View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Inaugural Mudhole Y Meet, Nov. 17

Rate this Entry
I ventured out to the Greensburg Y in Greensburg PA for my first ever Y league meet. Four of my Sewickley teammates were there (see below) and I met lots of other Y meet swimmers. Great fun had by all. And what a food and drink spread! Here's how it went:

25 back, 12.38

I was lucky I got to swim this event. My entry went missing. I was scheduled to swim in heat 7 (the slowest heat) with a NT. But I was in heat 1 of the very next event. My teammate Ben Mayhew graciously switched spots with me so that I could swim in heat 1 (they swim fastest to slowest here), which is where I had seeded myself anyway. I had a little gridge going with Coach Bill. (Jim video'd) But I handily beat all the boys in this race! I went a 13.0 in the Sprint Classic, so this time was really flying. I had to triple check to make sure it was correct. Perfect breakout and perfect finish (see photo below). I thought I might be past the 15, but I took the same number of strokes as usual. 5+ minutes rest until ...

100 breast #1, slip & fall; 100 breast #2, 1:15.2

I knew the plastic blocks were slippery from warm up, but I took a really ignoble spill here. I pushed off, slipped and landed sideways curled up in the water. That has never happened to me before! So I will now be forever wary of plastic blocks. I decided to put my shammy towel on the blocks for the rest of my races. I had been in heat 1, but they slipped me into heat 4 -- a benefit of Y meets that probably wouldn't happen at a USMS meet. Had to swim by myself though. I was still discombobulated from the spill (hip hurt) and can't say I gave it 100%. But given that I did not rest at all for this meet, this is a very solid time for me. I went a 1:15.0 on a few days rest last year. Even though I wasn't really pushing it, my legs were hurting the last length. Pic below shows my head needs to be further down. I wish this time counted for USMS, but c'est la vie.

50 breast, 34.0

Didn't have much rest after the 100 breast, but gave it a go. I was doing fine, but then really tightened up the last 10 yards and had a major glide into the finish. As a non-breaststroker, I never really know when to glide vs. short stroke. This is much slower than I went at the Sprint Classic (33.1) , but that's how it goes. Technical errors and the pool was obviously much worse too. Few heats of rest and then ...

25 fly, 12.3

This was decent, though .3 slower than the Sprint Classic (where I had a perfect race). Had a bad breakout again -- too deep and it was slow. Wish I could fix this. Finished second. But prevailed in my gridge race against my other teammate John (who is really a 200 flyer).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All in all a fun experience and what sprinter couldn't help but be psyched by the 25s! I wish there had been a place to warm down; hit the showers instead. I did set 4 Y records. I may swim in the Y meet at the Sewickley Y on Dec. 1. Tuckered out now! I need to conjure up some ideas for the HIT forum.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1471769_763685306982117_1920878894_n.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	8107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1426278_763686096982038_2079636132_n.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	8108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1234943_763683163648998_2124709079_n.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	8106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1466253_763684620315519_272369562_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	8109  

Submit "Inaugural Mudhole Y Meet, Nov. 17" to Digg Submit "Inaugural Mudhole Y Meet, Nov. 17" to del.icio.us Submit "Inaugural Mudhole Y Meet, Nov. 17" to StumbleUpon Submit "Inaugural Mudhole Y Meet, Nov. 17" to Google

Updated November 17th, 2013 at 06:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great meet and it sounds like you had a lot of fun. Love the pictures! That 25 back is very quick. Nice job.
    Blocks are so much scarier now than when I was young and stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Great meet and it sounds like you had a lot of fun. Love the pictures! That 25 back is very quick. Nice job.
    Thanks! Yes, by far my fastest 25 back ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Blocks are so much scarier now than when I was young and stupid.
    Yes, I thought so initially when I started masters. But this block was plastic and wet -- a dangerous combo. I guess I should have at least dried it off.
    sounds like a great meet, and certainly sounds like you had fun! glad that they were able to slide you into other heats, that's always nice. while that may be tough to do at bigger meets, I know at our smaller team meets, Paul/Laura have made things happen, especially for our team
    Nice job! It's good that you're finally enjoying your time in "the middle of nowhere". You've just been used to swimming in top-notch places for so long that your body expects that. For me, as long as the pool has water in it, it's good to go!
    Those meets go by fast as I recall. That looks like one of the more decent pools in the circuit though. Nice swims. I watched your 25 back on Facebook. Can't believe how you seem to accelerate under water.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    sounds like a great meet, and certainly sounds like you had fun! glad that they were able to slide you into other heats, that's always nice. while that may be tough to do at bigger meets, I know at our smaller team meets, Paul/Laura have made things happen, especially for our team
    Well, Laura and Paul are probably among the best masters coaches/meet directors in the country!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job! It's good that you're finally enjoying your time in "the middle of nowhere". You've just been used to swimming in top-notch places for so long that your body expects that. For me, as long as the pool has water in it, it's good to go!
    Honestly, I never worked out in top notch places. I mostly trained in public rec centers that happened to have a few deep lanes. If SDK is your best stroke, you can't train and compete only in shallow pools. (I have crashed.) The main reason I did breaststroke this meet is that I didn't want to do flip turns in 3 feet of water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Those meets go by fast as I recall. That looks like one of the more decent pools in the circuit though. Nice swims. I watched your 25 back on Facebook. Can't believe how you seem to accelerate under water.
    Yes, they go by very fast! That was a good swim for me. Even though I tried not to go as deep on the start, it did look like I was pretty close to bottom where the pool floor sharply angled up. I may do a couple more meet, but I won't be around for the Y champ meet anyway; same weekend as Colonies Zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The main reason I did breaststroke this meet is that I didn't want to do flip turns in 3 feet of water.
    So I guess my Y pool is great then. I do flip turns in 3 1/2 feet of water at one end, and 4 1/2 feet at the other end. It's 5 feet in the middle...so watch out!
    So I guess my Y pool is great then. I do flip turns in 3 1/2 feet of water at one end, and 4 1/2 feet at the other end. It's 5 feet in the middle...so watch out!
    I would get depressed swimming in a pool like that every day. I couldn't work on my SDKs. But more power to you!!
    I would get depressed swimming in a pool like that every day. I couldn't work on my SDKs. But more power to you!!
    I agree with you. After swimming at Kino for ~3-4 years now, I hate when it closes for annual maintenance and we have to swim elsewhere. I tolerate my gym pool simply because of cost/convenience. Heck, just 2-3 days of swimming at my gym and I do get depressed and seek out something else.

I've definitely become a pool snob
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I agree with you. After swimming at Kino for ~3-4 years now, I hate when it closes for annual maintenance and we have to swim elsewhere. I tolerate my gym pool simply because of cost/convenience. Heck, just 2-3 days of swimming at my gym and I do get depressed and seek out something else.

I've definitely become a pool snob
    I don't really think it's pool snobbery! I think it's fairly normal for a competitive swimmer to feel that way. Who wants to swim in a crap pool?
    I don't really think it's pool snobbery! I think it's fairly normal for a competitive swimmer to feel that way. Who wants to swim in a crap pool?
    I feel better when the pool filters are actually functioning. Less crappy that way.
    I feel better when the pool filters are actually functioning. Less crappy that way.
    That's just creepy.