View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Nov. 9

Rate this Entry
by , November 19th, 2013 at 03:57 PM (372 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:

600 various
3 x 50 scull
6 x 50 fly drills
50 EZ
4 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
50 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
-- 4 fast hands, 4 SDK
100 EZ

8 x 30 SDK from the blocks, cruise back
-- worked on 100 pace SDKs, gliding a bit after the dive
100 EZ

6 x 25 fly w/fins @ :35
-- wanted to do 10, Rushall style, but wasn't happening
100 EZ

5 x
4 x 25 @ :30 + 50 EZ @ 2:00
1st 3 25s = UW 15 m
4th 25 = 100 pace

100 EZ

4 x w/fins
1 x 25 @ 100 pace
:15 rest
1 x 25 shooter
1 x 50 EZ @ 2:00
-- this was a Tall Pall set he recently posted. not easy

100 EZ

Total: 3500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laid off the AFAP work today, trying to give my body a little break, and focused on 100 pace with some breath control. I have a massage tomorrow, so hopefully my body will be ready to go on Thursday with about 10+ more hard training days to go before I taper for NE Champs. I'm going to do the same taper I did before Indy last year, which was shorter than usual because I knocked lifting off early. Despite almost no lifting for months, my upper body seems just as stacked and tank-like as usual.

I've been having fin issues lately. I've used Water Gear fins for years. But when finally ripped and I tried to replace them, my new ones didn't fit. One size is too big and the next size down seems too tight. I've been using the tight ones and wondering if maybe that was contributing to some cramping. I ordered a pair of Sprint long blade fins and they look just perfect. Going to try them out tomorrow.

Interesting article of passive vs active rest for sprinting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15778899. Though who goes 60% during active recovery? Not me.

Submit "Tuesday, Nov. 9" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Nov. 9" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Nov. 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Nov. 9" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I find it interesting that the so called middle-d guy swims less time and distance than the sprinter girl. Yes, it does have an effect on my overall endurance in the long races as I found out last weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I find it interesting that the so called middle-d guy swims less time and distance than the sprinter girl. Yes, it does have an effect on my overall endurance in the long races as I found out last weekend.
    Ha! You're probably doing way more straight swimming/short rest than me though. I was in the water for 1:45 today but mostly did 25s.

And sprinters have to be in the water just as often as mid-D folk. We have stuff to work on!
    And sprinters have to be in the water just as often as mid-D folk. We have stuff to work on!
    Yea, I don't get the people who say, "I race the sprint events because I don't have time to train for longer stuff." I'm not a sprinter by choice or genetics, but when I do speed work, my workouts take longer to complete, not less time.

James is a true animal. In addition, while his age-grouper team-mates and their parents at USAS meets may refer to him as an "old guy", compared to us he still has a lot of youth, which I am sure helps him survive the brutal stuff even when he takes his training down a notch. I really like his, "I don't care what day it is, let's race!" attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Yea, I don't get the people who say, "I race the sprint events because I don't have time to train for longer stuff." I'm not a sprinter by choice or genetics, but when I do speed work, my workouts take longer to complete, not less time.

James is a true animal. In addition, while his age-grouper team-mates and their parents at USAS meets may refer to him as an "old guy", compared to us he still has a lot of youth, which I am sure helps him survive the brutal stuff even when he takes his training down a notch. I really like his, "I don't care what day it is, let's race!" attitude.
    Exactly. If you don't train or train properly, you may compete in sprints but you likely won't be very good. Sprints are highly technical and take special training.

Yes, youth makes up for many things. I laughed when, on the elite thread, I saw Patrick saying retired people can train "full time." I can barely do 1 workout a day at 52. By retirement age, I'll have less energy and be more injury prone. I guess you have more time to do rehab/prehab, stretching and the like.

James attitude is rare and born of his unique personality. I wish I had it, but I just don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    James' attitude is rare and born of his unique personality. I wish I had it, but I just don't.

At my meet last weekend, I was the only one who was eagerly awaiting the 200 Fly while we sat in the 86 degree bathwater cooldown tank.
    It somewhat reminded me of the ready room at NAIA Nationals years ago before the 1650. Someone asked "does anyone even like this event??" Everyone said they hated it. I just kept quiet.

At my meet last weekend, I was the only one who was eagerly awaiting the 200 Fly while we sat in the 86 degree bathwater cooldown tank.
    It somewhat reminded me of the ready room at NAIA Nationals years ago before the 1650. Someone asked "does anyone even like this event??" Everyone said they hated it. I just kept quiet.
    I hope your kids inherit your eagerness and tenacity!

I've never swum the 1650. Ever.
    I've never swum the 1650. Ever.
    You should enter it for pure shock value alone!

It's good for a split request 50 Free. Then when you set the national record...you HAVE to finish it.
    You should enter it for pure shock value alone!

It's good for a split request 50 Free. Then when you set the national record...you HAVE to finish it.
    One of the only USMS meets in Pittsburgh is the Carnegie Mellon 1650 meet. That's the only event. I contemplated entering with a 50 or 100 split request. Evil laugh. No other chance to swim sprints here! (But I'll likely be coaching it.)
    I laughed when, on the elite thread, I saw Patrick saying retired people can train "full time." I can barely do 1 workout a day at 52. By retirement age, I'll have less energy and be more injury prone. I guess you have more time to do rehab/prehab, stretching and the like.
    Don't crush my dreams!

Maybe I should've been a little more specific -- when I'm retired, my hope is that I'll be able to train as much as I want to and I'll be able to place swimming in a higher priority position in my life. It's pretty high right now, but work dominates / consumes so much of my time and energy that I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have that 'barrier' to my swimming.