View RSS Feed

After a long rest

USMS Baylor SCM Meet

Rate this Entry
I woke up feeling ok, not bad but not great either. Yesterday's workout was hard and I was stiff today. The Baylor meet is about 30 mins from my house with no traffic and I had a clear and quick journey to the pool. The pool is a nice facility and has the best locker rooms of any swimming facility I have ever swum at; it reminds me of a country club in quality and there is a seating area with big tvs, both wet and dry areas and tons of showers, and classy wooden lockers. The locker room also had a huge hot tub and steam room.

The meet was run very quickly, with all events being swum mixed. The challenge entering this meet for me was I did not have any SCM times as a master and also swam the 50 back and 100 IM which I don't normally swim. My two team mates who entered the meet with me swum very well. Both Nikki and Bill were chasing world qualifying times and both got a qualifier and got very close in a number of others races. Nikki in particular swam an awesome 400 free and Bill swam a great 100 free. I swum ok today but not as quick as I had hoped which I think is a result of where we are in our training program right now. As usual I had a lot of fun and it was great meeting Chowmi in person and seeing a number of the DAMM team and coaches I swam with at SMU over the summer.

Today's swims

400 free - 4.24.14
200 free - 2.04.38
50 back - 30.60
100 IM - 1.04.24

It's hard for me to look at any of these swims as anything other than good, but I know I can go a lot quicker and I am really looking forward to my taper after Christmas.

Submit "USMS Baylor SCM Meet" to Digg Submit "USMS Baylor SCM Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "USMS Baylor SCM Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "USMS Baylor SCM Meet" to Google

Updated November 16th, 2013 at 07:13 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

You had a good meet! Don't be so hard on yourself. What did Bill do on the 100 free? I wanted to stay and watch but I had a lot of errands to run today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    You had a good meet! Don't be so hard on yourself.
    I totally agree. The 400 time converts to about a 5:01 in a 500 and, while I can't recall your time from the USAS meet, I recall it was slower than that. You're in the midst of some very hard and long training that is not designed to produce fast swims right now ... and, yet, those are fast swims.
    Yeah, I think these times look very, very solid. How did you feel in the water? You are going to swim very fast very soon!
    Great job. Hard to go much faster with all that capacity training you've been doing. I still wonder if masters need more rest and more quality than you and Kirk get with the kids.

What is your target taper meet?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    What did Bill do on the 100 free? I wanted to stay and watch but I had a lot of errands to run today.
    I don't know his exact time but I believe he was 3 seconds inside the qualifying time. No worries about hanging around. You had an awesome swim in the 400. Congratulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I totally agree. The 400 time converts to about a 5:01 in a 500 and, while I can't recall your time from the USAS meet, I recall it was slower than that. You're in the midst of some very hard and long training that is not designed to produce fast swims right now ... and, yet, those are fast swims.
    It was definately faster than my USAS 500 the other week but still not what I hoped for. That said I know that's where we are in our program and in a couple months I will be swimming much faster. Thanks for the support.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yeah, I think these times look very, very solid. How did you feel in the water? You are going to swim very fast very soon!
    Thanks Kirk. I felt very stiff and sluggish in the pool on both the 400 and the 200. My splits were not quick but they were at least consistent. The back and IM felt much better. I actually thought after the 400 that I probably didn't do enough of a warmup which maybe partof my sluggish feeling. The 200 and 100 main set from yesterday did not help either.
    Excellent swims today! Those are very fast times, and difficult to mix distances and strokes as you did. Now you have a starting point with SCM times! Great to meet you today! I will see you in 3 weeks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great job. Hard to go much faster with all that capacity training you've been doing. I still wonder if masters need more rest and more quality than you and Kirk get with the kids.What is your target taper meet?
    Thanks. Yes it is hard to go fast with the training but the goal right now is to swim fast when i am tired. I always used to taper really well and suspect this was a direct result of the distance training methods I used. My current coaches methods are different from my college coach in that we focus on different things every 3 weeks which I like a lot. We are mixing in more quality but it tends to be aimed at the 200,500 and 1000.My next taper meet is the great southwest open on 17th Jan. After that I will do a drop taper in April and then a full taper for Worlds in August.Despite now competing in some USAS meets, unlike Kirk(who I am jealous of) I don't train with the kids. Unfortunately our kids train after school and I can't do that because of my job. My coach is the age group coach and the masters coach and from time to time I do swim with the kids if I have a day off.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Excellent swims today! Those are very fast times, and difficult to mix distances and strokes as you did. Now you have a starting point with SCM times! Great to meet you today! I will see you in 3 weeks!!!
    Thanks it was fun and it was great to meet you. You did great and it was a real honor swimming with you. Your second 50 free looked awesome and I thought for sure you were going under 28. I will definately see you at the COR classic. All the best.
    Not too shabby.
    those are some stellar SCM times to start out as a Masters swimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    those are some stellar SCM times to start out as a Masters swimmer.
    thanks guys.
    Stewart, those are great in-season times, and don't forget there are FOUR of them in a short period of time. I don't know about you, but my limit is TWO events a day. I can sometimes squeeze in 3 if it's short and I don't care about it. Great swims
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Stewart, those are great in-season times, and don't forget there are FOUR of them in a short period of time. I don't know about you, but my limit is TWO events a day. I can sometimes squeeze in 3 if it's short and I don't care about it. Great swims
    Thanks. I was not disappointed, I just thought(and hoped) I would swim faster. I usually hold up pretty well with lots of events in a short space of time and suspect it has a lot to do with the yardage and intensity we do in training.