View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 60 - Wednesday

Rate this Entry
I lifted last night and focused on my upper body(Thursday will be legs). I had a great nights sleep but my shoulders and arms in particular were sore.

3x(bench press, inclined bench press, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull down hands inside, lat pull down hands outside, medicine ball throw high, medicine ball throw from chest, medicine ball throw down).

I did did my normal 10,8,6 reps per machine and was beat by the end.

Todays swim i felt very tired.

Warmup
400 swim with snorkel
8x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
4x(4x25 AFAP on 30, 400 swim on 4.40)
200 easy
2x(3x200 IM on 2.40, 200 free on 2.40 easy)
100 easy
10x50 free with fins on 30

warm down
200 easy

Total 5400scy

i worked the 25 going 12s and 13s. The 400s I held 1.05 pace. The 200 IMs I held 2.25-2.27s. The second round I dropped off a little. As is usual with the swims with fins these were harder than they sound and I held 28-29s.

Submit "Week 60 - Wednesday" to Digg Submit "Week 60 - Wednesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 60 - Wednesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 60 - Wednesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

As is usual with the swims with fins these were harder than they sound and I held 28-29s.
    I agree. It's been a few years since I've used them, but my experience is even though you CAN swim much faster with fins, there's no way you can actually maintain a pace for long that's much faster than you usually swim without them. It just takes too much energy.
    For me, swimming with fins, in addition to the challenges both you and Kirk mention, have the additional challenge that they just throw the timing of my stroke off. I like kicking with fins, but don't like swimming any stroke with fins.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    For me, swimming with fins, in addition to the challenges both you and Kirk mention, have the additional challenge that they just throw the timing of my stroke off. I like kicking with fins, but don't like swimming any stroke with fins.
    I found the same problem. I just couldn't kick with the long fins fast enough to match the turnover speed I was doing. My USAS coach found that for a few of us, me and a 17 year old girl, that we could actually sprint a 100 from a push FASTER without fins than we could with the fins on. With short fins it's a little better. I primarily just use the short fins now for SDKs.
    We don't often use short fins for some reason. I like the long fins at the beginning of a taper when am trying to swim on top of the water for short sprints, but the pace work they don't seem to do much and in fact I too think I can swim quicker on these types of sets without fins.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I agree. It's been a few years since I've used them,
    You distance freestyler non-kickers are funny. I am way faster with fins. But I probably kick 2/3 of my workout bc I'm UW all the time. I've heard that Lochte uses fins for an hour each practice. I don't use zoomers, but most coaches use them for fast feet on freestyle or flutter kick work.
    my experience is even though you CAN swim much faster with fins, there's no way you can actually maintain a pace for long that's much faster than you usually swim without them.
    My USAS coach found that for a few of us, me and a 17 year old girl, that we could actually sprint a 100 from a push FASTER without fins than we could with the fins on.
    You distance freestyler non-kickers are funny. I am way faster with fins.
    I don't know if I am a distance freestyler, but my HS coach thought I was. In any case, I am substantially faster with fins, but slower with paddles. I haven't tried a long set with fins so I am unsure how long I could swim and still be faster with fins, but I expect it would be quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You distance freestyler non-kickers are funny. I am way faster with fins. But I probably kick 2/3 of my workout bc I'm UW all the time. I've heard that Lochte uses fins for an hour each practice. I don't use zoomers, but most coaches use them for fast feet on freestyle or flutter kick work.
    Its not that they dont allow you to swim fast, quite the opposite; when I tapered for Nationals I did a lot of fast long rest work with fins aimed at my 200,100 and 50 and they got me up in the water and I flew. Where I struggle is these short rest high intensity long sets that us non kickers do(10x100 on 1 min seems to be my coaches favorite). After the third 100 (or in todays case 50), I see know speed benefit and actually the fins make it harder to flip turn and to touch and turn between 100's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    I don't know if I am a distance freestyler
    Embrace your inner distance tendencies Karl!!! Despite Fort being an unbelievable swimmer, all the cool cats are distance swimmers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    In any case, I am substantially faster with fins, but slower with paddles. I haven't tried a long set with fins so I am unsure how long I could swim and still be faster with fins, but I expect it would be quite a while.
    I am almost certain on the 10x100 set my coach has me do on 1min, I can make more using pulling with paddles than I can swimming with the fins. On a standalone 100 I am much quicker with fins than pulling. I think my problem is that I have chicken legs(as my wife affectionately calls them) and they tire pretty quickly. I am working on this but it is slow going.