View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Saturday, November 16, 2013 Trifecta Meet Results

Rate this Entry
I knew this was going to be a rough and tiring meet for me for many reasons. I had worked the previous 23 days in a row, with about 1/4 of those days being 12 hour days as well. Friday prior to the meet was one of those 12s, but luckily it started early and was done at 11:00pm.
Got to bed maybe around 1:00am, and the alarm clock at 7:00am was wayyyyy too early for me. Got the kids rounded up, made some PB&Js, somehow was able to get my wife to come along too, and got rolling down the road for the 3 1/2 hour trip to Moscow, ID. We saw our first snow of the year, right around Pullman and Moscow where the elevation is 2500+
2nd hard part of the day was my event schedule, which is nothing new, but in combo with my work, and "lack of training", I knew it would be tough. Yeah, I swim 5 or so times a week, but the minimal yardage and stuff I knew wasn't enough to be able to power through all the events like what is ideal. I had my game plan set though, and was focused mostly on the 200 Fly, and to have fun with the other ones.

I was in the 3rd heat of the 1650 (3 heats is rare!!), with one of them being 40 minutes, and the other one about 30 minutes. I didn't bother warming up in the general warmup prior to the race. I got in about 100 yards in the warmdown area, which was a nice 86+ degrees...more of a hot tub. Mainly to get my suit tied tight, and give my shoulders a little rotation before the race actually started. The racing pool was a great 79/80 degrees though.

I don't have actual splits yet, hopefully they'll arrive on email soon so I can begin processing the results. The meet ran from 1:00-who knows what time. I left at 6:30pm, and they still had 100 Breast, 200 Back, 50 Free, and 500 Frees to go (at least another 50-60 minutes). They had lots of breaks, and other issues that seemed to drag on. Plus we have quite a few senior swimmers (81, 85, 91, 92) that take longer than me to finish their races, so the timeline was a bit stretched out. Even with me leaving out of town by 7:00, I didn't get home till 10:30pm, which I was wide awake for giving my normal working hours at my job.

1650 Free - 18:56.xx
My idea on this was to start out really easy and treat the event like a warmup. For the first 300 or so I did this, and there was a "new to our area" masters swimmer right next to me, a guy in his early 40s. He was hugged right up to the laneline, drafting me hard, so I wanted to see if he was ready to go. On the 4th 100 I accelerated a bit and he tried to stick with me, doing ok. On the 5th 100, I came off the wall with a couple dolphins and kicked in the afterburners getting myself up to "race pace". Not exactly my Indy Nationals race pace, but my pace for today...enough that I knew I could handle. I was able to maintain pretty well, though I know I felt a little lull in the swim around 1100-1200 or so. I checked the clock a few times though the swim, and knew I was going to be pretty close to the 19:00 mark based on my quick math in my head, so I picked it up in the last 300 to be sure I'd be under. Good thing, because it was closer than I thought. This was a really good swim...only 1 minute, 10 seconds slower than my swim at Indy last spring.
My splits from looking at the clock were roughly 5:35/5:40 at the 500, and 11:20/11:25 at the 1000. There was a small running clock on the opposite wall of the large timeclock that matches the time, so it was nice to see after I came off the turns.

50 Free leadoff in the 200 Free Relay - 24.56
This happened right after a 10 minute warmup break, which doing anything that close to a 1650 is just tough. I led off next to the team from Central Washington University...got beat of course (24.0) because any kid fresh out of high school can still do a 50. Central Washington lost their college swim team a while ago, and they started a masters club a few years back to use as a team. It's nice to see year to year what kind of new talent they bring to the races.

400 IM - 5:08.73 (entirely cooldown pace)
This literally was right after the relay, and I was in no mood to try to go fast. I got through the fly easily, probably 1:03ish, and then shut it down from there, cruising the next 300. Felt much better afterward. Had I tried to race this, I would've died a horrible death somewhere in the middle.

