View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

The joy of 10 seconds

Rate this Entry
Last night I swam the evening TNYA workout at Hostos Community College in the South Bronx. This pool was added to our teamís rotation a few weeks ago after the closure of the City College pool cancelled our workouts there. Itís a nice 6-lane 25yd facility, a little on the warm side last night. The best thing about it is that since itís new and a bit out of the way, practices are uncrowded. Last night I enjoyed swimming with just two lanemates, and we got to go 10 seconds apart! I canít remember the last time Iíve done that in a NYC masters workout. For someone who likes space around them when they swim, it was heaven. Scott was on deck, and hereís what I did:

750 scy warmup (various)

8 x 50 @ :55, odds d/s IM order, evens FR shoulder touch drill

300 pull @ some rest-allowing interval
3 x 150 desc. @ 2:35 [I did FR/BK/FR]
100 easy
2 x 100 IM fast @ 3:00 [1:20s]
100 easy

4 x 100 FR @ 1:35
4 x 50 @ 1:25: 25ez/25 fast BK, 25 fast BK/25 ez, 50 fast BK, 50 easy
3 x 100 FR @ 1:30
4 x 50 @ 1:25 as above
2 x 100 FR @ 1:20
4 x 50 @ 1:25 as above
[went :34, :34, :35 on the fast 50s BK]

100 synchro swim with Hannah

That was it!

This morning I swam at Riverbank, sharing a lane with Rondi and John but doing my own thing. I started out pretty tired but perked up during the 200s. Hereís what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, long stretching interlude, 200 IM d/s by 25)

10 x 200 @ :20-:30 rest: 2 pull with paddles, 1 FR/BK halfsie, 1 pwp, 1 FR/BK halsie, 1 IM kick, 1 pwp, 1 FR/BK halfsie, 1 IM kick, 1 IM swim

300 warmdown + play

That was it. I reached my GTD goal of 365 miles today. Looking forward to a beach + massage day tomorrow!

Submit "The joy of 10 seconds" to Digg Submit "The joy of 10 seconds" to del.icio.us Submit "The joy of 10 seconds" to StumbleUpon Submit "The joy of 10 seconds" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

10 seconds is how it should be. I always get bugged when I do swim a team workout and we have only 3 swimmers in the lane and people still go 5 seconds apart.

Is Riverbank always LCM or were you just lucky?
    I'll have to check out that pool the next time I'm in NYC.

I can't believe I've swum more this year than you. You still have some time to get to 500

Are you going to the BU meet in a few weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    10 seconds is how it should be. I always get bugged when I do swim a team workout and we have only 3 swimmers in the lane and people still go 5 seconds apart.

Is Riverbank always LCM or were you just lucky?
    I agree that's how it should be! We rarely have space to do it in masters workouts here. But even when there is room, wherever I've swum masters, there always seems to be at least one swimmer in every lane who thinks pacing means trying to hang on the feet of the swimmer in front of him, and so is very resistant to the 10-second idea.

Riverbank is long course every morning from 6:30 to 8:30. We had a little blip this fall with some scy mornings while they fixed the bulkhead, but things are now back to their usual setup. Hurray LCM!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I'll have to check out that pool the next time I'm in NYC.

I can't believe I've swum more this year than you. You still have some time to get to 500

Are you going to the BU meet in a few weeks?
    It's a convenient pool if you're staying near the 2/4/5 lines. Hostos is right on the same block as the subway entrances.

This wasn't a big swimming year for me. It felt good to focus on the diving and dial down the intensity of my swimming for a bit. I don't have any distance goals for the rest of the year--I've made peace with not getting a free swimsuit!

i won't be at the BU meet. I might do the local end-of-year meet at Asphalt Green on the 8th.