View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Vandalized, Sat. Nov. 30

Rate this Entry
Had a rotten day yesterday. I went to coach a masters practice Friday am between 9:30-11:00. When I came back out, my car had been vandalized, brick thrown through window, other damage and my backpack stolen. Neither my purse or wallet was in the car; no idea why someone would vandalize a car in broad daylight for just a backpack. And I was parked right behind the pool, not in one of the really creepy city neighborhoods. Unfortunately, I'm out over $1000. In my backpack was: a spare Speedo LZR Elite tech suit (from my last meet), Tom Ford sunglasses, a new pair of Speedo LZR Elite goggles worth $75 that USMS had given me to product test, new arena cobra racing goggles, 3-4 pairs of speedo speed sockets, caps including my Aqua V racing cap, nose clips, my new fins and $100+ of toiletries. Probably several thousand dollars of damage to the car. Really really sucky. At least my training suit and shammy towel were on the drying rack at home. I guess I'm going to have to pay for parking from here on out, which will really add up on a daily basis ... Jerks!!!

As a result of that fiasco, I didn't get to swim yesterday and had taken Thanksgiving off. I made it to Sewickley today. I had a single pair of goggles at home. Kind of a desultory swim. I was still grumpy and there was a huge kids party taking up most of the pool.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
4 x 50 scull
4 x 50 caterpillar fly drill
4 x 25 shooter + 25 EZ
50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise
100 EZ

3 x (50 @ 100 pace + 100 EZ)

3 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)

4 x 50 DPS free
100 EZ

Total: 2600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm signed up for the Sewickley Y meet tomorrow. I'm not really in the mood for racing. But I'll go to the meet just to get in the water since Pitt is still closed. I will probably scratch the 50 fly unless I can get into an earlier heat. I'm in lane 1 with three ladders sticking out in an all male final heat.

Submit "Vandalized, Sat. Nov. 30" to Digg Submit "Vandalized, Sat. Nov. 30" to del.icio.us Submit "Vandalized, Sat. Nov. 30" to StumbleUpon Submit "Vandalized, Sat. Nov. 30" to Google

Updated November 30th, 2013 at 05:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Well, that's just a $#!++y thing to happen! People can be so stupid at times, and sorry it happened to you.
    That really sucks. So sorry to hear the bad news.
    Wow, that really is horrible, sorry to hear the bad news. Are there any surveillance cameras nearby that could have caught anything?

That heat of fly sounds dreadful, I'd certainly skip it, well if I would ever sign up for a 50 fly and that happened to me. You'd think they'd keep the end lanes vacant, especially one that has ladders sticking out in it.

Are you still going to the BU meet?
    that is insane that someone would steal swimming equipment. Between this and the awful people fighting at Black Friday sales, some people are out of their minds these days. I don't blame you for being grumpy. They stole those expensive goggles, wtf! I hope that there are some cameras in this parking lot that got these lowlifes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Well, that's just a $#!++y thing to happen! People can be so stupid at times, and sorry it happened to you.
    People can just be dishonest sh*ts! I don't care if they're poor -- right from wrong people.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, that really is horrible, sorry to hear the bad news. Are there any surveillance cameras nearby that could have caught anything?

That heat of fly sounds dreadful, I'd certainly skip it, well if I would ever sign up for a 50 fly and that happened to me. You'd think they'd keep the end lanes vacant, especially one that has ladders sticking out in it.

Are you still going to the BU meet?
    I was across the street from the pool near residential units. I doubt cameras would look that far.

Yeah, I'm not into complete crap swimming. As it is, one end of the pool is 3 feet deep. I'll prolly crash on my backstroke turn.

Still going to BU! I wish Rich was going this year, but he's out.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    that is insane that someone would steal swimming equipment. Between this and the awful people fighting at Black Friday sales, some people are out of their minds these days. I don't blame you for being grumpy. They stole those expensive goggles, wtf! I hope that there are some cameras in this parking lot that got these lowlifes.
    I suppose they hoped there was a wallet or some cash in it. But what are the odds of that really? Yeah, bummed about the tech suit and goggles. They probably just threw the backpack away when they realized it was only swim stuff. Real lowlifes.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    That really sucks. So sorry to hear the bad news.
    Yeah, it sucks. Rough transition to Pitt for me. This is what comes of not having one single decent public pool in any suburb.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yeah, it sucks. Rough transition to Pitt for me. This is what comes of not having one single decent public pool in any suburb.
    Stay strong Fort, this could happen anywhere and at any time. It really does suck, and it could not have happened to a nicer person. You will come through this and Pitt will become a great home for you and your family. Change is always tough, even without these crappy things happening. You will come through this, I promise!
    That stinks!

I can relate to loss from vandalism, a few weeks ago my locker was zip-tie locked by kids in the locker room. I couldn't get to my clothes and was running late for work so I had to open it myself cutting my hand in the process. On another account last year, my tail-light was smashed in the parking lot at another pool, was just at deductable too. The theft part is even worse, I can also relate with that too, my house was robbed several years ago and the insurance headache was a year long fiasco. Hope it resolves smoothly for you
    And I was parked right behind the pool, not in one of the really creepy city neighborhoods.
    Unfortunately this kind of thing seems to happen everywhere these days. Drug addicts and kids (of all economic strata) are the primary culprits, I suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    That stinks!

I can relate to loss from vandalism, a few weeks ago my locker was zip-tie locked by kids in the locker room. I couldn't get to my clothes and was running late for work so I had to open it myself cutting my hand in the process. On another account last year, my tail-light was smashed in the parking lot at another pool, was just at deductable too. The theft part is even worse, I can also relate with that too, my house was robbed several years ago and the insurance headache was a year long fiasco. Hope it resolves smoothly for you
    Yikes, a house robbery would be much worse and make you really paranoid. I am bummed about it. My home deductible is $1000, so I'm just out all the swim stuff I lost. My car is likely going to be a lot more than the deductible. My second insurance claim since I moved to Pitt (got rear ended a few months ago).
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Unfortunately this kind of thing seems to happen everywhere these days. Drug addicts and kids (of all economic strata) are the primary culprits, I suspect.
    Yeah, I guess. I'm not that psyched about having to swim at a pool with that kind of problem though. I'll be paranoid for the rest of December for sure.
    Yeah, the mental impact these things have is the worst. The stuff can be replaced. Your peace of mind cannot.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yeah, the mental impact these things have is the worst. The stuff can be replaced. Your peace of mind cannot.
    Exactly, I wouldn't rule out muggings or purse snatchings at night after practice when it's dark.