View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Wed, Nov 20, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , November 20th, 2013 at 08:25 AM (436 Views)
Missed the first 150 of warm up

400 back/free
400 pull
200 breast kick
10 x 50 stroke/free (breast/free) on :50
100 easy
2 x 400 w/:20 rest between each of these & the following
2 x 300
2 x 200
2 x 100
That was a HARD set! My triceps were almost burning
100 easy
150 to make up for the 150 I missed in warm-up
300 kick
400 breast - OMG I was breathing hard after this
100 cool down

Total: 4600 SCY

I've decided the best thing about weights is the two weeks you take off when you taper. The rest of the time you're just always tired.

Submit "Wed, Nov 20, 2013" to Digg Submit "Wed, Nov 20, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed, Nov 20, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed, Nov 20, 2013" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. mcnair's Avatar
    I couldn't agree more on the weights!!!
  2. Celestial's Avatar
    hahaha!
  3. Karl_S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    I couldn't agree more on the weights!!!
    'second that! After every dry land session I almost have to adjust my intervals in the pool for the next 3 days!
  4. Celestial's Avatar
    Karl, sounds like you need more dry land sessions!!
  5. Karl_S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Karl, sounds like you need more dry land sessions!!
    Hmmm. I usually get in 2 dry land sessions per week of 1:30-1:45 each. Recently I've been getting an "extra" one now and then so in October, for example, I did 12 sessions. I think it is just that they are exhausting. About a week ago I noticed that my times in workout were remarkably fast, then I looked at my training log. I found that I had missed a couple of dry-land sessions. As long as I know the speed will be there when I taper off the dry lands, I guess it's ok, but I et discouraged when I can't make intervals that typically are do-able for me.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Hmmm. I usually get in 2 dry land sessions per week of 1:30-1:45 each. Recently I've been getting an "extra" one now and then so in October, for example, I did 12 sessions. I think it is just that they are exhausting. About a week ago I noticed that my times in workout were remarkably fast, then I looked at my training log. I found that I had missed a couple of dry-land sessions. As long as I know the speed will be there when I taper off the dry lands, I guess it's ok, but I et discouraged when I can't make intervals that typically are do-able for me.
    Which makes one wonder --- is it better to be going as fast as you can in the pool? Will the speed be there if you haven't gone fast in practice? idk, we geezers probably need to do some drylands to retain muscle mass as we age, but more than 2x a week is out for me! I haven't really done any all season.
  7. Celestial's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Hmmm. I usually get in 2 dry land sessions per week of 1:30-1:45 each. Recently I've been getting an "extra" one now and then so in October, for example, I did 12 sessions. I think it is just that they are exhausting.
    Wow Karl! You get in a lot more dry land than I do - which may be why I don't have to adjust my intervals that much. I am always really tired on Friday's workouts (after T & Th dry lands/weights), then again, Mondays suck too, and Wednesdays are awful, lol! I think my goal is to get myself going faster, or repeating faster on my sets (measured set for me is 12 x 100 @ 1:20) despite being tired from weights/dry lands. Then when I taper & stop weights for 3 weeks, the energy floods in and hopefully I'll swim really fast!
  8. Celestial's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Which makes one wonder --- is it better to be going as fast as you can in the pool? Will the speed be there if you haven't gone fast in practice?
    Perhaps we're supposed to go as hard and as fast as we can, even when we're tired. When we're able to go as fast as "normal" when we're dead tired, then we ought to be able to go faster than that when we're rested, right? At least that's what I'm banking on. Also, I don't want to get osteoporosis, and dry land exercises help to keep the body limber and flexible - which is what motivated me to start them in the first place.
  9. Karl_S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    (measured set for me is 12 x 100 @ 1:20) despite being tired from weights/dry lands. Then when I taper & stop weights for 3 weeks, the energy floods in and hopefully I'll swim really fast!
    nx100/1:20 is a benchmark for me too. n=10 is good. I once did n=16. I never tried more, but suspect that n=20 is do-able on a good day. I have done 10x(100 fr/1:20 + 100 bk/1:30).
    I start tapering drylands about 2.5 weeks out from a big competition, and drop them entirely about 7-10 days out. Definitely gives me a boost in energy. I don't know if I would get the same if I never did drylands and just did swim workouts instead. For sure I'd still get a boost from taper, but would I be a faster overall swimmer with no drylands and more swimming? It's probably a moot point because I typically do the drylands on days when it would be difficult of impossible to get to a pool. I think the drylands are important for overall health too.