View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:05-10:50am

Rate this Entry
I've got a new slogan to put on a shirt:
"My old warmup is now my entire workout".

Not sure if that's a good thing, but that's the road I'm on now. I'm getting a good amount of swimming in, fairly high on the intensity/effort on short rest, with a good mix of fly as well, but I just don't have the time or energy to put forth what I was doing in the years past. The life of a masters swimmer...always changing, just deal with it the best you can.

500 Free, build the last 200 to a sprint

8 x 125 Free Pull @ 1:40 (started holding 1:25s, descended down to 1:20 on the final one)

Kick Set w/ short fins:
200 SDK on back @ 3:00
150 SDK on back @ 2:30
100 SDK on back @ 1:30
50 SDK on back @ :30 (went :34) ugh!

100 EZ

16 x 25 @ :30 Odds Fly, Evens Free EZ

100 EZ and out

------------------------------------
2600 Yards

Yesterday morning I went in for a swim, thinking I could work out a pinched nerve in my neck/back/shoulderblade area, but I was wrong. It was unbearable to rotate my head to the right side, which is my normal breathing side. I felt like I was drowning if I tried to breathe to the left as well, so I called it quits after a measley 1200 Yards.

After the night of work, it felt better, at least a little, so I decided I'd try out the AB Ripper X DVD from the P90X series. I know I'm in decent shape from my work and my swimming, but that workout is tough!! I could barely get through half of the 15 minute ab workout before having to turn it off, and of those 8 minutes, I may have only actually done 1/2 of the reps that they fitness gurus were doing. I spent more time laying on my back in recovery mode than anything else! I'll keep going for it though on a nightly basis. Maybe I'll be able to do the whole 15 minutes one day.

Submit "Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:05-10:50am" to Digg Submit "Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:05-10:50am" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:05-10:50am" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:05-10:50am" to Google

Comments

The life of a masters swimmer...always changing, just deal with it the best you can.
    So true, especially since you've got 40, 50, or more years in the sport!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I sure hope so!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Agree. I could never have trained like you used to (USA & meets) when my kids were young. In 10 years, you'll have much much more free time. In the meantime, just stay in decent shape. That's the ticket to a more serious comeback.

I haven't touched a weight or tried P90X in so long I'm sure I couldn't do it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I haven't touched a weight or tried P90X in so long I'm sure I couldn't do it either.
    I did the Ab Ripper again last night, and as soon as I laid down on the ground, I could feel the muscle "pain" from the night before. I still made it through the video okay...with my extra rest breaks of course.