100 Fly - 58.32
Of all my races, this was going to be my real challenge with others. I was seeded 2nd to an 18 year old college kid (57.1 to 58.0 entry times). We started off fine, somehow I jammed my middle finger on the 25 turn, it still hurts today, and also the arch of my left foot cramped as I pushed off the 25 turn. I just tried to power on, and the cramp sort of went away. I was gaining on the boy (or thought I was) on the 3rd length, but couldn't pull it out on the final length. I don't like to get beat, but this one I couldn't help too much.
Video

200 Fly - 2:11.16
splits from timing it off the video were 28.0, 1:01.1 (33.1), 1:36.0 (34.9), 2:11.1 (35.1)
I really wanted to have a good showing in this one. Training well or not, tired or not, I was going to give it all I had on this race. I guess I'll be a 200 Flyer this year. It's easier to train for than the 1650 or 400 IM...and is easier mentally than the 200 Free. I'm a little weird, huh?
Video

50 Back on 200 Medley Relay leadoff: 30.9
I just worked the SDKs off the walls and stretched out the swim. I had the 50 Fly coming up right afterward...and like any sprinter, I didn't want to wear myself out.
It was nice having 3 other guys from my workout group there so we could do a couple relays. in the video is myself, Kurt (60), then Jack (81), and Rick (60). Many of you ask why I did back instead of fly? Jack wanted to do the fly rather than the back. His choice...not mine. Respect your elders.
Video

50 Fly - 26.25
This was just all out speed. SDKed about halfway down the pool, 1 breath. Had a bit of a glide in finding the wall at the turn, but came off quick with good underwaters kicks. 2 breaths back and hit the finish strong. Fastest I've been in a while, and the first 50 I've done outside of Wenatchee in a while. I like to get my money's worth on away trips for meets.
Video

Well, these events concluded the "Combo Trifecta" - combo of the Brute Squad Tri, and the Butterfly Tri. They gave out award to those who completed the 3 distances of any stroke, or the brute squad, or the combo that about 8-10 people did.

Submit "Saturday, November 16, 2013 Trifecta Meet Results" to Digg Submit "Saturday, November 16, 2013 Trifecta Meet Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday, November 16, 2013 Trifecta Meet Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday, November 16, 2013 Trifecta Meet Results" to Google

Comments

Great job man!

Especially after working a straight 23 d which I can understand. I do a month like that once a year and know the drag it can place on swimming, moreover life at home.

Cool videos - nice launch off the block!
    Nice meet. That 1650,400IM,200Fly is one tough set of swims, let alone all those sprints mixed in for fun. Driving that long to and from a meet also adds to the challenge. You are one tough guy!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Great job man!

Especially after working a straight 23 d which I can understand. I do a month like that once a year and know the drag it can place on swimming, moreover life at home.

Cool videos - nice launch off the block!
    Being the low guy on the totem pole at work, I get stuck with a lot of the dirty work...like covering the other guys' days off. It also happened that both production lines were running at the same times as my "regular" days off, so I just had to suck it up and earn the OT $$$$$, which I'm not complaining about either. I'm still waiting for my true day off, where I can do NOTHING but sit at home...and probably just do lap swim.

Thanks...starts and turns are one of my better parts...especially for a d-guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Nice meet. That 1650,400IM,200Fly is one tough set of swims, let alone all those sprints mixed in for fun. Driving that long to and from a meet also adds to the challenge.
    Thanks Stewart! It was a fun meet, and I'm glad I was able to make it. It's been since August since I last competed, which is actually a long time in my book.

You are one tough guy!!
    Someone has to be that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Nice meet. That 1650,400IM,200Fly is one tough set of swims, let alone all those sprints mixed in for fun. Driving that long to and from a meet also adds to the challenge. You are one tough guy!!!
    He is one tough guy. I wish I had his mental toughness! Great job James, as per usual.
    Nicely done, James. Those fly swims are not too shabby at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    He is one tough guy. I wish I had his mental toughness! Great job James, as per usual.
    I do what I have to. Thanks Leslie.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nicely done, James. Those fly swims are not too shabby at all.
    Thanks Kirk! I think fly is my go-to stroke, even when I'm not feeling my greatest. Somehow I'm able to dig down into my lifetime reserves and pull something out.