View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 60 - Thursday

Rate this Entry
I woke feeling good this morning and my stiffness from weights had really subsided. As today's workout went on I got more and more tired and by the end I was positively beat. I hope today was simply one of those days where you have to power through and tomorrow I am feeling better. I plan on lifting tonight and doing legs so I suspect I will be sore tomorrow(how about that for a positive attitude).

Todays workout

Warm up
800 swum kick, swim, drill, swim by 50

Main sets
4x(4x50 kick on 45, 100 fast on 1.20)
4x(4x50 free on 32.5, 2x300 pull on 3.30)

Warm down
200 easy

Total 5400scy

On the kick 50s I held 40s and the fast 100 I went 1.05s(these felt much quicker based on my level of effort). The 4x50s free on short rest I held 29s throughout but the last two sets I really had to work the last 2 x 50s to hold the pace. The 300s were swum as an active recovery and I was getting about 10 seconds rest. Overall I was pleased I held this one together because it was a hard workout. There was a high school kid in the lane next to me doing some broken 200s when I was doing my 4x50s free and it helped having a rabbit; although I don't think he was very impressed with the old guy running him down!

Submit "Week 60 - Thursday" to Digg Submit "Week 60 - Thursday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 60 - Thursday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 60 - Thursday" to Google

Updated November 21st, 2013 at 09:03 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

although I don't think he was very impressed with the old guy running him down!
    Maybe in 20-30 years, he'll reflect back on it and be impressed.

When I was in HS, we had an 'old guy' (he was probably mid-to-late 20s as he was in a PhD program nearby) who trained with us. It was a bit odd at first, but he quickly became 'one of the guys' and hung with us through some very brutal, old school animal lane workouts. I actually ran into him again after 25-30 years at Omaha Nationals and was finally able to express how impressed I was (in hindsight) with him working out with us all those years ago.
    I had a similar experience as a kid, except our masters swimmer was a vet and was one of the kids dads. All i vividly recall is he had a really old(from the perspective of a 13 year old) face and had he had a six pack. Perspective is a wonderful thing and yes I suspect in 30 years I will remembered as that old dude who he swam with!