View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Y Meet, Dec. 1

Rate this Entry
My second Y meet is in the books. I made it out to Sewickley even though I wasn't super excited to race; I would have preferred a workout. Perhaps not the best idea to have done a sprint workout yesterday, but I was viewing this meet as a speed workout. I did a longer warm up than usual.

50 fly, 26.7

Ew, badly executed race. Breakouts were bad again, I scraped the bottom coming off the turn on the 3 feet deep end and then banged my hand on the lane line after correcting for that. Felt kinda awful too. I didn't even expect to break 27, so I guess the time isn't too bad considering. I swam in Water Rat's lane since he decided to skip the meet. I wish there was someway to correct my breakout issues. I just can't sense the water on my back/arms and have to lift my head slightly to see, which causes serious drag. My fly has felt great in practice, so I need to put this race in the rear view mirror.

25 free, 11.6

Technically, this is a PR. But there was manual timing for the 25s, so that could have factored in. Legs felt tired.


50 back, NS

Skipped 50 back bc I had no interest in hitting the bottom off the turn.


25 breast, 14.6

This is likewise a PR and faster than my 15.0 from the Sprint Classic. But again, I may have benefitted from manual timing.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This may be my last Y meet this season. I just can't stand the shallow water. Today, I flinched slightly during every start where the pool goes from 12 to 4-5 feet deep abruptly about 10 yards from the start. Maybe I should stick with free or breast at these meets.

Jim and I did 10 x 50 EZ @ 1:00 as a warm down when the meet was over.

I'm glad it's now taper time! 12 days to NE Champs. I'm going to rest hard. My body needs it as I haven't really had any quality rest since I started training more seriously in early September. I'm going to NYC next weekend with friends to goof around and see some shows. Not the best timing with a taper meet the next weekend, but life is important too. So far, there are only 313 swimmers signed up for NE Champs, which about 200 less than last year. I hope more people sign up. I like this meet because there is so much rest.

I'm more tired than I should be right now ...

Submit "Y Meet, Dec. 1" to Digg Submit "Y Meet, Dec. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Y Meet, Dec. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Y Meet, Dec. 1" to Google

Updated December 1st, 2013 at 05:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. pwb's Avatar
    Egads! 3 foot depth would be even shallow for me, Mr. Get Me To the Surface AFAP after the pushoff.

    Enjoy the rest.

    I don't know where the Southern Pacific meet has been in the past, but it looks to only be at 400 swimmers and, I think, they are usually much larger than that. Of course, the move from Long Beach might have a big impact.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Egads! 3 foot depth would be even shallow for me, Mr. Get Me To the Surface AFAP after the pushoff.

    Enjoy the rest.

    I don't know where the Southern Pacific meet has been in the past, but it looks to only be at 400 swimmers and, I think, they are usually much larger than that. Of course, the move from Long Beach might have a big impact.
    Yeah, 3 feet is just unacceptable for SDKs and causes me too much frustration. I don't see a need to be frustrated at meets I attend.

    I have to look up the psych sheet and swimmers for that meet!
  3. aztimm's Avatar
    Great meet and good job on the 50 Fly
    Did you noticed much turbulence from the other swimmers?
    That pool sounds worse than my gym pool. I'd guess my gym pool is 3-4' at the shallow end and 5-6' at the deep end. You'd be in paradise if you could swim at Kino

    I hope that more people register for the NE Champs meet. I wonder if more will register at the last minute? Or if it would have been better to have it the weekend earlier...
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great meet and good job on the 50 Fly
    Did you noticed much turbulence from the other swimmers?
    That pool sounds worse than my gym pool. I'd guess my gym pool is 3-4' at the shallow end and 5-6' at the deep end. You'd be in paradise if you could swim at Kino

    I hope that more people register for the NE Champs meet. I wonder if more will register at the last minute? Or if it would have been better to have it the weekend earlier...
    Thanks! I guess anytime I'm sub 27, it's a good swim. I worked for years to get under 27 after all.

    I felt some turbulence. The guy next to me went 22.9. I had an empty lane on the other side. Sewickley has a deep end at the start, but nothing is worse than 3 feet of depth.

    I hope more people register! I need my rest. NE Champs has always been held this weekend, so I don't think it's that. Although I'd probably prefer the weekend before myself.
  5. Water Rat's Avatar
    I swam in Water Rat's lane since he decided to skip the meet.
    I only skipped for you my dear! I thought you would prefer the empty lane between you and Tamas!
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I only skipped for you my dear! I thought you would prefer the empty lane between you and Tamas!
    I opted to avoid the wall and 3 ladders and pole sticking out!

    I think you're going to set a record for scratching Y meets. But I can see how it's hard to drag yourself away from the family on a Sunday to swim in a crappy pool. Make sure to do some starts at Pitt.
  7. rodent's Avatar
    Good Luck in Boston!
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodent
    Good Luck in Boston!
    Thanks Jack!
  9. sglines's Avatar
    Looking forward to seeing you in Boston .... At least we wont have the shallow problem there. xoxoxsusie
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sglines
    Looking forward to seeing you in Boston .... At least we wont have the shallow problem there. xoxoxsusie
    Glad you will be there. I don't know a soul there on Sunday. That's one reason I come -- nice pool, lots of rest!