View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Meet Report!

Rate this Entry
by , November 14th, 2013 at 11:01 AM (387 Views)
Here is how I did at the local USA A meet:

50 free 25.3
100 fly 1:02.2
100 back 1:03.4

I was disappointed with the 50 free as I thought I could rather easily go under 25 and get a current season Sectionals cut (24.99). I have a current bonus cut (25.79) but on principle I like to get a current season time.

The fly was awesome! I haven't swum the 100 fly since 01/2011, so it's been a long time, and I had to relearn fly after a long break post-gall bladder surgery. They say you recover in about 6-8 weeks, but my guts felt like spilling out of my belly button for months afterwards, which is why I swam so much backstroke last year.

The back was just ok. I think I have much more in me, but my timing was off and so I was resigned to gutting it out at the end of the race.

I don't know my splits yet, but that will indicate the "quality" of the swims.

I don't think I had any mental obstacles, as I felt ready to go, even with various "handicaps". This always happens, so it didn't seem like a big deal to overcome all the Friday hurdles for the 50 free. But maybe it did affect me physically? I had a normal work week. I did normal drop off/pick up at school. I went to work. I ran errands. I helped Helen with her homework. I sat in Friday night traffic on the way to the meet. I swam in shallow pool, heat 1 lane 1 at 7:45pm for the 50 free. So maybe all those things did make me more tired than usual. Anyway, i'm looking forward to swimming the next USA meet in December!

Next up: DAMM SCM Masters meet! This one is going to be to just gut it out at 8AM in the morning for some USMS top ten times. I entered the 50 fly and 50 free, and they are back to back events. Also the 100 free just in case I want to get a split request, but that's back to back with the 50 back. And I threw in an entry for the 100 IM, since it's one price entry so you might as well enter 5 and see if you want to show up for that 100 IM at the end.

Here are my goal times:
30.99 or better 50 fly
27.99 or better 50 free
27.99 or better 2nd chance 50 free
32.99 or better 50 back
1:14 or better 100 IM

I'll go about 95% on the fly and hope that's enough to get a top ten time. But I need to turn around in about 7 minutes for the 50 free and go sub 28 if possible. Then take a mini nap, hang out in the ladies room, take a hot shower, then another mini nap in 35 minutes to get up for the last 100free/50back/100 IM. I estimate i'll have to do all those 3 in about 25 minutes total.

Wish me luck!!!!

Submit "Meet Report!" to Digg Submit "Meet Report!" to del.icio.us Submit "Meet Report!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meet Report!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I plan to attend a SCM meet early Dec with close to the same goals:
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi View Post
    27.99 or better 50 free
    27.99 or better 2nd chance 50 free
    The 50 fr's however will be my entire meet focus, the remaining is just filler for experience. The lineup will be close to yours (without the 50 fly) but I might split my 50 in a 200 fr instead of the 100.

I have done 4 split request's in my swimming career and 3 of them resulted in a faster time, except the most recent attempt, where my hands unlocked and dug in at entry.

Good luck at the SCM meet! I'll try to swim as fast as you do in 50fr
    Very nice 100 fly!

Jimby told me that Rushall told him that there is virtually no difference time wise between 95% and 100%, so I'd definitely stick with 95%. I hope you get a 27.9! I'd like to that time at my SCM meet. I started off with a 25.1 in the 50 free this year, which I was pretty happy with, though I breathed at the wrong places (total mental lapse).
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I plan to attend a SCM meet early Dec with close to the same goals:

The 50 fr's however will be my entire meet focus, the remaining is just filler for experience. The lineup will be close to yours (without the 50 fly) but I might split my 50 in a 200 fr instead of the 100.

I have done 4 split request's in my swimming career and 3 of them resulted in a faster time, except the most recent attempt, where my hands unlocked and dug in at entry.

Good luck at the SCM meet! I'll try to swim as fast as you do in 50fr
    You can do it! And very smart to take every opportunity to better your times! I will be swimming quite a bit in a very short amount of time and way, way too early for me. But, this meet has been around forever, so I know what to expect, and plan ahead to get as ready for it as possible!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Very nice 100 fly!

Jimby told me that Rushall told him that there is virtually no difference time wise between 95% and 100%, so I'd definitely stick with 95%. I hope you get a 27.9! I'd like to that time at my SCM meet. I started off with a 25.1 in the 50 free this year, which I was pretty happy with, though I breathed at the wrong places (total mental lapse).
    Thank you! I was quite pleased and no sharp stabbing pains, no guts spilling out sensation that's 90% right there! I'm going to have to stay just one small stairstep behind full all out sprints because the events are so close. But, I don't want to underestimate either! Thanks so much for the 95% rule. If someone says less is about as good as more, then that's all I need to know!!! tee hee hee!!!