get re-certified in scuba diving a few years back. It is an odd location--a small looking pond on the surface, but which sinks to a bit over 40 feet deep in the middle. The local scuba community has various gizmos set up at the bottom so you can practice navigating around, buddy breathing, etc. The water isn't pure chocolate, but the visibility is not terribly great either--maybe 10 to 15 feet, if memory serves. I did my test in March or April, just recall it being bitterly cold, possibly a few random snowflakes. And when I surfaced after successfully passing the sundry tests required to get my card, there were these Amish guys with their Clydesdales and odd hats plowing the adjacent field. It left an impression on me, and then during our various league meets, many of which are held in areas not terribly far away from that Amish mudhole, and in pools that are not terribly clearer than the waters therein, albeit much shallower than the actual real life Amish mudhole, anyways, back to my point, the similarity somehow sparked the right sequence of synapses in my brain, and I dubbed our local AMYMSA meets the "Amish Mudhole Circuit." Interesting codicil: a very nice family doctor, of Germanic heritage, who toils away in Amish country, no doubt treating trauma caused by forcible beard trimmings and the like, told me that some Amish people have actually learned of my phrase, Amish Mudhole Meets. And they don't like it.