View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:30-7:30am

Rate this Entry
Holy cow, this was early!! I haven't been up for swimming this early in a while, and it was rough after such little sleep! I had to take advantage of the day my wife is home from work though, and before I have to get in to work early today as well. My boss said they're locking the doors for the "weekend" till Saturday at 6:00pm tonight, so if I want to get my 8 hours in I need to get it done before that. So in at 9:00am I go...like a wet zombie.

I haven't swam since Saturday, and the 3 days out of the water I could definitely feel. Still I made us of the time best I could:

500 Free stretchout EZ
(500/500)

5 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:40 (went under 1:20s)
5 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (struggled to make 1:10s, more like 1:12s)
5 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20
(1500/2000)

10 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (went :48s)
(500/2500)

100 EZ

8 x 25 Fly Fast @ :30

100 EZ

8 x 25 Fly Fast @ :30

100 EZ

-------------------------------
3200 Yards

As I was finishing the swim, I looked over at the lady's workout sheet next to me. She was a good swimmer...I could tell she had done swim team work before, but definitely a tri-swimmer now. On her workout plan at the top was listed the goal for the day: "Nothing important, just putting in time." <-- WTF??!!? Not important? Talk about garbage yardage...but I guess that's what they do anyway, right?

Submit "Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:30-7:30am" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:30-7:30am" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:30-7:30am" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:30-7:30am" to Google

Comments

Thats hilarious. We have a couple of Triathletes who work there tails off so I am not sure if the stereotype fits! "Nothing important, just putting in time." sounds like something a prison inmate would say.
    I got a chuckle out of it for sure. If it's not important, then why are you there?
    Sometimes I do something similar - I don't have the heart for a "real" workout, but I know I need to keep up with my fitness, so I just do distance sets (I wouldn't call it "nothing important". maybe "nothing specific"). Usually don't start out with a goal, but wind up deciding to do something like 4x500 or something about 6 lengths in. What I'm more confused with is, if that's the workout, why does she need to write it down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Neustadt
    Sometimes I do something similar - I don't have the heart for a "real" workout, but I know I need to keep up with my fitness, so I just do distance sets (I wouldn't call it "nothing important". maybe "nothing specific"). Usually don't start out with a goal, but wind up deciding to do something like 4x500 or something about 6 lengths in. What I'm more confused with is, if that's the workout, why does she need to write it down?
    Almost all of my workouts are made up "on the fly" as I'm swimming. Warmups, kick sets, main sets, all of them. I sort of start swimming, sometimes the 100s turn into 150s, or 300s, depending how I feel. Also descending interval sets are something that I just 'go with the flow'. It's easier to do this swimming on my own.
    But as for a workout that is "nothing important", I don't believe in that. Everything I do has a purpose, mainly training for my 200 Fly/500 Free type of events. I also still try to train my kicking, which is a carryover from my last year of training with the age group team.