View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 62 - Monday morning training camp workout #1

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I had a very easy day yesterday. Initially i hung out in the garden raking leaves with my daughter, she is at a great age and still wants to hang out with Dad. Later in the day I helped my son with his homework. It still amazes me how he leaves everything to the last minute; a week off from school and we are starting homework at 5pm the night before he goes back to school. His homework was to apply for a scholarship; he is in middle school so it's definately starting early, but I think a great idea. My kids are both like me, my daughter is the swimmer and my son is the nerd. My son loves math and science and ended up finding a competition sponsored by Raytheon and had a few ideas for how math affects his life:

http://www.raytheon.com/responsibili...rtn_158801.pdf
He initially wanted to show how math is used in being a couch potato, he even drew pictures and formulas, but ended up outlining how math is used in video games.

I had a good nights sleep but woke with a stiff neck again. Going back to my FLOG in April when I did my pre Nationals training camp I had the same problem and suspect its from Fridays kicking with the kick board. I have the heating pad on it as I write and will heat and ice until it feels better. We did more kick today but I tried focusing on not lifting my head too high. I tried using my snorkel but my feet and butt are too high and I don't get any power in my kick.

Today's workout

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
4x500 pull with paddles descend on 6.30
200 easy
10x100 kick swum on 2mins, swum 4 holding 1.30, 3 holding 1.25,2 holding 1.20,1 AFAP.
100 easy
10x50 free on 1 min, swum 4 holding 40, 3 holding 35, 2 holding 30, 1 holding 25

Warm down
200 easy breathing every 5

Total 4700scy

We don't normally swim the 500s with much rest so the descend is usually pretty minimal. My coach wanted a big descend and I went 5.30,5.20,5.10,5.00. I did not feel great at the beginning but got into a nice rhythm and by the end was feeling pretty strong. My pull continues to improve which is great sign. The kick was tough getting going and on the 1.30s I felt quite tired. I held 1.28s on these, then as I dropped I felt better, going 1.22s on the 1.25, 1.19s on the 1.20 and 1.20 on the last one. I was beat after #9 and the last 50 i felt like i was swimming in molasses. My kick has improved but it still sucks and if I can improve this one area I think I will have a great year in 2014. The 50s I comfortably held 30s and on the last three went 28,27,24.

I am heading back to the pool for a second workout at 11.30 and will do weights and the vasa bench for an hour then do a meet warmup followed by a quality set and a warm down. I will then be back at the pool for my third workout at 4.30pm to train with the senior racer group for a two hour workout. I like the idea of the lower yardage morning workout and a quality set workout at lunch time. The curve ball will be the evening workout, because the kids do some hellacious workouts. I am always up for a challenge but need to listen to my body throughout the week so I don't overdo it and get an injury. I am excited about the week ahead!

Submit "Week 62 - Monday morning training camp workout #1" to Digg Submit "Week 62 - Monday morning training camp workout #1" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 62 - Monday morning training camp workout #1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 62 - Monday morning training camp workout #1" to Google

Updated December 2nd, 2013 at 09:26 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Hope your neck starts feeling better! Hope you have a nice camp week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Hope your neck starts feeling better! Hope you have a nice camp week.
    Thanks Nikki.
    I take it you took the week off work for your "training camp"? Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I take it you took the week off work for your "training camp"? Good luck!
    Yes I am taking the week off. It's the only realistic way of being able to do a camp like this and get the rest and food needed between sessions. A last big push before I taper. Should be fun! Hopefully the old bones hold up.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Yes I am taking the week off. It's the only realistic way of being able to do a camp like this and get the rest and food needed between sessions. A last big push before I taper. Should be fun! Hopefully the old bones hold up.
    So how do the kids do it as well? They have to miss school for it? That seems a bit much to miss schooling for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    So how do the kids do it as well? They have to miss school for it? That seems a bit much to miss schooling for this.
    i need to be clearer in my descriptions. I am taking the week off work and I am doing 3 workouts a day. The morning session is with the masters, the middle session is with my masters coach and the afternoon/evening session is with the kids. I did something similar before spring Nationals and I liked it(well actually I liked how I felt two weeks after the camp when the yardage started dropping). I am guessing I a. the only crazy person who uses vacation time to put himself through this kind of torture. I think I have a few OCD tendencies!!!
    How does your wife feel about you using vacation time to put in thriple practices?
    You would have to ask her, she is not talking to me at the moment

Seriously though, she is ok with me using the vacation time and overall is VERY supportive and if I could nominate her for sainthood I would. Despite not liking the quality of the seating, the greenhouse temperatures in the pool, my chlorine after shave and the twitching at night she is very supportive.

Its our 20th wedding anniversary next year and after Montreal we are heading to Quebec City for a real family vacation and I have promised I will not swim while in Quebec City(I may have to drive somewhere to find a pool outside the city limits).
    Its our 20th wedding anniversary next year and after Montreal we are heading to Quebec City for a real family vacation and I have promised I will not swim while in Quebec City(I may have to drive somewhere to find a pool outside the city limits).
    Sounds like a good plan all around!