View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , November 21st, 2013 at 09:27 PM (219 Views)
SCY@FGCU Aquatic Center
Air temp 77 Water temp 82
Sunny & partly cloudy, humidity at 74%

Warm Up
Bands
300 EZ RIM
8x25 on :40, 2x IMO, build strong to fast

*Set 1*
2000 LSD Swim as 5x400 IM
---100 BK
8x25 on :40, 2x IMO, build strong to fast

*Set 2*
2000 LSD FR Swim as 200DR/200S w/snorkel-ap-fins
---100 BR kick/bk
8x25 on 1:00,
1-3-5-7 SDK UW, *15s/14s
2-4-6-8 FR Fast Hyp-0, *12s/11

Warm Down
200 DPS FR
4x25 DPS IMO

Comments
I enjoyed swimming this low key LSD workout. After many years of lap swimming I am quite good at it. With only a slight stiffness in my shoulders now, I feel ready for a good effort quality session tomorrow. Planning to enter the Florida State Senior Games Champs (SCY-in Fort Myers) on Saturday December 15, and then the Coral Springs Holiday Classic (SCM) on December 16th.

Today after returning this week to daily 15-20 minutes of evening light weights, moderate bands, and basic body weight activities, I am beginning to feel less rusty and achy. During the last 4-5 weeks more than usual, I have been sore, achy in my lower back and upper body to the point where I was not motivated to do anything else other than swimming. Previously I only have had two or three days to a week of these achy sessions a few times each year over the last four years, and often could not discern between soreness from training and just general achiness. But starting last April several weeks before the National 5K OW swim, I have had it more frequently and sometimes with more intensity to the point of using OTCs such as Naproxen Sodium, Turmeric, etc. I suspect I will need to see my doctor regarding if there are osteoarthritis issues evolving.

The FGCU Aquatic Center LCM liner repair and renovation is ahead of schedule, but today I noticed that there were a number of leak detection personnel very actively performing various test in the LCM pool, specifically targeting underground pipes below the pool. I hope it does not foreshadow a serious problem.

Submit "Thursday, November 21, 2013" to Digg Submit "Thursday, November 21, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, November 21, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, November 21, 2013" to Google

Updated November 21st, 2013 at 09:48 PM by fdtotten

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I recall you feeling lousy before the OW Nationals. I am sorry you are still suffering from this. I hope you get your mojo back soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I recall you feeling lousy before the OW Nationals. I am sorry you are still suffering from this. I hope you get your mojo back soon.
    Thanks Stewart, as always, for your kind encouraging words. Now that I am finally beginning to understand what aches may be osteoarthritis related, I would say that perhaps it was a factor last April. Having discussed this with a number of active older members at FGCU, I have learned that many people live with those aches and much more daily. So I will keep my complaining to myself and learn to make forward progress as best possible as many others are doing each day. Just as so many USMS forumites provide great examples how to persistently strive towards regular swim training and to compete as possible, each with challenging circumstances, so will I.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Thanks Stewart, as always, for your kind encouraging words. Now that I am finally beginning to understand what aches may be osteoarthritis related, I would say that perhaps it was a factor last April. Having discussed this with a number of active older members at FGCU, I have learned that many people live with those aches and much more daily. So I will keep my complaining to myself and learn to make forward progress as best possible as many others are doing each day. Just as so many USMS forumites provide great examples how to persistently strive towards regular swim training and to compete as possible, each with challenging circumstances, so will I.
    There is not a lot of research on these, but you might look into pregnenelone or MSM for the arthritis symptoms. There is not a person over 50 that doesn't have some burgeoning arthritis and disc degeneration. I put MSM powder in my morning smoothies.