View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 61 - Friday AM

Rate this Entry
I know I am a very sad crazy man but I woke excited about swimming with the senior racer group this morning; it was almost that feeling before a meet; nervous energy.

I had a great Thanksgiving with my wife and two kids, it was quiet but very relaxed. We went for a walk mid afternoon and watched the entire lord of the rings trilogy(12 hrs) which included a 2 hour knap at the start of Two Towers. My wife cooked a great dinner and I went to bed quite early and had a great nights sleep.

Today's workout with the senior racers was as follows.

Warm up
600 reverse IM swum by 50 kick, drill, swim

Transition set
8x50 free on 40 smooth
8x25 kick on 25 smooth
6x50 free on 45 moderate
6x25 kick on 30 moderate
4x50 free on 50 strong
4x25 kick on 35 strong
2x50 free on 55 fast
2x25 kick on 40 fast
100 easy

Main sets
6x(200 kick on 3.15 swum 150 strong, 50 fast, 400 free on 4.45 swum negative split second 200 by at least 5 seconds, 100 drill on 2mins active recovery)
100 easy
24x25 on 30 swum as 2 streamline fly kick, 2 stroke

Warm down
200 easy

Total 7300scy

Coach Neil Walker was on deck and the workout was tough but also fun. There is one kid who is going to Texas and who in my opinion before he graduates will be a stud(Jared Butler) who is faster than everyone and I tried hanging onto him as long as I could. Coach Walker gave Jared crap on #3 of the main set by telling him that old man river should not be able to beat him, which definitely perked him up(me too). I held 4.10s on the 400s. The kick is a real challenge for me and when it came to the 50 fast kick most of the kids smoked me, reinforcing my need to work on my leg strength(despite my kick improving considerably its still weak). I held 2.55s on the kick while the fast kids were going 2.45s with there last 50 being 35ish. The drill was active recovery. This was a long set but I did not drop off and felt strong even at he end. The 25s were an interesting way to finish and on the swims I was holding 12-13s and the kick I was 18-19s.

The second practice this afternoon is from 3-5pm so it's time for some food, a quick knap and back to the pool. Coach Walker was threatening broken 500s this afternoon so we shall see. I had a blast this morning and I am looking forward to this afternoons workout; it's like being a kid again. I also think some of the kids who had not swum with me previously were surprised the old man could hang with them!

Submit "Week 61 - Friday AM" to Digg Submit "Week 61 - Friday AM" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 61 - Friday AM" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 61 - Friday AM" to Google

Updated November 29th, 2013 at 01:55 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Very cool Stewart! Looks like you did a great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Very cool Stewart! Looks like you did a great job.
    Thanks Kirk, I had a blast and my only regret is that I can't swim with kids more often. The session times make it impossible for me to swim with them due to work. The coaches policy is that if you can't make a majority of the workouts then you cant swim with his group. I get to swim with them very infrequently and actually swim with the junior racer group more frequently because my masters coach also coaches that group, but even those are few and far between. I am making the most of today though.
    there is nothing sad about waking up excited to train with age groupers. Everyone else is crazy not wanting to step up to the challenge. Nice job. Plus, you have a big name swimmer coaching on deck this morning!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    The coaches policy is that if you can't make a majority of the workouts then you cant swim with his group.
    Certainly understandable. I'm lucky my coach is cool with me getting in 30 minutes late. Unfortunately it means I don't get much of a warmup.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    there is nothing sad about waking up excited to train with age groupers. Everyone else is crazy not wanting to step up to the challenge. Nice job. Plus, you have a big name swimmer coaching on deck this morning!?!
    Well my wife for one thinks I am nuts. As you know until you swim with the kids you don't know what you are missing. They have so much energy and it takes you back. Also it grounds me when I get my butt whooped and shows me that if I want to achieve my goal I have a lot to work on(especially my kick).Neil was a great swimmer, he is a great coach and is an all around nice guy who loves the sport. The kids at our club don't know how lucky they have it; the facility is world class, the access to pool time is unbelievable and they have some of the best coaches, all around a really great setup!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Certainly understandable. I'm lucky my coach is cool with me getting in 30 minutes late. Unfortunately it means I don't get much of a warmup.
    Yes you are lucky but it's hard just jumping in and going. The older I get the harder i find it to swim fast without a decent warmup.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Well my wife for one thinks I am nuts. As you know until you swim with the kids you don't know what you are missing.
    I totally agree. We sometimes swim with the kids groups and it is always so different than a typical masters workout.
    Back in June while I visited my brother in the Cleveland area, I swam with what I first thought was a masters group; it turned out to be a kids group with maybe 6 or so masters swimmers. Even down toward the slower side, we still got in a decent distance, and I certainly pushed myself. I'll never forget one guy I swam with who said, "after workouts like this, I can eat whatever I want" (and I did too!)
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I'll never forget one guy I swam with who said, "after workouts like this, I can eat whatever I want" (and I did too!)
    Thats definately the other big advantage. I am still not drinking any alcohol but I know a number of guys I swim with only train so they can drink and not gain weight.